Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Overwhelmingly male and over 45 years old/Model 3 Don't Die

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
36, male. 3 kids.

With the 60D, likely ordering an X soon, so will be a 2 Tesla house.
Giving my minivan (2014 toyota Sienna I own) to my parents. They will lend it to us for our occasional long road trips.

Anyway, wonder what the demographics are for the X.

Reactions: Chopr147
28, male and wife is 28 too. I've wanted one for 3+ years and have lusted over them dearly. Her car is in worse shape than mine and in need of replacement so I said she could pick a new car first. She chose the model S, so I guess we both win even though it's her daily driver, maybe I can drive it to the store ;)

Reactions: GSP
49 male. I bought mine to drill the first hole in my bucket list. Wrote my last tuition check Sept of 2015. Picked up my car 7wks later. Proud as hell of both of my grown sons. So I rewarded me for a job reasonably-well-done. (1/2 of their friends are done with college and starting out adult life...buying homes...getting engaged etc. The other 1/2 are walking in circles collecting Pokemon. Go figure.)

Reactions: GSP
Well if you think about the types of people the Model S appeals to, it makes some sense. First off you have to be at least a bit affluent to buy one. I was only able to afford one because I don't have any child expenses as I never had any and even if I wanted to it's a little late to start in your 50s. (My parents were in the 40s when I came along and they really struggled with a kid that late in life, my father started social security when I was a Freshman in college.) Then the car initially appealed to early adopters of new tech and now it's beginning to move into the early mass market phase.

The types of people the car appeals to are
1) Car people (performance car people as well as just general car enthusiasts)
2) Eco conscious
3) Tech fans

I also found this interesting, though it's a little tangential to this conversation:
Gravity | What Your Electric Car Says About YouGravity

US new car buyers are also older:
Cars With the Oldest Buyers

The average age is close to 52. So if Model S buyers are average age 45, that's lower than almost every other brand out there.

32 Male, will be almost 33 by the time my car arrives. Wife is 31, exactly one year younger (we share the same birthday). No kids, assuming she gets a new position this coming semester (she's a teacher) we'll be DINKS (dual incomes, no kids). So yeah, that's how we're managing the payments. That and she's agreed her Subaru is never getting replaced, we'll put all our miles on the S.