Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Model S Owner Sees Big Bump in Outbound Data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in May, Tesla said it would start collecting video clips from the cameras onboard Autopilot-equipped vehicles. An image posted Tuesday to the Tesla subreddit by Model S owner and Reddit user kutrod suggests that such data is now flowing to the company.

“I think the neural net mining is just starting,” kutrod wrote alongside an image of his router data. “This is my router view since 17.17.4 on AP2. I know they are uploading mini vids, but I think the data collection is just picking up and sum of all data will be monstrous.”

autopilot-data.jpg

May’s update to the company’s data sharing policy said: “We are working hard to improve autonomous safety features and make self-driving a reality for you as soon as possible. In order to do so, we need to collect short video clips using the car’s external cameras to learn how to recognize things like lane lines, street signs and traffic light positions. The more fleet learning of road conditions we are able to do, the better your Tesla’s self-driving ability will become.”

Tesla’s approach to collecting data to improve self-driving capabilities has been to leverage its customer fleet. With a significant number of Tesla vehicles now on the road, the company is in a position gather some significant learnings to improve performance.

Last edited by a moderator: