Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Owner's Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a link to download the manuals on the MyTesla page and I haven't even been invited to finalize, so I think it doesn't have anything to do with delivery. Sorry.

manual.png

Last edited:
Yes, I believed there would be more. Especially when comparing to other owners manuals I am used to at 500 pages plus! I have to believe that this is a 'work in progress'!

It seems they're taking the Apple approach (Silicon Valley approach as others call it). Anyone who owns a Mac knows that they only include the bare essentials in the documentation and leave it to the user to figure out the rest!

I'd much prefer a detailed and complete manual. It would give me more to read to pass the time until my car arrives :).

I downloaded the new manual and compared it with the first downloadable one. They are both version "1.6" according to their file data, but the newer one is 9.6MB instead of 7.3, and has two extra pages. The new one has software 4.0 instructions on it, and an extra page with links to the website and copyright info. Throughout there are formatting tweaks along with the different software; there is an extra page about homelink, and about getting software updates.

Has anyone read the owners guide? I was reading page 4 "Instrument Panel at a Glance". and have a question.
above the image of the panel the text says
"Use the left steering wheel controls to control the media player. Your can press/hold/roll the button to change what displays on the left side of the instrument panel. The Media Player is displayed."
The left side of the panel is covered by a pop-out of the charge level and door status image.
The right side of the panel has the selection for the "Media Source" and "Right Wheel" graphic.

I checked the fr_ca version and it says the same thing (but in french)

have I been mixing up my Left/Right (gauche/droit) all these years?

Edit: As I continue to read. there are other things that make me think that it was written by someone who has a PhD in English, but has never spoken to anyone in plain english.
page 7: "Touch to turn the air conditioning on and off. Turning it off reduces cooling. However, it reduces the power used by the battery"
I had to read it twice. yes, turning something off will use less battery power. using "However" makes it sound like it is something with a negative consequence.

Last edited:
Got my car on 11/29 and DL'ed my Owner's Manual on 12/1/12. I like to keep a PDF file on my iPad (&laptop) for reference. Based on this thread, I went back to the Tesla Motors website and re-downloaded the Manual, which has no version indicator in the filename. Sure enough, at some point the Manual was updated to "Rev - 1.00", which now includes Software version 4.0.. Would be nice if there was some communication that the there had been an update. Be even nicer if the Manual was attached to an email to all current owners.

Got my car on 11/29 and DL'ed my Owner's Manual on 12/1/12. I like to keep a PDF file on my iPad (&laptop) for reference. Based on this thread, I went back to the Tesla Motors website and re-downloaded the Manual, which has no version indicator in the filename. Sure enough, at some point the Manual was updated to "Rev - 1.00", which now includes Software version 4.0.. Would be nice if there was some communication that the there had been an update. Be even nicer if the Manual was attached to an email to all current owners.

Yes, I second that emotion. (Along with a note: Homework assignment -- please review the new features [on pages Xxx] so you are ready to roll when your new software downloads....)

Where on the Web site is the manual download? I've been looking for months.

/Rick

Blank Touchscreen, needs Re-Boot

In case this happens to anyone. Attempted to turn on Tesla once seated. BLACK, BLANK touchscreen. Information panel where speedometer is located said to WAIT for Touchscreen to Power On. Could not start car for about 90 seconds. Could start car but no touchscreen to turn on A/C or open charge port, etc. Called Tesla. Had to do re-boot, said it was bug in system, should be resolved in 2 weeks.

Solution to re-boot:
Keep foot on brake whole time. Top buttons on steering wheel press and hold at same time for about 20 seconds and speedometer display will blink. Let go and then press and hold BOTH scroll wheels at same time for about 20 seconds until actual touchscreen gets WHITE T showing. At this point all worked ok.

Hope this helps anyone that may have same glitch in system

User Manual for EU models is now laid out on Norwegian Reservation holder My Tesla Homepage
Here is a link in case this is initeresting for others

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42386794/model_s_owners_manual_europe_1.0.pdf

The most interesting part is on page 2:

Pandora is a registered trademark of Pandora Media, Inc. Spotify is a registered trademark of the Spotify Group.

No other mentions of Pandora or Spotify anywhere else... but it seems like integration with these services may be in the works if they had the legal team add them to the disclaimer.

The most interesting part is on page 2:

No other mentions of Pandora or Spotify anywhere else... but it seems like integration with these services may be in the works if they had the legal team add them to the disclaimer.

Good catch. It appears to be related to the software version.

Page 2 in the European manual reads, "MODEL S SOFTWARE Version: 5.0"

In the US manual, there is no mention of Pandora or Spotify and on page 2 in the US manual, it reads, "MODEL S SOFTWARE Version: 4.0." So, when Tesla updates the US manual, perhaps there will be Pandora and Spotify language.