Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D Hits 0-60 in 2.2755 Seconds w/1 Foot Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other interesting piece is Motor Trend is stating (SAE net) combined motor output power is 680 hp. I haven't seen this stated before, just individual max motor hp (which aren't necessarily achieved simultaneously).

According to my PowerTools app, the logs of my car have recorded 574 KW total simultaneous output, which according to google translates to 770hp. am i misreading the app? or is MT measuring HP at the wheels and not the motors?

Cool article but why haven't any customer cars run this fast?

There are plenty of P100D's out in the wild now.

Is there something special about Motortrend's test track, their timing equipment, or the cars that they receive from Tesla?

Do we need to consider Motortrend as fake news and apply a fudge factor to all numbers that they report?

Seems that they get consistently better times than any other car that's actually delivered.

From Elon's tweets and the MT article these are the ten items you need to have OR remove from the vehicle to produce the same 0-60 time:

1. P100D without pano. MSRP as tested was $148,000
2. 21'' Arachnids wheels
3. Test at high altitude. improves performance.
4. Multi-Pattern seats with carbon fiber trim
5. Remove the floormats
6. Remove the liner from the Frunk
7. Enable max battery power and wait at least 10 minutes between 0-60 runs
8. Curb weight at 4,891 lbs, plus driver and gear 5,062. Driver AND gear were <172 lbs.
9. SOC > 90%
10. Firmware v8.0 release 2.52.22

From Elon's tweets and the MT article these are the ten items you need to have OR remove from the vehicle to produce the same 0-60 time:

1. P100D without pano. MSRP as tested was $148,000
2. 21'' Arachnids wheels
3. Test at high altitude. improves performance.
4. Multi-Pattern seats with carbon fiber trim
5. Remove the floormats
7. Enable max battery power and wait at least 10 minutes between 0-60 runs
8. Curb weight at 4,891 lbs, plus driver and gear 5,062. Driver AND gear were <172 lbs.
9. SOC > 90%
10. Firmware v8.0 release 2.52.22
Also, would prob want the driver get a carotid ultrasound and possibly echo to avoid precipitating a stroke... just sayin'

and i'm sure MT takes similar measures when testing Porsches and Ferraris. it's not like removing weight is some new concept. i remember an article from years ago when they were testing the top speed of a Mustang and they actually put duct tape over the overhang of the headlights to make it more aerodynamic.

Reactions: bhzmark and EinSV
I'd meant to provide these data before, in some subforum, but given how this thread has veered toward HP I thought I'd share -

the Cert. of Origin that came with my P100D Model X last week says: "H.P (SAE): 610". Also, its shipping weight is 5,520 lbs.

Presumably, someone has shared those numbers somewhere on the Model X thread but I'm not going to go chase them.

• Informative
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
According to my PowerTools app, the logs of my car have recorded 574 KW total simultaneous output, which according to google translates to 770hp. am i misreading the app? or is MT measuring HP at the wheels and not the motors?

Power tools app measures battery electrical output power. With P100D in L+ mode there is a new display showing motor input power, which combined is which is about 6% less than powertools battery output power (reasonable inverter loss). "SAE net" power is (motor) output power. Still not power to wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pezpunk

5. Remove the floormats

No he said if you removed them you could get even better performance: "@jovanik21 Take out the floor mats and its 2.27. MT said everything had to be standard production." and "@jovanik21 Also, Tesla service can remove front trunk liner if you don't use it and improve performance further"

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: sorka and EinSV

MT is using Tesla stated combined power at the motor shafts. There's about 11% loss from battery to the final shaft output so that's 474*1.341*.89 = 685 shaft hp.

At least Tesla is finally playing fair with the hp numbers. That's only 6 hp less than what they originally claimed for the 463 HP P85D Insane. The P100D makes an actual 222 hp more than the P85D Insane originally did.

eh i feel like a shill and a broken record but i can't help myself in the face of so much ignorance, haha. :/

MT is using Tesla stated combined power at the motor shafts. There's about 11% loss from battery to the final shaft output so that's 474*1.341*.89 = 685 shaft hp.

At least Tesla is finally playing fair with the hp numbers. That's only 6 hp less than what they originally claimed for the 463 HP P85D Insane. The P100D makes an actual 222 hp more than the P85D Insane originally did.

They're saying SAE instead of "horsepower motor power" clearly to prevent any further confusion between the two as was what happened before when people didn't read closely enough.

I am no expert but their 1 foot rollout method should result in faster times than without it because there is a small "head start," but the head-to-head comparison beating LaFerrari and the 918 at 0-60 using consistent methodology is impressive to me.

Luckily, no speculation is needed regarding how the three vehicles did in their roll-out. Per the source:
Tesla: 0.26 second
Porsche: 0.20 second
Ferrari: 0.19 second

Btw, to state the time with 10 significant digits as above is utterly meaningless, it would require f.ex. the 1 foot roll-out to be measured with a precision of about 10 nm, i.e. one wavelength of extreme ultraviolet light or soft X-ray radiation, depending on your preference.

It's about 0.2 seconds faster than anything else reported from a P100D.

But we already know the "the P90D reliably rips through the quarter mile in 10.9 seconds" ringer they had before was really a 1600 amp car and not a 1500 amp car long before any actual customers got the V2.

I have no reason to believe this isn't another ringer.:rolleyes:

Was tied at 3 disagree and 3 like. Looks like the disagrees just pulled ahead o_O

• Love
Reactions: MikeBur
Was tied at 3 disagree and 3 like. Looks like the disagrees just pulled ahead o_O

As of right now it's still tied.

That "disagree" wasn't real. It was a "ringer". :D

In fact this entire post is a ringer. And you were lucky enough to get this version while nobody else did. No one else can see this version of this post except you. :D

I'm going to release a watered down "version 1" of this post to everyone else in here for now.

But you got the "ringer" or what I like to call the "V3" version of this post and before anyone else.

I'll release your version of this post to the members joining a few months from now. :D

Last edited:
It's about 0.2 seconds faster than anything else reported from a P100D.

But we already know the "the P90D reliably rips through the quarter mile in 10.9 seconds" ringer they had before was really a 1600 amp car and not a 1500 amp car long before any actual customers got the V2.

I have no reason to believe this isn't another ringer.:rolleyes:

I note the new MT test car is also optioned just like the prior one.. very lightweight: No pano roof, no UHF, not even premium package with power hatch (note the black rather than chrome side front grills), lightweight wheels and seating. Although I think SAS is required now.

I have no reason to believe the MT times (both w the P90D and this one) aren't fully explained by the svelte optioning and being driven by people who do this for a living.

Weighty options have ET consequences because physics.

But ringer conspiracy allegations will persist because human psychology. http://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...plains-why-people-believe-conspiracy-theories

Last edited:
Reactions: P85DEE and EinSV
i'm also unclear why people would be suspicious of Tesla and not be suspicious of every other manufacturer that sends cars for MT to test.
Not just MT ;)
This is how Top Gear’s Chris Harris was BANNED from driving Ferraris | Motoring Research

I guess the biggest difference between Tesla and every other manufacturer though is to actually achieve some of the specs is ridiculously hard (especially things like lap times round say the 'Ring).

The Tesla makes the performance so much more accessible, that paraphrasing Elon you can get in and mash the pedal. This deskilling is in no small part a big chunk of the appeal of the car, but it also removes the human variable when owners try to replicate the results.

FWIW I do think these latest figures are hugely impressive, heck even the low 3s 0-60 times were, considering the car's sedan underpinnings. It will be interesting to see how the lighter P version of the 3 works out, though I do hope Tesla use a bit more time on other aspects of the car rather than simply chasing the acceleration metrics.