Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Owner's Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read the Owner's Manual "cover to cover". What a gas - I mean what a charge - reading it. Really brought me into the car, visualizing being a Model S Owner, laughing as I raise the air suspension just for the fun of it, or adjust the steering for that more European feel. Found a few conflicts with reports in the forum regarding small items. They'll pan out i am sure. Noted that standard charge level is 90% of total chargeable battery, or 270, 207, and 144 miles at standard charge for the 85, 60, 40kWh packs, respectively. That's a little nicer than an 85% starting standard charge. Curious what others took as unexpected from the manual. And why did I not know the mirrors tilt in reverse or even that he car has heated mirrors? Missed it along the way.

Noted that standard charge level is 90% of total chargeable battery, or 270, 207, and 144 miles at standard charge for the 85, 60, 40kWh packs, respectively. That's a little nicer than an 85% starting standard charge.
Based on the update that was posted about in another thread, I think this is already outdated.

More specifically, the update said the 300 was an EPA 2-cycle and that the update will be using the EPA 5-cycle for the rated range. As such, I presume range charge now reads 265 and standard charge would read 238(.5).

Based on the update that was posted about in another thread, I think this is already outdated.

More specifically, the update said the 300 was an EPA 2-cycle and that the update will be using the EPA 5-cycle for the rated range. As such, I presume range charge now reads 265 and standard charge would read 238(.5).

Which update? The last I know, EPA 2-cycle is about 320 miles, constant @55mph is 300 miles, EPA 5-cycle is 265 miles.

Which update?
This one:
The Rated Range estimate predicts the car's range based on standardized range metrics set by the EPA. When your Model S was delivered, the Rated Range was based on the EPA's 2-cycle test, which yields approximately 300 miles of range after fully charging in Max Range mode. With the new software release, Model S will begin using the EPA's more aggressive 5-cycle test to predict the Rated Range. After a full Max Range mode charge, your Model S will now display approximately 265 - 269 miles of Rated Range.

The last I know, EPA 2-cycle is about 320 miles
I've never heard this number and EPA in the same sentence. At least not that I recall.
constant @55mph is 300 miles
The language in the update seemed to suggest that matched the EPA 2-cycle number. Not sure when/if that's ever been corroborated.
constant @55mph is 300 miles, EPA 5-cycle is 265 miles.
Yup, that's unchanged.

Just received from my Tesla rep:

Todd's Question said:
When is the Model S Owner's Manual expected to be ready for download for reservation holders?

Tesla Rep's Response said:
Very soon, if it is not already available for download in your MyTesla owners area. If it is not there already, I would suspect it in the coming weeks.

Not sure if he's referring to the brief Owner's Guide that we all saw the other day or the full manual.

.....Curious what others took as unexpected from the manual....

Page 7
Windshield defroster distributes all air to the windshield and switches the heating and fan to maximum.
I am assuming this is the "defogger" for the windshield thou it is called a "defroster" All the cars I have driven have turned on the A/C switches to maximum to clear the window, maybe Tesla does the same as well as heat the air.

Page 24
Under no circumstances do you need to inspect or top up other fluid reservoirs. Two additional fluid reservoirs are located next to the washer fluid, but underneath the maintenance access panel. In the unlikely event that you see a message on the instrument panel that one of these fluid levels is low, stop Model S as soon as safe to do so, and contact Tesla.
NOTE: Adding fluid to the Battery coolant reservoir voids your warranty.
I think @ Lloyd mentioned he had bought some special coolant already, Tesla doesn't want us messing with the fluids.

The last I know, EPA 2-cycle is about 320 miles

I've never heard this number and EPA in the same sentence. At least not that I recall.

It's from Tesla's blog on Efficiency and Range of the Model S:

Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors
New EPA Rating Procedures: 5-cycle vs. 2-cycle

When the Tesla Roadster was certified, the EPA only used a 2-cycle test that was carried out under conditions of 75 degrees Fahrenheit ambient temperature and with varying acceleration rates and driving speeds for both city and highway tests topping out at 60 mph. Recently, the EPA incorporated three additional cycles into their tests that push vehicles to greater limits. The additional cycles added as part of the new “5-cycle test” include a cold driving cycle that requires heater use, a hot weather cycle with air conditioning operation, and a high-speed cycle (reaching 80mph) with rapid accelerations.

We are very pleased to report that Model S has exceeded our initial range expectations by about 20 miles and has achieved a Roadster equivalent 2-cycle range of 320 miles and a 5-cycle range of 265 miles. This sets a new record for electric vehicle range!

Sticky for Tesla Online Manuals

Could we get a sticky with the links to the Tesla Online Manuals?

I spent about an hour Googling, searching here, searching through Tesla's website and all to no avail.

I would love to download the owner's manual so I can read it from time to time now that I have my car.

Thanks in advance....

I down loaded the original manual as a PDF to my iPad long ago. It is available on the Tesla website in your My Tesla sign on page after you get the car. I think.

If no one else has it who is more tech savvy give me some ideas as to how I could upload it for you.

Could we get a sticky with the links to the Tesla Online Manuals?

I spent about an hour Googling, searching here, searching through Tesla's website and all to no avail.

I would love to download the owner's manual so I can read it from time to time now that I have my car.

Thanks in advance....

It should be available through 'My Garage' when you log in.