Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D Hits 0-60 in 2.2755 Seconds w/1 Foot Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EinSV

Feb 6, 2016
NorCal
Motor Trend reports P100D with Easter Egg enabled ran 0-60 in 2.2755 seconds with their standard 1 foot rollout -- the fastest of any car they've tested, including Ferrari LaFerrari, Porsche 918 and McLaren P1.

The P100D beat Porsche 911 Turbo S in head-to-head 0-60 and tied it in quarter mile at 10.5 seconds, although it was not as fast as the LaFerrari, 918 and P1 in the quarter mile.

There is a fairly detailed comparison of performance during the one foot rollout with some of the fastest competitors for those who are interested.

Punchline is below:

In our testing, no production car has ever cracked 2.3 seconds from 0 to 60 mph. But Tesla has, in 2.275507139 seconds.
Pretty amazing for a 4900 lb car that gets 98MPGe.

2017 Tesla Model S P100D First Test: A New Record - 0-60 MPH in 2.28 Seconds! - Motor Trend

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool article but why haven't any customer cars run this fast?

There are plenty of P100D's out in the wild now.

Is there something special about Motortrend's test track, their timing equipment, or the cars that they receive from Tesla?

Do we need to consider Motortrend as fake news and apply a fudge factor to all numbers that they report?

Seems that they get consistently better times than any other car that's actually delivered.

Is there something special about Motortrend's test track, their timing equipment, or the cars that they receive from Tesla?

Do we need to consider Motortrend as fake news and apply a fudge factor to all numbers that they report?

Seems that they get consistently better times than any other car that's actually delivered.

They use the same methodology with the other cars they test -- including LaFerrari, 918, P1 and Porsche 911 Turbo S.

I am no expert but their 1 foot rollout method should result in faster times than without it because there is a small "head start," but the head-to-head comparison beating LaFerrari and the 918 at 0-60 using consistent methodology is impressive to me.

Also, from the photos it looks like they tested a P100D with the standard roof instead of glass or panoramic roof. Obviously, times are going to be a bit slower for cars with options that add weight (a point Car and Driver made when they ran their P90DL tests).

Last edited:
Why do they list the IIHS safety as N/A when we know that the Model S didn't exactly do well (and the P100D got marked down for the extra weight).

They also say a 911 turbo and GT-R accelerate faster than 918, P1 and Laferrari to 30. I'm not convinced...

That said I can absolutely appreciate the P100D for what it is. I just feel like Motortrend seem to exaggerate their figures

Why do they list the IIHS safety as N/A when we know that the Model S didn't exactly do well (and the P100D got marked down for the extra weight).

They also say a 911 turbo and GT-R accelerate faster than 918, P1 and Laferrari to 30. I'm not convinced...

That said I can absolutely appreciate the P100D for what it is. I just feel like Motortrend seem to exaggerate their figures

I can't see any reason why Motor Trend would favor Tesla over Ferrari, Porsche and McLaren especially since Tesla spends zero dollars on advertising.

As mentioned above, I agree that the Motor Trend methodology does seem to produce faster times than some other 0-60 testing methods, but since they apply the same methodology to other cars the results are meaningful IMO. Feel free to disagree if you like :)

The forged arachnid wheels are lighter than the stock 21. No panoroof save 60 kg weight, no other extras and a 45 kg girl as the driver maybe ;)

Reactions: bhzmark
You can forge your own wheels but you can't forge your own facts.

Goodness gracious, those are impressive data. As a real-world, rather than a test-track, driver, however, I agree with Vitold:

the 1.1 sec 45-65mph is representative of how much safer these EVs are than effectively any ICE.

Are you serious? Model S is highest rated in every category except for one from a recent test (scored just below highest rated) and Tesla already fixed the issue and expects to be retested for highest rating in every category once again in a couple weeks. Oh, and IIHS changed standards for headlights and now basically every car is rated poor there (and Tesla is working to improve this rating now too).

You might want to read beyond a clickbait headline before spreading disinformation all over the place.

It's about 0.2 seconds faster than anything else reported from a P100D.

But we already know the "the P90D reliably rips through the quarter mile in 10.9 seconds" ringer they had before was really a 1600 amp car and not a 1500 amp car long before any actual customers got the V2.

I have no reason to believe this isn't another ringer.:rolleyes:

They use the same methodology with the other cars they test -- including LaFerrari, 918, P1 and Porsche 911 Turbo S.

I am no expert but their 1 foot rollout method should result in faster times than without it because there is a small "head start," but the head-to-head comparison beating LaFerrari and the 918 at 0-60 using consistent methodology is impressive to me.

Also, from the photos it looks like they tested a P100D with the standard roof instead of glass or panoramic roof. Obviously, times are going to be a bit slower for cars with options that add weight (a point Car and Driver made when they ran their P90DL tests).

Everyone is already using 1 ft rollouts with their vbox and pbox meters.

Reactions: P85DEE
It's about 0.2 seconds faster than anything else reported from a P100D.

But we already know the "the P90D reliably rips through the quarter mile in 10.9 seconds" ringer they had before was really a 1600 amp car and not a 1500 amp car long before any actual customers got the V2.

I have no reason to believe this isn't another ringer.:rolleyes:

The TRC guy got 2.389 -- only about 0.1 second difference, not 0.2. Watch a "Ludicrous+" Tesla Model S P100D Do 0-60 in 2.39 Seconds

I understand that 0-60 times for Tesla P models are a religious issue for some so I plan to bow out of the discussion.

This testing looks legit to me as an apples-to-apples comparison with the 918 and LaFerrari. Feel free to believe otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and Jaff
They also say in the article what the time is from standstill to the 1 ft mark (where the rollout ends). It was 0.26 seconds, so the total 0 - 60 time including the rollout was 2.54 seconds which is not out of line at all with what others have gotten that weren't excluding the rollout.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and bhzmark
They also say in the article what the time is from standstill to the 1 ft mark (where the rollout ends). It was 0.26 seconds, so the total 0 - 60 time including the rollout was 2.54 seconds which is not out of line at all with what others have gotten that weren't excluding the rollout.

Who reported times not including the 1 ft rollout? The pbox display only displays with 1 ft rollout. If you take the data file from it or a vbox you can extract it with and without the 1 ft rollout but it's more work and most don't.

If the TRC guy got 2.389, I'll take that as legit. Still, in this 0-60 time range 0.12 seconds is a huge difference.

The other interesting piece is Motor Trend is stating (SAE net) combined motor output power is 680 hp. I haven't seen this stated before, just individual max motor hp (which aren't necessarily achieved simultaneously).

Attachments

• IMG_1860.PNG
    IMG_1860.PNG
    628.5 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: NSX1992