Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Owner Age

What's your age?

• < 25

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • 25-30

Votes: 76 10.4%
  • 31-35

Votes: 106 14.5%
  • 36-40

Votes: 141 19.3%
  • 41-45

Votes: 133 18.2%
  • 46-50

Votes: 82 11.2%
  • 51-55

Votes: 52 7.1%
  • 56-60

Votes: 46 6.3%
  • 61-65

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • 66 & +

Votes: 34 4.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I admit being surprised to learn how young this crowd skews. I'm even more surprised to learn that I am now in the second-to-oldest bucket in the survey. :biggrin:

Of course, I started undergraduate engineering school when computers were only peripheral to the curriculum and there was no such thing as a hand-held, electronic calculator. I miss the the sound of a room full of IBM card punch terminals...though I do not miss waiting for my card jobs to run.

And those technologies just ... sprouted up like little flowers after a heavy rain? Or? Oh wait. I know, I know! Yeah.

"No offense, but" you don't have a clue. It was people the age of your parents and your friends' parents in the 50+ age group that I know at companies like Intel and universities worldwide that did the heavy lifting. Andy Grove, Craig Barrett, and names you never heard of and then other pioneers like Evi Nemeth (RIP old friend...) that created what you use. And then you call people illiterate? Pffffyt. You couldn't last 5 minutes in a conversation with any one of those people.

You are so young. So so young.

Ha. You think you know me but you don't. I've worked at several of these big technology companies (still do) and work with some very brilliant minds, some of which are even in the C++ standards committee and other worldwide organizations. Not only can I hold a 5 minute conversation with these people, but but work with them on a daily basis and lead many of them on new innovating technologies so don't presume to know me when you don't have a clue either.

It looks to me like Tesla has interest in all age groups, I personally believe that this is one of the great things about this company and EV's in general. I do not think you should stereo type people and put them into perceived boxes on any level. I know everyone on this forum has had comments on the Model S from all walks of life.

Ha. You think you know me but you don't. I've worked at several of these big technology companies (still do) and work with some very brilliant minds, some of which are even in the C++ standards committee and other worldwide organizations. Not only can I hold a 5 minute conversation with these people, but but work with them on a daily basis and lead many of them on new innovating technologies so don't presume to know me when you don't have a clue either.

Then please don't make comments indicating that people in a certain age group just don't get technology. That was the issue. That's all I'm saying. It's not the first time. You either start those comments with a 'no offense, but' or end it with a 'LOL', but there's more than a few digs towards people in other age groups in your posts. Just not cool. If you work with some on the C++ worldwide standards committee, then we probably know some people in common, since I know quite a few of those folks and count some as personal friends.

It's not about age groups. I know some absolutely brilliant people in their early 20s and feel absolutely blessed to have spent time with people like Andy Grove, Gordon Moore, Craig Barrett, Evi Nemeth, and other titans of technology. Stereotyping people just because they're a certain age is just not right. Thank god Tesla doesn't limit themselves that way.

Peace.

Then please don't make comments indicating that people in a certain age group just don't get technology. That was the issue. That's all I'm saying. It's not the first time. You either start those comments with a 'no offense, but' or end it with a 'LOL', but there's more than a few digs towards people in other age groups in your posts. Just not cool. If you work with some on the C++ worldwide standards committee, then we probably know some people in common, since I know quite a few of those folks and count some as personal friends.

It's not about age groups. I know some absolutely brilliant people in their early 20s and feel absolutely blessed to have spent time with people like Andy Grove, Gordon Moore, Craig Barrett, Evi Nemeth, and other titans of technology. Stereotyping people just because they're a certain age is just not right. Thank god Tesla doesn't limit themselves that way.

Peace.

I think you blew his comment way out of proportion, honestly. He simply said that the people he knows in that age range are technologically illiterate, not that everybody in that age group is. He even followed it up by saying "but that's just my family and friends" making it clear that he wasn't putting everybody in that age range into that group of people who don't get technology.

... I'd venture to say that the users of this forum probably are skewed towards the mature end of the spectrum (with some notable exceptions).

Ahem.

I have a bone to pick with Fate
Come here and tell me, girlie:
Is it that I'm maturing late
Or simply rotting early?

Or maybe you were thinking of me as one of those notables....:scared:

My parents are in their 70s and were born on Kansas dirt farms. My Mom just retired from a tech company and my Dad lives in internet forums, just not this one. My mother in law, 59 and struggled to use email. Age is a weak predictor of technical savvy I think. There was a time it was a strong predictor, but clearly in a few years it will be meaningless for internet literacy.

However, this whole discussion is all "lol, old ppl don't get kewl internet stuff." Even if it is true, that is "the" tech thing for this period in history and any investment you make in it for your career, education and interest is at risk when today's toddler's invent something that threatens us later on. When I am 70 I will probably be turning up my nose at all the young whippersnappers with their newfangled bionic implants.

tl;dr: we will all be old someday.

fyi I wasn't saying there "weren't any" (clearly because I work with a bunch every day). but rather pretty much almost everyone older than me I personally know outside of work doesn't get technology in general, especially the generations older than mine. once again I'll repeat, could just unusual coincidence in my circle of family and friends. I'm 33, started out with a commodore64 when I was a little kid, born on 286s on upwards. I guess you could say that my generation was the one were personal computers became mainstream when growing up. I think it's amazing when when I see my kids (2 & 4), completely knowing how to operate ipads and iphones, using the cameras to record and capture video and photos, playback, knowing how to navigate multiple pages to their games, and them playing their games both educational and puzzles and entertainment (and beating these games too). They've both been doing this since they were 1. I'm blown away that they know how to use this. especially the eye hand coordination of my youngest. My parents can't even figure out half the things my kids know how to do with these. I haven't introduced them yet to playstation or xbox....that's next on my list.