Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S owners who have blacked out chrome trim/handles/etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@derekmw How is the wrap holding up on the side skirts? I was told that it wouldn't stick well there because of the texture. Maybe they just couldn't guarantee that it would hold up as well. I agree that it would look better body color.

Sorry I should have been more specific. I only wrapped the chrome on the side skirts/door sills to try to match the non-painted side skirts.

I do agree with what someone told you that a wrap won't stick well on the actual side skirts since the surface is not smooth. The chrome part I did I hope holds up but I won't really know until more time passes (I just wrapped these chrome surfaces last week).

I considered paint but at the time I wasn't sure how it'd look and wanted to be able to go back to stock. But now that I've had it for a while, I'm really happy with the look and I wouldn't mind making it permanent with paint. Did you do it yourself or did you have it done, if so, how much?

As for how long the wrap will last, time will tell. I've had it for almost 2 years now and it's holding up very well. I was told that it would probably last about 5 years or so.

I had the work done in Houston. PM me if you want me to refer you to him. Cost was $1750 + new badges but that included some vinyl work and paint/installation of a spoiler (not pictured) . I don't know what he'd charge for just the paint and I'm assuming I got a discount for multiple jobs. It was also a lot more work than he originally anticipated.

He disassembled and prepped the chrome. He's a Tesla certified shop as well. It's a huge job to do it right but I only wanted to do it once.

I don't have final photos since my car is still getting a lot of other work but here's some in progress of the paint.

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 500
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 429
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 426
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 410
  • File_005.jpeg
    File_005.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 422
Sorry I should have been more specific. I only wrapped the chrome on the side skirts/door sills to try to match the non-painted side skirts.

I do agree with what someone told you that a wrap won't stick well on the actual side skirts since the surface is not smooth. The chrome part I did I hope holds up but I won't really know until more time passes (I just wrapped these chrome surfaces last week).

Oh, okay, thanks for the clarification. That's exactly what I did and it's holding up well.

@HebrHmr that looks great! I can imagine it's a TON of work to paint all that chrome properly so I think what you paid is very good considering you had some other vinyl and spoiler work done too. Houston isn't too far from me so I might consider that! Please PM me the info at your convenience. Thanks!

hi all. the installer i want to work with says that he can fully wrap most of the chrome pieces, w the exception of the tesla logos and tesla wording on the trunk.

for those pieces, he would either wrap it and a hairline amount of chrome would show, or i'd have to plasti dip it w another vendor.

for those who blacked out chrome and wrapped the logos/wording, do you have a small amount of chrome showing and is it noticeable?

thanks
Gabe

hi all. the installer i want to work with says that he can fully wrap most of the chrome pieces, w the exception of the tesla logos and tesla wording on the trunk.

for those pieces, he would either wrap it and a hairline amount of chrome would show, or i'd have to plasti dip it w another vendor.

for those who blacked out chrome and wrapped the logos/wording, do you have a small amount of chrome showing and is it noticeable?

thanks
Gabe

I can't see wrap working on the badging at all. RPM Tesla has precut vinyl for the logos and trunk trim lettering but you would have chrome showing on the edges. A lot of people do it this way. The model badging you'll need to either plastidip or order new ones and paint.

I painted it all black and got dark red vinyl for the front logo and trunk trim. I ordered new badging to be painted because once removed it would be very difficult to reattach with fresh double-sided tape. See #62 for pictures. Doesn't have the vinyl on yet.

Reactions: virtualsmack
in addition to confirming that most logos are plast-dipped, i also learned today that the trunk trim has changed on recent models to be more pronounced/raised so the tesla wording can't be fully wrapped. i guess previous models could be wrapped but the latest versions need to be left exposed chrome or painted.

I can't see wrap working on the badging at all. RPM Tesla has precut vinyl for the logos and trunk trim lettering but you would have chrome showing on the edges. A lot of people do it this way. The model badging you'll need to either plastidip or order new ones and paint.

I painted it all black and got dark red vinyl for the front logo and trunk trim. I ordered new badging to be painted because once removed it would be very difficult to reattach with fresh double-sided tape. See #62 for pictures. Doesn't have the vinyl on yet.

I used the RPM Tesla products on my car. Red logo on the frunk, CF on the side indicators, handles and B Pillars. Red "TESLA" lettering on the chrome trunk trim. I like the look. My avatar picture is before I did anything.

I used the RPM Tesla products on my car. Red logo on the frunk, CF on the side indicators, handles and B Pillars. Red "TESLA" lettering on the chrome trunk trim. I like the look. My avatar picture is before I did anything.

I initially used the RPM decals and just did not like the look. The whole logo was not properly covered and just looked off, like a sticker. The rear Tesla lettering was also really small and edges started to separate after the first couple of washes.

I switched to plasti dip red and the change is night and day. It just looks better like it came from the factory and not stickers. Highly recommend fully wrapping or plasti dip over the RPM decals any day.

Has anyone painted the chrome to black it out?
I had a white BMW 330 convertible and blacked the grill surround. (I priced a new one first, just in case.) I sprayed it with adhesion promoter then matte black enamel. It worked well and held up well for the whole time I had the car.

Are there plastidip products that are better than others? I like the peel off option to return to factory chrome in the future.

I've watched wrap instructional videos and think I might like to try doing some myself. It doesn't look terribly difficult.

There seems to be a lot of waste wrap when doing the chrome around the windows. Could it be done with a strip using a little heat to help the wrap with the curvature?

I'd also like to powdercoat my 19" rims. I do have a powdercoat gun but not an oven suitable to cure a rim, my powdercoat toaster oven just won't do it.

All this and the car hasn't been manufactured yet. They're "sourcing parts". I thought they had the parts.

Best,
David