TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Model S Owner Surprised with Hardware 3 Retrofit

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by TMC Staff, Sep 13, 2019.

1. TMC Staff

Tesla is reportedly retrofitting vehicles with its next-generation Hardware 3 computer that the company says will make autonomous driving possible. Tesla owner Sofiaan Fraval shared on Twitter that his 2018 Model S P100D went into the the Tesla service center to replace a HEPA filter and came out with a new, more powerful computer. Note that...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Informative x 1
  2. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Active Member

Great news. Not relevant great for individuals who purchased FSD on HW 2.0 vehicles.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  3. nimrooz

nimrooz Member

Why not?
    They are promised the same upgrade if they have bought FSD...

• Like x 1
  4. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Active Member

Because we have yet to see any HW 2.0 vehicles get the retrofit. I Hope I am wrong

. I do like a good promise though .... lol

• Like x 1
  5. nimrooz

nimrooz Member

Well, to soon to judge, this is the first ever known upgrade if I understand correctly.
    Maybe it was just pure coincidence it was a hw 2.5...

• Like x 2
  6. Jimbo435

Jimbo435 Member

I missed it.
    Did the owner previously purchase FSD?

• Helpful x 1
  7. Ccsdk

Ccsdk Member

Can't wait till its Model 3 time !!!!!

• Like x 1
  8. Radlaw

Radlaw Charles

How can one tell what hardware version they have?

• Like x 1
  9. blackbird101

blackbird101 Member

Took my Model S in for air suspension calibration last Friday (9-6-2019). They also did the computer retro-fit. My Model S is a 2019, took delivery in April. I cut an pasted the verbiage from the service order:
    Concern: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (Model S and Model X Group 1)
    FSD module was installed and firmware new module was calibrated. test drove vehicle and function checked auto pilot
    and is operating as designed
    Correction: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit, Model S (North America
    Only)
    Parts Replaced or Added
    Part Quantity
    ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0-MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-F) 1.0
    NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-A) 4.0

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
  10. bridge-player

bridge-player Member

You purchased FSD?

11. JayElGee

JayElGee New Member

On a recent visit to service with my M3 I was told that if you bought FSD then at some point the computer will be replaced.

• Like x 1
  12. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

#12 Ulmo, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Note that the "FSD Computer Retrofit" is not the temporally proximal concern of the customer in these two cases, but of the general concern of the responsibilities of the corporation to the contracts they already made with many of their customers. The language of saying there was a concern there is easily confused with it being a present fore concern of the customer, and doesn't avoid treating the customer as not the owner of their own destiny (which is a triple negative; using only one negative, I could more pointedly say "Tesla avoids treating the customer as the owner of their own destiny"). While only a very slight point, it is entirely consistent with the pro-monarchy attitudes of Tesla the corporation in general, and it is a glaring linguistic sign of that attitude.

They really need to fix that language.

Thank you for posting it! It is great evidence they are barely starting to update their products as contracted.

---

A somewhat different topic, but since it's slightly related and I'm already posting about this, I'll go ahead and make a prediction: I think it is likely that Tesla will continue to slowly ramp up the roll out of the retrofits. Now, the fact that I have to do something almost akin to looking at tea leaves to figure out what Tesla is doing is part of what I'm talking about, but at least there they have slightly less obscene excuses like proprietary advantage in competition. While in this case it is said that Tesla is belatedly adhering to a subset of their self driving promises, there have been accusations against them for over-promising in the past. Normally I think that's just bad predicting on the part of Elon, but it does make me slightly wonder if pro-monarchists are so sick of competition that they prefer to compete corruptly, and makes me wonder if Elon intentionally (or "unintentionally (intentionally) fooled himself and") lied about it. That doesn't help the anti-short case very much, even though the shorts are crazy lunatics that lie about pretty much everything with rare exception. Let's see how they roll this out, for example. If it goes as I predict, this will be plausible deniability that they tried to defraud customers with false advertising, but that they'll probably have to continue to make better on some of their prior false advertising.

There. I'm being honest and gracious.

• Funny x 1
  13. blackbird101

blackbird101 Member

For what it's worth, every item on the service order starts out with the word, "Concern", it denotes an 'issue' with the car that will be addressed during the car's servicing. The calibration of the air suspension request also said, "Concern".......

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  14. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Ok, thanks! That explains that. It's really bad wording. It's as if the programmers of that code don't know the language. Thank you for that context, since it certainly makes this somewhat less of an issue overall.

15. MaryAnning3

MaryAnning3 Supporting Member

I like your posts. Welcome to TMC.

16. LJ32

LJ32 Member

MX100D purchased 9/29/2017 and yes, FSD was purchased. Had in service for 2nd year maintenance, Van Nuys, CA Service Center 9/9 - 9/12. Asked about HW3, Van Nuys had no information.

• Informative x 1
  17. nimrooz

nimrooz Member

Same in Norway, no information, at least what a guy who works at a service center said...

18. nbergma

nbergma Member

We just had the first annual service of our Model 3 done in Monterey, California. I asked about the HW 3 upgrade and was told it was not yet available but should start becoming available in approximately November 2019. So maybe by Spring 2020 we'll be able to schedule to have the upgrade done.

• Funny x 2
  19. sjkt42

sjkt42 New Member

20. sjkt42

sjkt42 New Member

Did the upgrade improve the ability of the S to sense vehicles in blind spots? I rarely use autopilot when there is much traffic, as the sensors don't seem to sense other vehicles until they are very close to my S.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1