Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S owner in Canberra?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggr

Expert in Dunning-Kruger Effect!
Mar 24, 2011
San Diego, CA
Referral Code
I'm looking at buying my daughter a Model S, but her garage is pretty small. So I'm hoping a Model S owner somewhere in Canberra area might be able to go past their home to see if it would work. They live in Holder. She's driven my S in the US, it's really just whether the car would fit.

What would be better for them is a Y... but their old car is just about dead, so I'm not sure they can wait.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Assuming you are not buying her a new one have a look on
https://www.carsales.com.au/
The equivalent to Craigslist in Australia is Gumtree and there’s one for sale but it’s a long way north. And he’s asking a lot for it IMHO.
2016 Tesla Model S 70D White 1 Speed Automatic Hatchback | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Port Macquarie City - Port Macquarie | 1256156044
Good luck
Follow-up question, and thanks for the links...

Are there any "gotchas" buying used privately in Australia? I gather that in the US, sometimes you buy thinking you have autopilot but it goes away or something?

Are there any "gotchas" buying used privately in Australia? I gather that in the US, sometimes you buy thinking you have autopilot but it goes away or something?

I actually ended up buying mine used from Tesla. It was a bit cheaper than the equivalent cars I saw on Carsales. The bonus is you get 2 year used warranty direct from Tesla. I did have to monitor their site frequently as stock levels are very low or non existent most of the time.

We have the same gotcha's. In my case Tesla removed the lifetime supercharging the previous owner likely had.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: ggr and Hairyman

The biggest Gotcha in Australia is that cars don’t come with a title in the same way as the USA.
If you buy a car from a licensed Dealer they are required to guarantee the cars title.
If buying privately you could be buying a Written off car, similar to Salvage title in the USA except if the car is a Statutory WriteOff it can never be registered again in Australia even if repaired. You can also be buying a car with money owing, and you buy the debt along with the car.
So I recommend getting a title check using Commercial services like REVS or the Underlying Govt PPSR REPORT.
I haven’t bought used for a while so I am happy for others to add more if I’ve missed something.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman and ggr
The biggest Gotcha in Australia is that cars don’t come with a title in the same way as the USA.
If you buy a car from a licensed Dealer they are required to guarantee the cars title.
If buying privately you could be buying a Written off car, similar to Salvage title in the USA except if the car is a Statutory WriteOff it can never be registered again in Australia even if repaired. You can also be buying a car with money owing, and you buy the debt along with the car.
So I recommend getting a title check using Commercial services like REVS or the Underlying Govt PPSR REPORT.
I haven’t bought used for a while so I am happy for others to add more if I’ve missed something.
That’s about all you have to do, a quick REVS check and perhaps get a mechanic to have a quick look if you’ve any doubts.
I quite enjoy buying privately, I find it much more pleasant that buying from a dealer, although buying from Tesla was great.

• Informative
Reactions: ggr
Buying privately from another country you are relying on photo’s taken by the owner. These may not be accurate or may miss damage. This is especially the case inside the car. Hence you need someone to look over the car. When I sold my last S to tesla they had an independant guy come out and do a report on the car. They didnt rely on my photo’s. He spend over an hour looking at everything.
Different city so a good option would be to find a similar business in canberra.

• Informative
Reactions: ggr