Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D becomes world's fastest car from Dec update !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Again,

Elon Musk just disclosed the new Easter Egg which will give Model S a new performance boost that will enable it to go from 0 - 60 mph in just 2.4 secs that's faster than the Bugatti Veyron & Porsche 918 Spyder, actually the fastest production car in the world at the time... so what's the future of ICE Manufacturers and Vehicles? what they gonna brag about?

chart-model-s-comparison-0-60-x-auto.jpg

Look at the comparison chart. If interested read more: Elon's 'P100D Easter Egg' Makes Model S The Fastest Production Car Ever

Better traction control to put the car right on the friction limit and hold it there, maybe?

After reflecting on this a bit, it might be related to the difference in motor design, too. I'm not an expert on the subject, so I welcome any further clarification folks would like to offer.

As I understand it, Rimac is using permanent magnet motors, like most of the rest of the industry. In a PM motor, the inverter has to generate AC with a frequency that exactly matches the rate of rotation, and the torque is determined by the relative phases - the further the motor is behind the AC pulse, the harder it pulls towards it (regeneration occurs when the motor is ahead of the inverter generated cycle.)

In that environment, if a wheel slips, the car has to adjust the phasing to restore full torque to the wheel, I think.

Tesla is using induction motors. In an induction motor, the motor torque is based on the difference in rpm between the inverter generated AC and the motor - when the motor spins slower relative to the field, it produces more torque.

That means that as long as Tesla keeps producing a certain rpm at a certain vehicle speed, they'll get the same torque on any wheel that isn't slipping. I think.

Good track times with a 'civil' nonmodified car?
BS.
Most Porsches, Ferraris, etc can post good track times, even on street tires. Although I guess that depends on your definitions of "good" and "civil"

Doing 250km/h for 10 hours straight is also one-trick-pony?
What car has a range of 2500km, at any speed, let alone 250km/h?

Understanding exactly what is happening at launch with a 3 phase AC motor/inverter is interesting. Tesla's traction control is so effective that I assume there are rotation sensors on each of the driven wheels. There is also a rotation sensor on each motor shaft that is basic to its operation and additionally is used by Traction Control to eliminate wheel slip during launch. So right at this point things are very complex. My guess is that control is being made within the degree range between permanent magnet pole and its corresponding attracting/repelling coil magnet, one being on the rotor and the other on the stator. So this is 'rpm' guaging to a very fine degree.

If you ever converted an alternator into a stepper motor with the ability to advance just a few degrees at a time (360/#poles) you might get a good sense of the dynamics of TC.

A video would be priceless.
--

Reactions: X-Auto
Understanding exactly what is happening at launch with a 3 phase AC motor/inverter is interesting. Tesla's traction control is so effective that I assume there are rotation sensors on each of the driven wheels. There is also a rotation sensor on each motor shaft that is basic to its operation and additionally is used by Traction Control to eliminate wheel slip during launch. So right at this point things are very complex. My guess is that control is being made within the degree range between permanent magnet pole and its corresponding attracting/repelling coil magnet, one being on the rotor and the other on the stator. So this is 'rpm' guaging to a very fine degree.

If you ever converted an alternator into a stepper motor with the ability to advance just a few degrees at a time (360/#poles) you might get a good sense of the dynamics of TC.

A video would be priceless.
--

Tesla doesn't use permanent magnet motors.

How is it the "world's fastest car"? "The world's fastes car" isn't quite the same as "the fastest from 0 - 60". It's a one trick pony for publicity reasons.

Since 99% of driving is done at speeds a Prius can achieve the maximum speed listed really have 0 significance for most of humanity. None. Motor trend and other top end speed oriented press folks have a lot of work to do to change the perception of what is good and useful, they still speak lovingly of the sound of pollution and waste exhaust...really in today's world they have not progressed their journalistic writing beyond an analysis done in the 1930's.

Why do I want a car to make a sound? Never ever got that. I've driven everything from tractors, to illegal street hot rods, to small planes, to forest harvesting forwarding skidders. Every group of users has some % that enjoys hearing exhaust...so maybe I am odd. For me, I'd like to hear the wind and birds and not much more. Reason i like sailing, mountain biking, etc.

So a vehicle such as a laferrari is designed to meet very specific check boxes (high price, high top end, production limited just like prints in an art gallery, barely street legal, etc) they are never going to be driven at top speeds, the cost is a selling point geared to an an unholy income distribution skew, and it is deliberately production curtailed to make it collectable.

Better to measure fastest cars with 50,000 vehicles on the road. You'd drop all the useless chaff right off that list and be left with a Porsche 911 and Tesla. Both great cars, both exciting. If I want chaff I'd put NASCAR frames on there, they have more vehicles than some of those "production" cars. By dropping the chaff you'd force motor trend to discuss driving rather than salivating on some ridiculous checklist that has nothing to do with driving.

I summary, if you want fast go to bonneville (really-that is a blast). If you want to discuss exciting driving for the normal joe...than yeah Tesla is amazing, head knocking back gravity defying acceleration with perfect traction control that no other vehicle can touch. Yeah, it's pretty f'ing awesome.

> Tesla doesn't use permanent magnet motors. [Saghost]

Not sure what difference that would make. I was imagining a difference between controlling the spin of a revolving magnetic field as opposed to controlling the spin of a (physical) shaft. The former would be instantaneous, the latter might be slower or might be virtually just as fast. I don't know.
--