TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Owners With Kids!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Cnasty, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

So I am going on my 3rd week with my Model S and it has changed the way I look at cars forever it is that good.

I do have some concerns over the interior holding up with 2 young kids (4 and 10 months) over the long run. I have the next gen leather seats and premium interior upgrade.
    I am being overly sensitive right now as its brand new and the whole keep it pristine thing is just being blown out of proportion by myself on my new toy and reality is setting in to just enjoy.

I have a rear booster for my 4 year old and a car seat facing backwards for the infant. I have seat covers I found on amazon so the seats aren't actually touching the leather so thats the only precaution I have taken.

Any other Model S parents out there have a kid necessity package or other must have items in their S?

• Like x 2
  2. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I had mine delivered right about the same time as you. We suffered together for 8 weeks :) This is such a damn good car isn't it?
    My youngest is 15 so I can't help on the children advice. I put the rear USB ports in but you are a few years from needing those :)
    I am enjoying this car and have put over 1700 miles on it in under a month. :)
    Matter of fact I'm going out to wash it again today:D

• Like x 3
  3. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I have several kids, and on my second Model S. So far, no issues. In fact, my kids went crazy with a jar of Nutella and a bag of pretzels this weekend, getting that crap everywhere. That, and we took the car camping at the beach, filling it up with wet towels and sand. That did not stop me from tearing into them about bad habits (not that allowing them to have Nutella and pretzels in the first place is wise). The beauty of leather is that it wipes off and cleans up nicely, especially if it is maintained with conditioners. Anyway, I cleaned the car yesterday and it looks just as good as the day I bought it.

Yes, you were just like me when I first got my car. You will learn to let it go. The worst case scenario is that it is all scuff and scratched OVER SEVERAL YEARS. So what? Enjoy the car and let your kids enjoy it too.

• Like x 2
  4. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

We will be forever linked and S buddies!!

It is an amazing car. Almost too amazing as its the best car I have ever owned and I am over babying it with multiple eye rolls by my wife and my poor 4 year old is afraid to get in and out of it as he continues to scuff up the bottom trim and seat.

I am not doing very well so far lol

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

Great advice here and sometimes just hearing it from other owners is therapy in itself.

What leather conditioner/cleaner do you recommend as a fellow parent?

6. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Booster seat fit is problematic. Typical booster will want to sit on top of the buckle, making it exceedingly difficult to buckle the seat belt. Some folks have tried different solutions to varying levels of success. I haven't really solved that problem myself yet; I just suffer with it.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

100% agree here. The seat is wider than the actual space between the buckle and the other side. I have had some big success with a seat belt extender but the booster itself is a little off centered and slightly crooked if that makes sense?

I highly recommend one of these for anyone with a booster and having this issue as the seat belts are so deep into the caverns of the space in the back seat it is tough to get to when buckling in kids.

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Car-Seat-Belt-Extender/dp/B005JZD6KM

8. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Member

I've got a 2 yo son. I use the orbit car system. Even though he is nearing 100% for height and wt, I strongly believe in keeping the car seat rear facing for as long as possible. That being said, he has already done a number on my back seats. I started taking his shoes off bc he kept scuffing the back rest. I bought this interior cleaner from chemical guys. Seems to work well. I just kind of deal with it as it happens, as there is no stopping a crazy 2 yo.

• Like x 2
  9. davidc18

davidc18 Member

Two boys, 6 & 3. had to get set belt extenders to make the booster seats work. I also had to realize that the car is just a car and its primary job is to keep the family safe. It has been 18 months and 26,000 miles and the boys have not managed to damage the car yet. If they do? oh well. As long as they are safe the car is doing its job. Relax, enjoy and don't worry.

• Like x 1
  10. Boourns

Boourns Member

We put our car seat in the middle, since we have only one child, but this makes the rear vents pretty much useless for anything except cooling off the back of the car seat. We got this thing and it works OK. It is a bit cumbersome.

• Funny x 1
  11. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Member

that thing is hilarious

12. Boourns

Boourns Member

It is definitely a bit ridiculous. It also kind of messes with my preference to keep my car uncluttered. But the wife wanted it, and that was not going to be the hill I was going to die on. Happy mommy = happy family.

• Like x 4
  13. democappy

democappy Member

I have a 2 year old and I am just accepting that it is what it is. So far (about a month) he has actually been fairly good with it. However, the back of the passenger is seat is covered with his footprints. I haven't worried about this as much as I probably would if it was happening to the leather.

So far the only thing I have done is put the passenger seat as far forward as possible when it is just him and I in the car so his little legs can't reach it.

• Like x 1
  14. NuG

NuG Member

In addition to the seat mat for under the car seat, I have a cover that protects the back of the passenger seat from footprints and scratches. It alleviated my stress whenever our son would kick the back of the seat - on purpose or "accidentally"

• Like x 1
  15. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

I had one of my friends checking out the car and his statement was "party in the front, daycare in the back"

Summed it up pretty perfectly lol

Thanks fellow parents as all of this feedback is great

• Like x 5
  16. Jhall118

Jhall118 Member

Wait, you can afford a Tesla and have kids? That is a new level of rich :D

• Funny x 6
  17. Victor Liu

Victor Liu Member

I have a 4 and 7 year old. Get the Tesla weather tech mats, car seat covers from amazon to prevent staining and indentations from the car seat, and the seat belt extenders as well ( also from amazon)

• Like x 2
  18. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

Ask the owner of Dragtimes.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  19. realgrippy

realgrippy Member

Agree. Get these things and you are set for the kiddos for scratches, scuffs, and spills....

Seat Protectors from Prince Lionheart
    https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-Stage-Seatsaver-Black/dp/B000083GHY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1473823578&sr=8-1&keywords=lionheart+seat+protector&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Seat Belt Extender for boosters...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SC5AV7W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kick Protectors from Brica
    https://www.amazon.com/Brica-Deluxe-Kick-Mats-Count/dp/B00B7M7CLA/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1473823748&sr=8-1&keywords=back+seat+protector

Tesla All Weather Mats (made by Weather Tech but have Tesla logo)
    Tesla — Model S All-Weather Interior Set

20. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Rule from day 1: No food or drink in the car. Period.

The rule has been loosened over the past two years to allow water only, and it must be in a sealable container.

Call me unreasonable but we stop often enough on trips that there's no need to eat in the car.

• Like x 1