Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Model S Owner Surprised with Hardware 3 Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla is reportedly retrofitting vehicles with its next-generation Hardware 3 computer that the company says will make autonomous driving possible.

Tesla owner Sofiaan Fraval shared on Twitter that his 2018 Model S P100D went into the the Tesla service center to replace a HEPA filter and came out with a new, more powerful computer.

“Performed the retrofit for the Full-Self Driving computer. Test drove and verified operation,” Tesla wrote in the service report. 

Fraval’s Model S was previously equipped with Hardware 2.5 and MCU v2. His car build date is April 2018.

Fraval noted that the retrofits are only available for Model S and Model X vehicles for now and owners are not yet able to request the swap.

All new Tesla vehicles come equipped with the new hardware, which includes a Samsung-built chip that has 21-times the performance of the previous Tesla hardware powered by Nvidia.

Tesla has emphasized that the chip is purpose-built for enabling vehicle autonomy.

Anyone else received a retrofit?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: R1Bill
Took my Model S in for air suspension calibration last Friday (9-6-2019). They also did the computer retro-fit. My Model S is a 2019, took delivery in April. I cut an pasted the verbiage from the service order:
Concern: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (Model S and Model X Group 1)
FSD module was installed and firmware new module was calibrated. test drove vehicle and function checked auto pilot
and is operating as designed
Correction: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit, Model S (North America
Only)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0-MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-F) 1.0
NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-A) 4.0

Took my Model S in for air suspension calibration last Friday (9-6-2019). They also did the computer retro-fit. My Model S is a 2019, took delivery in April. I cut an pasted the verbiage from the service order:
FSD module was installed and firmware new module was calibrated. test drove vehicle and function checked auto pilot
Only)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

You purchased FSD?

Only)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
Note that the "FSD Computer Retrofit" is not the temporally proximal concern of the customer in these two cases, but of the general concern of the responsibilities of the corporation to the contracts they already made with many of their customers. The language of saying there was a concern there is easily confused with it being a present fore concern of the customer, and doesn't avoid treating the customer as not the owner of their own destiny (which is a triple negative; using only one negative, I could more pointedly say "Tesla avoids treating the customer as the owner of their own destiny"). While only a very slight point, it is entirely consistent with the pro-monarchy attitudes of Tesla the corporation in general, and it is a glaring linguistic sign of that attitude.

They really need to fix that language.

Thank you for posting it! It is great evidence they are barely starting to update their products as contracted.

---

A somewhat different topic, but since it's slightly related and I'm already posting about this, I'll go ahead and make a prediction: I think it is likely that Tesla will continue to slowly ramp up the roll out of the retrofits. Now, the fact that I have to do something almost akin to looking at tea leaves to figure out what Tesla is doing is part of what I'm talking about, but at least there they have slightly less obscene excuses like proprietary advantage in competition. While in this case it is said that Tesla is belatedly adhering to a subset of their self driving promises, there have been accusations against them for over-promising in the past. Normally I think that's just bad predicting on the part of Elon, but it does make me slightly wonder if pro-monarchists are so sick of competition that they prefer to compete corruptly, and makes me wonder if Elon intentionally (or "unintentionally (intentionally) fooled himself and") lied about it. That doesn't help the anti-short case very much, even though the shorts are crazy lunatics that lie about pretty much everything with rare exception. Let's see how they roll this out, for example. If it goes as I predict, this will be plausible deniability that they tried to defraud customers with false advertising, but that they'll probably have to continue to make better on some of their prior false advertising.

There. I'm being honest and gracious.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Note that the "FSD Computer Retrofit" is not the temporally proximal concern of the customer, but of the general concern of the responsibilities of the corporation to the contracts they already made with many of their customers. The language of saying there was a concern there is easily confused with it being a present fore concern of the customer, and doesn't avoid treating the customer as not the owner of their own destiny (which is a triple negative; using only one negative, I could more pointedly say "Tesla avoids treating the customer as the owner of their own destiny"). While only a very slight point, it is entirely consistent with the pro-monarchy attitudes of Tesla the corporation in general, and it is a glaring linguistic sign of that attitude.

They really need to fix that language.

Thank you for posting it! It is great evidence they are barely starting to update their products as contracted.

For what it's worth, every item on the service order starts out with the word, "Concern", it denotes an 'issue' with the car that will be addressed during the car's servicing. The calibration of the air suspension request also said, "Concern".......

For what it's worth, every item on the service order starts out with the word, "Concern", it denotes an 'issue' with the car that will be addressed during the car's servicing. The calibration of the air suspension request also said, "Concern".......
Ok, thanks! That explains that. It's really bad wording. It's as if the programmers of that code don't know the language. Thank you for that context, since it certainly makes this somewhat less of an issue overall.

Only)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity