Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Model S Owner Surprised with Hardware 3 Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla is reportedly retrofitting vehicles with its next-generation Hardware 3 computer that the company says will make autonomous driving possible.

Tesla owner Sofiaan Fraval shared on Twitter that his 2018 Model S P100D went into the the Tesla service center to replace a HEPA filter and came out with a new, more powerful computer.

“Performed the retrofit for the Full-Self Driving computer. Test drove and verified operation,” Tesla wrote in the service report. 

Fraval’s Model S was previously equipped with Hardware 2.5 and MCU v2. His car build date is April 2018.

Fraval noted that the retrofits are only available for Model S and Model X vehicles for now and owners are not yet able to request the swap.

All new Tesla vehicles come equipped with the new hardware, which includes a Samsung-built chip that has 21-times the performance of the previous Tesla hardware powered by Nvidia.

Tesla has emphasized that the chip is purpose-built for enabling vehicle autonomy.

Anyone else received a retrofit?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: R1Bill
I'm evenly more impressed why so many want the upgrade when it hasn't been able to achieve FSD yet. I could care less about the upgrade or swap unless I see it working 100%.

What am I missing here? Why are so many people trying to get an upgrade that hasn't even been proven to work
Maybe because people like me who uses auto pilot almost 80% of my drive am tired of phantom breaking, along with the reactionary breaking when a car comes into your lane. If the computer system already recognizes a car coming into your lane when they just cross the line, then the autopilot could react accordingly and break earlier. Instead I get this half assed fast break giving me whip lash.

/rant

Reactions: MIT_S60
Maybe because people like me who uses auto pilot almost 80% of my drive am tired of phantom breaking, along with the reactionary breaking when a car comes into your lane. If the computer system already recognizes a car coming into your lane when they just cross the line, then the autopilot could react accordingly and break earlier. Instead I get this half assed fast break giving me whip lash.

/rant

Whip lash.... aahhahahahahah GTFOH

I'm evenly more impressed why so many want the upgrade when it hasn't been able to achieve FSD yet. I could care less about the upgrade or swap unless I see it working 100%.

What am I missing here? Why are so many people trying to get an upgrade that hasn't even been proven to work

I think we are all a little type A, especially those of us who tend to frequent this forum. Also love of tech, the cutting edge, having something new, the list goes on. For myself, I would rather have the hardware and be ready when the software drops instead of vice versa.

You are right though, are we little overboard, yes. We should all be a little more patient. But I see no wrong in being excited for new hardware and speculating on the process Tesla will take to distribute.

It’s easier to get the software upgrade than the hardware upgrade. Ergo, I want the damned hardware so I can be ready if the software ever ships.

It’s easier to get the software upgrade than the hardware upgrade. Ergo, I want the damned hardware so I can be ready if the software ever ships.

What you getting ready for? Come on Bro... Tesla hasn't been able to provide any proof this computer will navigate through a busy city in rush hour. There's no evidence that this computer or sensors installed will be able to provide on Elons promise

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
What you getting ready for? Come on Bro... Tesla hasn't been able to provide any proof this computer will navigate through a busy city in rush hour. There's no evidence that this computer or sensors installed will be able to provide on Elons promise

Perhaps not, but it ain’t happening without the upgrade either. I bought the car for the autonomy features. I want to be getting them as fast as possible if they ever actually improve.

If you don’t care about the upgrade, cool.

You are missing a no-brainer :
Nice to have the hardware ready before FSD stuff comes. If you have to wait for retrofit after software is release its a bummer. Also it will be smoother with new NNs. You don't know if tesla will release a new NN specifically for hardware 3 even if they don't have all the features yet. But it would provide much better experience. Say goodbye to dancing cars etc.

Less power drain for sentry mode too i think

The FSD computer is a lot faster than the current AP2 computer. Who would not want a faster computer?

Reactions: croman
The FSD computer is a lot faster than the current AP2 computer. Who would not want a faster computer?

Those of us with HW2.5 just want the latest and greatest compute engine, which eventually will run the software at a much faster rate and with more precision than currently. I'm not concerned with the eventual FSD objectives, I just want better and better driver assist functionality.

Yes, those people with HW2 get some immediate benefits when (and if?) Tesla upgrades them to HW3, since they'll get better sensors and a faster compute engine.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ludalicious
Yes, those people with HW2 get some immediate benefits when (and if?) Tesla upgrades them to HW3, since they'll get better sensors and a faster compute engine.

Is there any reason to think HW2 will get sensor upgrades? I believe all the talk from Elon has been around the FSD computer swap. HW2.5 already has redundancy HW2 will never get, I wonder if upgrading sensors would make any sense to Tesla either. I guess in theory it might make working on their vision easier if they swapped out the cameras.

Those of us with HW2.5 just want the latest and greatest compute engine, which eventually will run the software at a much faster rate and with more precision than currently. I'm not concerned with the eventual FSD objectives, I just want better and better driver assist functionality.

I think you are missing the point. You purchased a vehicle with the current available software at that time and moment. If you had concerns at that moment you should of walked away and bought something else.
Where in your purchase agreement did it say you will be entitled to the newest software years later. If you purchased the FSD package, Tesla only agreed to supply you with exactly that. No where does it say you you are entitled to a faster processor or sensors, better and better driver assist functions. If you want the latest and greatest software, sensors, camera's ect. Go buy a new car!

Last edited:
I think you are missing the point. You purchased a vehicle with the current available software at that time and moment. If you had concerns at that moment you should of walked away and bought something else.
Where in your purchase agreement did it say you will be entitled to the newest software years later. If you purchased the FSD package, Tesla only agreed to supply you with exactly that. No where does it say you you are entitled to a faster processor or sensors, better and better driver assist functions. If you want the latest and greatest software, sensors, camera's ect. Go buy a new car!

Oh good, another one of you people.

Oh good, another one of you people.

What someone that doesn't feel entitled too something that I never purchased or paid for.
Whens the last time you walked into Best buy, bought a computer and demanded they upgrade it years later with a faster processor and quicker programs. You realise how stupid that sounds

No where does it say you you are entitled to a faster processor or sensors, better and better driver assist functions. If you want the latest and greatest software, sensors, camera's ect. Go buy a new car!

Here you are mistaken. Not about the sensors or cameras where Tesla indeed has made no promises, but about the faster processor.

Tesla specifically said FSD buyers (indeed originally they said all AP2 buyers which theoretically included EAP) would get a processor upgrade if it was needed. On Autonomy Investor Day Tesla said it is needed.

So far a person like me who bought FSD in 2016 has received NOTHING for it. Not a single feature that non-FSD buyers have not received. Indeed since then the price of the pack has been sliced a few times too. Tesla has broken all promises to deliver features to us so far.

No, I will not be buying a new car after that (at least before something is delivered).

Last edited:
Here you are mistaken. Not about the sensors or cameras where Tesla indeed has made no promises, but about the faster processor.

Tesla specifically said FSD buyers (indeed originall they said all AP2 buyers which theoretically included EAP) would get a processor upgrade if it was needed. On Autonomy Investor Day Tesla said it is needed.

Absolutely agree 100% So where does this FSD processor exactly exist? I dont recall seeing any Full Self Driving vehicles on the road.

• Disagree
What someone that doesn't feel entitled too something that I never purchased or paid for.
Whens the last time you walked into Best buy, bought a computer and demanded they upgrade it years later with a faster processor and quicker programs. You realise how stupid that sounds

Thanks. I wondered what the worst metaphor I’d see today would be, glad it’s out of the way early.

upload_2019-9-15_12-27-41.jpeg

Here’s what I paid for (annotation not mine, just needed the description). That is what I expect.

Thanks. I wondered what the worst metaphor I’d see today would be, glad it’s out of the way early.

View attachment 455171

Here’s what I paid for (annotation not mine, just needed the description). That is what I expect.

Well in the same vein, the description does give a huge caveat, that it is unknown when each step of FSD will be released due to software validation and regulatory approval.

When I purchased the car I understood FSD wasn’t guaranteed to be right around the corner. When I purchased FSD later, I still understood FSD isn’t a 100% guarantee at the aggressive timelines posted by Tesla. Re-reading the statement you posted makes it pretty clear to me.

But that’s my interpretation.

The correct analogy would be a Best Buy that sold you an extended warranty that would allow you to upgrade the computer later if it were needed for a specific purpose (to be determined). In this case Tesla has sold this ”extended warranty” starting on 2016. People are simply holding them to delivering on that commitment.

Absolutely agree 100% So where does this FSD processor exactly exist? I dont recall seeing any Full Self Driving vehicles on the road.

Well it exists in many Teslas built since this spring (not all of them as Tesla says, but some of them) — and starting this September Tesla has started retrofitting it into apparently some AP2.5 cars.