Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Owners With Kids!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cnasty

Jun 20, 2016
Dallas
So I am going on my 3rd week with my Model S and it has changed the way I look at cars forever it is that good.

I do have some concerns over the interior holding up with 2 young kids (4 and 10 months) over the long run. I have the next gen leather seats and premium interior upgrade.
I am being overly sensitive right now as its brand new and the whole keep it pristine thing is just being blown out of proportion by myself on my new toy and reality is setting in to just enjoy.

I have a rear booster for my 4 year old and a car seat facing backwards for the infant. I have seat covers I found on amazon so the seats aren't actually touching the leather so thats the only precaution I have taken.

Any other Model S parents out there have a kid necessity package or other must have items in their S?

I had mine delivered right about the same time as you. We suffered together for 8 weeks :) This is such a damn good car isn't it?
My youngest is 15 so I can't help on the children advice. I put the rear USB ports in but you are a few years from needing those :)
I am enjoying this car and have put over 1700 miles on it in under a month. :)
Matter of fact I'm going out to wash it again today:D

I have several kids, and on my second Model S. So far, no issues. In fact, my kids went crazy with a jar of Nutella and a bag of pretzels this weekend, getting that crap everywhere. That, and we took the car camping at the beach, filling it up with wet towels and sand. That did not stop me from tearing into them about bad habits (not that allowing them to have Nutella and pretzels in the first place is wise). The beauty of leather is that it wipes off and cleans up nicely, especially if it is maintained with conditioners. Anyway, I cleaned the car yesterday and it looks just as good as the day I bought it.

Yes, you were just like me when I first got my car. You will learn to let it go. The worst case scenario is that it is all scuff and scratched OVER SEVERAL YEARS. So what? Enjoy the car and let your kids enjoy it too.

I had mine delivered right about the same time as you. We suffered together for 8 weeks :) This is such a damn good car isn't it?
My youngest is 15 so I can't help on the children advice. I put the rear USB ports in but you are a few years from needing those :)
I am enjoying this car and have put over 1700 miles on it in under a month. :)
Matter of fact I'm going out to wash it again today:D

We will be forever linked and S buddies!!

It is an amazing car. Almost too amazing as its the best car I have ever owned and I am over babying it with multiple eye rolls by my wife and my poor 4 year old is afraid to get in and out of it as he continues to scuff up the bottom trim and seat.

I am not doing very well so far lol

I have several kids, and on my second Model S. So far, no issues. In fact, my kids went crazy with a jar of Nutella and a bag of pretzels this weekend, getting that crap everywhere. That, and we took the car camping at the beach, filling it up with wet towels and sand. That did not stop me from tearing into them about bad habits (not that allowing them to have Nutella and pretzels in the first place is wise). The beauty of leather is that it wipes off and cleans up nicely, especially if it is maintained with conditioners. Anyway, I cleaned the car yesterday and it looks just as good as the day I bought it.

Yes, you were just like me when I first got my car. You will learn to let it go. The worst case scenario is that it is all scuff and scratched OVER SEVERAL YEARS. So what? Enjoy the car and let your kids enjoy it too.

Great advice here and sometimes just hearing it from other owners is therapy in itself.

What leather conditioner/cleaner do you recommend as a fellow parent?

Booster seat fit is problematic. Typical booster will want to sit on top of the buckle, making it exceedingly difficult to buckle the seat belt. Some folks have tried different solutions to varying levels of success. I haven't really solved that problem myself yet; I just suffer with it.

100% agree here. The seat is wider than the actual space between the buckle and the other side. I have had some big success with a seat belt extender but the booster itself is a little off centered and slightly crooked if that makes sense?

I highly recommend one of these for anyone with a booster and having this issue as the seat belts are so deep into the caverns of the space in the back seat it is tough to get to when buckling in kids.

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Car-Seat-Belt-Extender/dp/B005JZD6KM

I've got a 2 yo son. I use the orbit car system. Even though he is nearing 100% for height and wt, I strongly believe in keeping the car seat rear facing for as long as possible. That being said, he has already done a number on my back seats. I started taking his shoes off bc he kept scuffing the back rest. I bought this interior cleaner from chemical guys. Seems to work well. I just kind of deal with it as it happens, as there is no stopping a crazy 2 yo.

Reactions: Kira and Cnasty
Two boys, 6 & 3. had to get set belt extenders to make the booster seats work. I also had to realize that the car is just a car and its primary job is to keep the family safe. It has been 18 months and 26,000 miles and the boys have not managed to damage the car yet. If they do? oh well. As long as they are safe the car is doing its job. Relax, enjoy and don't worry.

Reactions: Cnasty
I have a 2 year old and I am just accepting that it is what it is. So far (about a month) he has actually been fairly good with it. However, the back of the passenger is seat is covered with his footprints. I haven't worried about this as much as I probably would if it was happening to the leather.

So far the only thing I have done is put the passenger seat as far forward as possible when it is just him and I in the car so his little legs can't reach it.

In addition to the seat mat for under the car seat, I have a cover that protects the back of the passenger seat from footprints and scratches. It alleviated my stress whenever our son would kick the back of the seat - on purpose or "accidentally"

I have a 4 and 7 year old. Get the Tesla weather tech mats, car seat covers from amazon to prevent staining and indentations from the car seat, and the seat belt extenders as well ( also from amazon)

Agree. Get these things and you are set for the kiddos for scratches, scuffs, and spills....

Seat Protectors from Prince Lionheart
https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-Stage-Seatsaver-Black/dp/B000083GHY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1473823578&sr=8-1&keywords=lionheart+seat+protector&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Seat Belt Extender for boosters...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SC5AV7W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kick Protectors from Brica
https://www.amazon.com/Brica-Deluxe...473823748&sr=8-1&keywords=back+seat+protector

Tesla All Weather Mats (made by Weather Tech but have Tesla logo)
Tesla — Model S All-Weather Interior Set