Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D becomes world's fastest car from Dec update !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's important to note what your usage of the car will be. If you just like to blow people off at stop lights, or like to go to the drags, then you'd be the fastest car around for much cheaper than any other car in that category.

But if you like to have a car that you can daily drive, but also like to occasionally go to the track, there are other cars that are cheaper and will outperform and achieve faster track times than the MS.

In all honesty, I probably would only track a car once or twice if I ever even went. So for me, I would opt for the MS due to the short bursts of insane acceleration you can achieve. I would never go drag racing as I find that boring and pointless but it sure would make the daily driving a lot more exciting when you wanted that ludicrous acceleration.

Reactions: Old Man Mike
Often, I find that the persons who are quick to point out where a Tesla does not perform as well as {Insert car here}:
  1. Do not own either.
  2. Fail to recognize there are entire groups of people who race for the exact performance measure(s) that Tesla touts (1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, 0-60 times).
  3. Fail to recognize that it still outperforms any car they have ever or will ever drive.
  4. Fail to recognize its the only car they have a shot at ever owning.
You forget
5. X car will beat it in Y race
6. It's a one shot pony do something longer than 1/4 mile
7. You can't do laps like a track car before it starts to overheat

That's the general consensus when reading Youtube comments.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Often, I find that the persons who are quick to point out where a Tesla does not perform as well as {Insert car here}:
  1. Do not own either.
  2. Fail to recognize there are entire groups of people who race for the exact performance measure(s) that Tesla touts (1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, 0-60 times).
  3. Fail to recognize that it still outperforms any car they have ever or will ever drive.
  4. Fail to recognize its the only car they have a shot at ever owning.

5. or, they are simply jealous that they favorite car brand, has lost this race to a no-name company from Silicon valley
6. or, you are a German. Ouch! it sure hurts

Reactions: EinSV
You forget
5. X car will beat it in Y race
6. It's a one shot pony do something longer than 1/4 mile
7. You can't do laps like a track car before it starts to overheat

That's the general consensus when reading Youtube comments.

What daily driving car that seats 5 and has midsized suv cargo capacity can you buy for cheaper that is faster than 10.6 seconds????????

He means track as in driving around in laps. Apparently ignoring the reality that Teslas, especially the newer ones, can be managed to not overheat and get respectable lap times -- beating the M3 that I posted early.

Just because Teslas have all that acceleration doesn't mean you have to use it all all the time. Just ration it a bit to manage the battery temp and depending on how long the lap is, a Tesla can still beat lots of other cars.

There is also autocross. And the P100D has a new cooling system.

He's a troll and no amount of reality will shake him from his view -- a view that was formed after careful examination and study of the youtube comments.

Last edited:
He means track as in driving around in laps. Apparently ignoring the reality that Teslas, especially the newer ones, can be managed to not overheat and get respectable lap times -- beating the M3 that I posted early.

Just because Teslas have all that acceleration doesn't mean you have to use it all all the time. Just ration it a bit to manage the battery temp and depending on how long the lap is, a Tesla can still beat lots of other cars.

There is also autocross. And the P100D has a new cooling system.

He's a troll and no amount of reality will shake him from his view -- a view that was formed after careful examination and study of the youtube comments.

First off, no, I am not a troll. If you look at my posts, I am a fellow MS owner and in no way am I trying to bash Tesla (if you would have read my entire post).

Also, I was not 'ignoring' your post, but since you brought it up, there are two things:
- The track time posted by you here is not the type of 'track' day I was talking about. Max speed of 75mph? Look at a full scale track like Laguna Seca, do you see the times posted there? (Laguna Seca (post 1988) lap times - FastestLaps.com) As far as I know, the best times by any MS so far to race there is in the mid 1:55 range. Granted, there's not enough data like the newer models that have better cooling. But suffice to say, there are plenty of cars that you can buy in a cheaper price range that will handle a full track day of fun better than the MS
- You say you have to feather it to avoid over heating? That in my opinion is not an option when you're at the track. Who wants to have to think about how much feathering they're giving the car while trying to go around it as fast as possible. But for arguments sake, let's say you do this, what proof do you have as far as what cars in a similar price range the tesla can actually beat? I have no problem being proven wrong here, but I do not think there is any race track where a MS has been able to do this.

But again, like I said, I'm not bashing the MS at all. If I didn't love my car, I woudln't have bought it in the first place. I'm just saying, the car you buy depends on how you use it. I never will track mine so I can care less about whether it overheats on the track. if I was a club member and race regularly at the track, I would have bought something else like a CTS-V, GTR...

First off, no, I am not a troll. If you look at my posts, I am a fellow MS owner and in no way am I trying to bash Tesla (if you would have read my entire post).

Also, I was not 'ignoring' your post, but since you brought it up, there are two things:
- The track time posted by you here is not the type of 'track' day I was talking about. Max speed of 75mph? Look at a full scale track like Laguna Seca, do you see the times posted there? (Laguna Seca (post 1988) lap times - FastestLaps.com) As far as I know, the best times by any MS so far to race there is in the mid 1:55 range. Granted, there's not enough data like the newer models that have better cooling. But suffice to say, there are plenty of cars that you can buy in a cheaper price range that will handle a full track day of fun better than the MS
- You say you have to feather it to avoid over heating? That in my opinion is not an option when you're at the track. Who wants to have to think about how much feathering they're giving the car while trying to go around it as fast as possible. But for arguments sake, let's say you do this, what proof do you have as far as what cars in a similar price range the tesla can actually beat? I have no problem being proven wrong here, but I do not think there is any race track where a MS has been able to do this.

But again, like I said, I'm not bashing the MS at all. If I didn't love my car, I woudln't have bought it in the first place. I'm just saying, the car you buy depends on how you use it. I never will track mine so I can care less about whether it overheats on the track. if I was a club member and race regularly at the track, I would have bought something else like a CTS-V, GTR...

Don't be afraid of taking your MS track or autocross -- if that's what you want to do. Other people are doing it and having fun.

The Tesla Racing Series - TESLARATI.com

Autocross in a Tesla Model S

Power limiting while track lapping

And meanwhile don't spread FUD about it not being possible or fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianman
Don't be afraid of taking your MS track or autocross -- if that's what you want to do. Other people are doing it and having fun.

The Tesla Racing Series - TESLARATI.com

Autocross in a Tesla Model S

Power limiting while track lapping

And meanwhile don't spread FUD about it not being possible or fun.

I am in full agreement that you can have fun at an autocross with the MS. I hope none of my posts were coming across that the MS can't be enjoyed in such a fashion. Even a tight course like the times you posted earlier, I am sure would be a lot of fun.

But I do think it's important to make sure we get the facts straight as far as the capabilities. I mean, if the MS really can handle multiple laps at Laguna (closest track to me), and not bog down half way through the first lap, I would be ecstatic. However, at least with the P85/D, the times at Laguna were comparable to cars like the Cobalt, WRX, etc.

I will admit that I know nothing of how much better the cooling is on the P100D. I would love to see some people take the car out there and see how the lap times compare to the previously set P85/D lap times.

Trust me, I love my MS and I love the Tesla brand. I will root for them all day to improve the cooling enough to handle laps at a track like Laguna. Sorry if my posts made it sound like I'm knocking Tesla or the MS...in no way were they intended to come across that way.

Tesla does have a history of overstating performance, or measuring it selectively and mention only one reading.
We know th 762hp of the P100DL. But how does it make when crossing the finish in a 1/4 mile race?
The first 85kWh car was by far the longest range and capacity one of its time, but quite overstated.
Electric motor manufacturers specify peak power and continuous power. Tesla states peak power as "power".

They could be more open about realistic figures, but choose not to.

• Disagree
Reactions: sorka and WarpedOne
> A video would be priceless.

No, not a video of burnout shenanigans, but a video explaining the functional difference between DC Brushless vs Induction motors. I know, a major yawn. :rolleyes:

Wally's writeup is nine years old but likely Tesla has not changed their 'AC Propulsion' motor/inverter configurations. I'm guessing GM also uses AC in the Spark EV > Bolt series but I notice GM places their inverter above and at some distance from the motor contrary to Tesla. A clue perhaps? He mentions hybrid motors but I wonder why they would have different motor requirements than BEV.
--

Tesla does have a history of overstating performance, or measuring it selectively and mention only one reading.
We know th 762hp of the P100DL. But how does it make when crossing the finish in a 1/4 mile race?
The first 85kWh car was by far the longest range and capacity one of its time, but quite overstated.
Electric motor manufacturers specify peak power and continuous power. Tesla states peak power as "power".

They could be more open about realistic figures, but choose not to.

Actually, Tesla has a much longer history of understating performance. Their exceptions are the P85D's 691 hp(actual 463 hp) and the V1 P90DL's 10.9 second 1/4 mile time(actual 11.2 seconds).

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pezpunk and GSP
I wish everyone would stop all of this rollout talk. Tessa's are blowing its competition away at the line.

Bugatti, Porsche, Lambos, aren't even Tessa's competition and its beating them off the line.

If rollout is not important. Then show me a P100D 2.2 sec time to 60 mph like the Porsche 918 can do using 1 ft rollout ;)

Tesla want almost $7000 for a ludicrous upgrade that improves the time as much as using rollout does. So dont say it does not matter.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: sorka and Pezpunk
Actually, Tesla has a much longer history of understating performance. Their exceptions are the P85D's 691 hp(actual 463 hp) and the V1 P90DL's 10.9 second 1/4 mile time(actual 11.2 seconds).

Yes the P85, 85D ++ did all deliver more than originally specs.

The P85D and V1 P90D did not deliver even close on the hyped performance. Still feel let down by Tesla after buying the P85D for its 691hp. But it was not even close to deliver the power and the 0-60 time was with the rollout hoax. Sold my old car with 510hp believing the Tesla was equally fast hp/weight ratio. But was slower.

On the autobahn even a 70D is almost the same above 130 kph. Did race a friends 70D and was only able to get a car length from 120kph to 200 kph on him.

Tesla wants $7000 to upgrade the car to Ludicrous so it does the 0-60 time as originally advertised. (Tesla did not inform on the webpage about 1 ft rollout when I did order or receive my car. They did add that the performance models and only them was using rollout almost 1 year after I did order my car)
Its just ludicrous ;)

Last edited:
As a P100D owner with Ludicrous, I can tell you there is very little noticeable wheel spin when I launch on a normal street. I can't say for certain whether I'm hitting 2.5 seconds but I can say for certain the acceleration defies description.
I have a MS P90DL and can't imagine the faster acceleration you are getting.

Have raced at the strip without launch control and just started getting comfortable with launch control on the street. Will be taking it back to the strip in the next couple of weeks to see how it changes my ET's.

Fastest or 5th fastest doesn't matter to me. This car is fun to drive, comfortable, clean, and more.

Yes the P85, 85D ++ did all deliver more than originally specs.

The P85D and V1 P90D did not deliver even close on the hyped performance. Still feel let down by Tesla after buying the P85D for its 691hp. But it was not even close to deliver the power and the 0-60 time was with the rollout hoax. Sold my old car with 510hp believing the Tesla was equally fast hp/weight ratio. But was slower.

On the autobahn even a 70D is almost the same above 130 kph. Did race a friends 70D and was only able to get a car length from 120kph to 200 kph on him.

Tesla wants $7000 to upgrade the car to Ludicrous so it does the 0-60 time as originally advertised. (Tesla did not inform on the webpage about 1 ft rollout when I did order or receive my car. They did add that the performance models and only them was using rollout almost 1 year after I did order my car)
Its just ludicrous ;)

Given that Tesla advertised the P85D here in the US using the 1 ft rollout, you'd expect folks in far away lands to realize that pubs here in the US use a different standard. But the problem is Tesla advertised every other model variant's 0-60 *WITHOUT* the 1 ft rollout HERE in the US so it's understandable that those in other countries would assume Tesla did the same thing on the P85D as it did with other models.

Tesla still needs to make right by those they over promised and under delivered to. Fortunately it appears their brief period of overstating performance is long past (well at least 6 months past ;)