Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S owners - what would You do if the child seats won´t make it into production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, I found the anchors, they were really pressed down and hard to feel for. My 5 month old granddaughter is flying in with her parents this weekend and I wanted to make sure I could pick them up in style rather than pulling out the old minivan.

I love the storage space in the rear (and the frunk) and never wanted the jumpseats anyway so I personally would not mind if they never come to fruition. However, they are a feature which many people strongly desire and the car "seats 7" in all the marketing presentations. So, for Tesla's sake, they better deliver the seats to those who want them (and have ordered them). All of us who are taking a big risk in Tesla want and need the company to be successful on all levels.

I've got three kids, and we are always ferrying them and their school friends around. Model S will be a replacement for our 8 Seater Nissan people mover, so lack of child seats in the back will be a problem for us. Maybe not insurmountable, but a problem.

{RUMOR}I've heard rumors that the rear child seat option may not be available in Hong Kong due to homogenization issues - perhaps child restraint regulations. Just rumors, no idea of the original source, and nothing substantiated. Tesla's response to me was that it is too early to know for Hong Kong, and we'll know more next year.{/RUMOR}

I had a very interesting chat with George Blankenship at the Toronto store grand opening last night, and we chatted about the seats a bit. What he says, if memory serves, is that the seat design had been (or was on its way to being) approved for the standard 30 MPH rear impact requirement, but then Elon insisted that it pass the test at 50 MPH since his kids were going to ride back there. This required a re-design of both the rear end of the car and the seats themselves. George mentioned this did add a bit of weight, and that the seat support mechanism had to be beefed up or re-designed in some way. There is a committment to deliver the re-designed seats, but I don't recall if George put a timeline on that.

Bottom line is that for those of you looking for this option, it's going to be a pretty darned safe and secure spot to stow your kids!

I had a very interesting chat with George Blankenship at the Toronto store grand opening last night, and we chatted about the seats a bit. What he says, if memory serves, is that the seat design had been (or was on its way to being) approved for the standard 30 MPH rear impact requirement, but then Elon insisted that it pass the test at 50 MPH since his kids were going to ride back there. This required a re-design of both the rear end of the car and the seats themselves. George mentioned this did add a bit of weight, and that the seat support mechanism had to be beefed up or re-designed in some way. There is a committment to deliver the re-designed seats, but I don't recall if George put a timeline on that.

Bottom line is that for those of you looking for this option, it's going to be a pretty darned safe and secure spot to stow your kids!

Me like. I can wait for that.

Me like. I can wait for that.

Agreed. It's the #1 question I get when I mention the seats (including from my older kids) about the safety of those seats given the prevalence of rear-end collisions. Anything that can be done to make those seats as safe as possible is worthwhile in my book. I've already "missed" having those seats on a few occasions, but will gladly wait for them if this is the reason they're not being put in cars yet.