Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Overwhelmingly male and over 45 years old/Model 3 Don't Die

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
24, Male

I'm on my second model s, bought an S85 as a tester car to see how they do, exceeded my expectations so I upgraded to a P90
Im a Tesla customer for life

Need some solidarity among us under-25s. 24 checking in here, too. I have a 75 coming next month. I got full options but in hindsight I should have cut options and gone for a P/90D.

Reactions: AMPd
31-year-old white dude.

Came from a low socioeconomic status where I only drove vehicles 3rd and 4th hand (usually 200k+ miles) that broke down all the time and nearly costed me my life on more than one occasion.

Struggled through college. Had to sometimes decide between buying groceries or my school books.

Finished grad school. Got a good job. Now I have a Tesla.

Early 40's male here, though @SR22pilot I also have email. :)

Like many, 40's and male for me. This I would expect makes perfect sense, because...

1) It often takes that long before you have most of your debts paid and enough income to reasonably justify a $70K+ expense.

2) It's actually not my car, my wife and I share it, but my name comes up first because <reasons>. I would guess that happens a lot. For me, it was just because I was a bigger Tesla nut than her.

32 Male, will be almost 33 by the time my car arrives. Wife is 31, exactly one year younger (we share the same birthday). No kids, assuming she gets a new position this coming semester (she's a teacher) we'll be DINKS (dual incomes, no kids). So yeah, that's how we're managing the payments. That and she's agreed her Subaru is never getting replaced, we'll put all our miles on the S.

We're a bit older (and there is a gap in age my SO doesn't talk about), but we're otherwise similar (DINKS with a Subaru Impreza and a Tesla). The Impreza was the car we always took when running errands or anything else where both of us were going, but now it's always the Tesla and her car sits except for times when we each need a car.

My first question about these kinds of things is what's the source of the data? If Edmunds relies on state registration data that information is highly likely to underrepresent the number of women and overrepresent the age.

That data set would show someone older who buys a car for their college age kid and registers it in their name at least for a while. The insurance is usually cheaper that way. My parents owned my first three cars and they gave me the third one when I graduated from college and moved to Seattle. The first two were hand me downs, but I paid about 2/3 of the money for the 3rd car.

But millennials also aren't getting drivers licenses like previous generations did. Your first drivers license was a right of passage for my generation and the Boomers, but many millennials are ambivalent about the whole idea. So younger people are not driving as much as those 40 and older and aren't as interested in cars (though Tesla is an exception).

Reactions: Austin Powers
My first question about these kinds of things is what's the source of the data? If Edmunds relies on state registration data that information is highly likely to underrepresent the number of women and overrepresent the age.
IDK the source but going by this thread in TMC it's wrong. I am a little surprised at the amount of owners in their 20's here but, good for them! :) In my late teens and early 20's I could usually be found underneath my car working on it AGAIN! The one that needed the most work was a Ford Maverick with 3 on the column. Had to keep getting underneath to unlock the linkage , 2 minute job but it happened often :)
I would guess going by this thread alone the average age would be upper 30's.

Reactions: Filter
Male, 48,... yawn. When I was in my twenties I was serving my country defending democracy, certainly not riding around smoking dope in a Tesla! :) of course, had I the means, and the car available, I certainly would be (the driving part). I think it's awesome these young guys are driving these. I hope my kids have their act together at that age and do the same!

Male, 48,... yawn. When I was in my twenties I was serving my country defending democracy, certainly not riding around smoking dope in a Tesla! :) of course, had I the means, and the car available, I certainly would be (the driving part). I think it's awesome these young guys are driving these. I hope my kids have their act together at that age and do the same!
You're missing out! :)

I'm 39 and the wife is 37. Two toddlers. Safety was a big thing for us. We also drive over 35k miles a year. Tesla just made sense, we went solar, NJ has nice tax incentives. Supercharger down the block. It was a no brainer after we had a test drive at our house. Love at first sight. Debating on the X 60D or go crazy on optioning out a Model 3 when the time comes.

Another 49 M here, at least this week. :) (yes, Sunday is the day...)

I had been coveting a Tesla since 2013. Finally got off my ass and got a better job last year. Refinanced the mortgage and bam!, CPO Tesla was within reach! (New 70 was similarly priced, but I went for performance and lotsa options.)

One son is in college and one starts in the fall, scholarship help and tuition loans deferred (though I still pay a little) helped there. They say they'll pay the loans off, we'll see. Older son will be an engineer, so maybe... Two daughters still at home are not cheap...

Livin' the dream for two months now and lovin' every minute behind the wheel!

Reactions: Ashkenaz
35 male here. Wife actually started me on Tesla and we made a game out of spotting them in SoCal. I rented one for a weekend and was obsessed. Best purchase ever!! Just supercharged to Vegas yesterday. Oh and we are DINKS and she is military so no housing payment.

35 male here. Wife actually started me on Tesla and we made a game out of spotting them in SoCal. I rented one for a weekend and was obsessed. Best purchase ever!! Just supercharged to Vegas yesterday. Oh and we are DINKS and she is military so no housing payment.

Lucky! Next to the housing payment our Tesla will be the next largest debt/payment. I could make it smaller, but at 1.49% APR, there is no reason to pay more than I need to. I may actually go smaller on the down payment just to keep the rest invested, haven't quite decided yet.