Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D Hits 0-60 in 2.2755 Seconds w/1 Foot Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool article but why haven't any customer cars run this fast?

There are plenty of P100D's out in the wild now.

Is there something special about Motortrend's test track, their timing equipment, or the cars that they receive from Tesla?

Do we need to consider Motortrend as fake news and apply a fudge factor to all numbers that they report?

Seems that they get consistently better times than any other car that's actually delivered.

Because both Tesla and motor trend have incentive to make #'s show well.
I'm not going to say they cheated per say but yeah, they did.
It's common, really standard in the industry. So while the car that was measured was using OEM parts, that definition was loosely interpreted which is why that car is 189# lighter than mine. (i have no pano roof & 19" wheels)

From Elon's tweets and the MT article these are the ten items you need to have OR remove from the vehicle to produce the same 0-60 time:

1. P100D without pano. MSRP as tested was $148,000
2. 21'' Arachnids wheels
3. Test at high altitude. improves performance.
4. Multi-Pattern seats with carbon fiber trim
5. Remove the floormats
6. Remove the liner from the Frunk
7. Enable max battery power and wait at least 10 minutes between 0-60 runs
8. Curb weight at 4,891 lbs, plus driver and gear 5,062. Driver AND gear were <172 lbs.
9. SOC > 90%
10. Firmware v8.0 release 2.52.22

I noticed the cloth seats and special wheels too. Funny stuff.

But, hell yeah, this is awesome.

i'm also unclear why people would be suspicious of Tesla and not be suspicious of every other manufacturer that sends cars for MT to test.

Because Norway settlement and pending US Class Action along the same lines?

Also, we have Powertools apps and can ostensibly measure power directly, and because there appears to be an established pattern of Tesla submitting "ringers" to the magazines for testing, yet selling "B" or "C" cars to customers that don't meet performance suggested by magazines until later, if at all:

Tesla is secretly adding over 50 hp to the Model S P90D Ludicrous based on 3rd party testing, what does it mean?

Love Tesla, but they're not beyond pulling fast ones to generate more sales, or so it appears . . . .

Because both Tesla and motor trend have incentive to make #'s show well.
I'm not going to say they cheated per say but yeah, they did.
It's common, really standard in the industry. So while the car that was measured was using OEM parts, that definition was loosely interpreted which is why that car is 189# lighter than mine. (i have no pano roof & 19" wheels)

I saw your post and was digging around on TMC trying to find out the curb weight of a Model S P100D, and came across another thread where you mentioned that your Model S had jump seats, upgraded stereo (more speakers) and air suspension, and you also mentioned that you were carrying other items in the car when it was weighed, including charger cable and tow hook. Put my P100d on the scale

A Google search reports the curb weight of a P100D as 4941 pounds, which is w/n 50 pounds of what Motor Trend reported.

I don't understand the urge to try to minimize Tesla's accomplishment. The LaFerrari and 918 ran a 2.4 using Motor Trend's protocol and driver. The P100D ran a 2.2755.

I am sure Motor Trend takes these tests seriously and is very careful not to add unnecessary weight in any of their tests -- whether with the Porsche, Tesla or Ferrari. From all appearances these are an apples-to-apples, fair comparison.

Model S P100D: Quickest Production Car. Ever.

I think that's a truly incredible feat in just the fifth year of Model S production. I am looking forward to the next record falling.:)

Last edited:
I saw your post and was digging around on TMC trying to find out the curb weight of a Model S P100D, and came across another thread where you mentioned that your Model S had jump seats, upgraded stereo (more speakers) and air suspension, and you also mentioned that you were carrying other items in the car when it was weighed, including charger cable and tow hook. Put my P100d on the scale

A Google search reports the curb weight of a P100D as 4941 pounds, which is w/n 50 pounds of what Motor Trend reported.

I don't understand the urge to try to minimize Tesla's accomplishment. The LaFerrari and 918 ran a 2.4 using Motor Trend's protocol and driver. The P100D ran a 2.2755.

I am sure Motor Trend takes these tests seriously and is very careful not to add unnecessary weight in any of their tests -- whether with the Porsche, Tesla or Ferrari. From all appearances these are an apples-to-apples, fair comparison.

Model S P100D: Quickest Production Car. Ever.

I think that's a truly incredible feat in just the fifth year of Model S production. I am looking forward to the next record falling.:)
The car is amazing. Obviously i think so and believe in it. I own the stock and a P100d. No need to tell me on Tesla accomplishments.
And I wouldn't say this to a crowd of random people, just Tesla people cause that's why were here.
The car was given to motor trend in a condition not available to the public. there isn't a person on the planet that owns a p100d in that config, nor can you buy one like tht. That's my point. it is a p100d, the #s are real but they def modified the setup for effect and record setting.

• Disagree
Reactions: AWDtsla and Pezpunk
The car is amazing. Obviously i think so and believe in it. I own the stock and a P100d. No need to tell me on Tesla accomplishments.
And I wouldn't say this to a crowd of random people, just Tesla people cause that's why were here.
The car was given to motor trend in a condition not available to the public. there isn't a person on the planet that owns a p100d in that config, nor can you buy one like tht. That's my point. it is a p100d, the #s are real but they def modified the setup for effect and record setting.

Besides the Arachnid wheels, what is different about the P100D that they tested? And haven't some people gotten their Arachnid wheels, so there could be someone else on the planet with a P100D sporting Arachnids.

Reactions: Pezpunk and EinSV
uh oh looks like this got someone's attention

upload_2017-2-10_14-53-44.png

Last edited:
Besides the Arachnid wheels, what is different about the P100D that they tested? And haven't some people gotten their Arachnid wheels, so there could be someone else on the planet with a P100D sporting Arachnids.
but those people would also have to have cloth seats, steel roof, no premium upgrade, base radio, no jump seats.
Even then I'd suspect that would not get you to the weight they tested at. my suspicion would be that they do not have air suspension in that car and probably the smaller sway bars.

but those people would also have to have cloth seats, steel roof, no premium upgrade, base radio, no jump seats.
Even then I'd suspect that would not get you to the weight they tested at. my suspicion would be that they do not have air suspension in that car and probably the smaller sway bars.

ok so now you're straight up making stuff up because you're so convinced they're being underhanded.

they probably tested it downhill both ways and hacked the data too, why not? as long as we're just brainstorming ways they could have cheated.

maybe they filled the cabin with helium to make it lighter.

Last edited:
MT's 0-60 numbers have always been extremely difficult to replicate in the real world, especially on drag strips.

However their numbers are relevant when comparing different cars performance... which is really what this latest MT P100D article was really saying. Tesla's P100D "super sedan" is an astounding engineering achievement, especially for the price... and it gets 85 mpgE and can seat 5 adults.

AMAZING

Reactions: MP3Mike
ok so now you're straight up making stuff up because you're so convinced they're being underhanded.

they probably tested it downhill both ways and hacked the data too, why not? as long as we're just brainstorming ways they could have cheated.

maybe they filled the cabin with helium to make it lighter.

I said I suspected. I didn't make anything up, you're just lying now.
It's an undisputed fact that you cannot order the car in the config that was tested. I find it telling that when I point this FACT out, people say 'other than the wheels...' as if somehow I have to prove something else. You don't get to excuse your own caveats and then ask me to provide additional evidence. The proof of my statement is a known fact. The wheels aren't available on the order page at time the car was tested. This proves that the car was setup for motor trend specifically for a good 0-60. That is my point. Nothing more or less.
The weight of the vehicle was published, if we are to assume that is fact, and I see no reason not to, then we are simply arguing a math problem. One which I said I 'suspected' you can't solve with available options. Maybe you can. I just said I suspected you can't. My logic is that if I were Tesla, I'd probably have done the same. I am in the automotive industry. Things are this are the norm, not the exception.

Reactions: Cowby
I said I suspected. I didn't make anything up, you're just lying now.
It's an undisputed fact that you cannot order the car in the config that was tested. I find it telling that when I point this FACT out, people say 'other than the wheels...' as if somehow I have to prove something else. You don't get to excuse your own caveats and then ask me to provide additional evidence. The proof of my statement is a known fact. The wheels aren't available on the order page at time the car was tested. This proves that the car was setup for motor trend specifically for a good 0-60. That is my point. Nothing more or less.
The weight of the vehicle was published, if we are to assume that is fact, and I see no reason not to, then we are simply arguing a math problem. One which I said I 'suspected' you can't solve with available options. Maybe you can. I just said I suspected you can't. My logic is that if I were Tesla, I'd probably have done the same. I am in the automotive industry. Things are this are the norm, not the exception.

They should have bought the car through an anonymous buyer. Anything less leaves plenty of doubt.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pezpunk
you're both being completely absurd. why should Tesla have to play by special rules? Neither Motor Trend nor Tesla did anything differently from how Motor Trend typically does their testing.

Are you serious? Allowing Tesla to give a car to Motortrend to test is not playing by "special rules"? What part of anonymous purchase do you think makes this test LESS objective? Why do you think consumer reports insists that is the only way that acquire test articles?

Are you serious? Allowing Tesla to give a car to Motortrend to test is not playing by "special rules"? What part of anonymous purchase do you think makes this test LESS objective? Why do you think consumer reports insists that is the only way that acquire test articles?

Motor Trend always works with manufacturers to get good numbers. that's how they operate. That's why their numbers mean something in relation to their other tests. It would render the test meaningless if they treated Tesla differently than they do other manufacturers.