Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D mph charging rate with the included 32 amp cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me explain a little further: I just traded in a Model S 85 D two weeks ago for a Model S P100D. With a 40 amp cable the 85D charged at 30 mph under the same conditions, my new P100D charges at 27-28 mph with the 40 amp cable.

Are you using the same connector? All 85's came with the 50amp rated, 40 amp supplying connector. (Gen 1) I believe that all Teslas are now shipping with the 50 amp rated, 32 amp supplying connector....8 amps less (Gen 2). Gen 1 adapters that have no length of cord attached to them. Gen 2 adapters have a short length of cord attached to them, just FYI a way to differentiate.

i charge at 40 amps and got 24 mph on the X P100D last night

Here is the Tesla charging rate chart. According to the chart your Model X is charging one mph below spec. My Model S is charging 1-2 mph below spec.

Attachments

• Tesla Charging Rates.PNG
    Tesla Charging Rates.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 98
Are you using the same connector? All 85's came with the 50amp rated, 40 amp supplying connector. (Gen 1) I believe that all Teslas are now shipping with the 50 amp rated, 32 amp supplying connector....8 amps less (Gen 2). Gen 1 adapters that have no length of cord attached to them. Gen 2 adapters have a short length of cord attached to them, just FYI a way to differentiate.

Yes, mine is rated the same.

Here is the Tesla charging rate chart. According to the chart your Model X is charging one mph below spec. My Model S is charging 1-2 mph below spec.

Again.

The “spec” is an estimate based on reference voltage and an average across all sub models, which have varying consumption based on weight/performance. If you’re within 1-2 miles of this estimate, everything is working exactly as designed.

Miles per hour are affected by the following:
  1. Current at which you are charging (Amps)
  2. Voltage one you are charging at full current (don't just use voltage when you just plugged in)
  3. The rated efficiency of the car (Wh/mile). More efficient cars get more rated miles per hour for the same charge rate.
  4. Any other draw, such as HVAC while charging - if you are sitting in a car with heat on, your mph will drop because 1-2KW are going towards the HVAC and car being on. Headlight being ON also adds drain, as do heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. If cold soaked battery, battery also has a heater.

Miles per hour are affected by the following:
  1. Current at which you are charging (Amp)
  2. Voltage one you are charging at full current (don't just use voltage when you just plugged in)
  3. The rated efficiency of the car (Wh/mile). More efficient cars get more rated miles per hour for the same charge rate.
  4. Any other draw, such as HVAC while charging - if you are sitting in a car with heat on, your mph will drop because 1-2KW are going towards the HVAC and car being on. Headlight being ON also adds drain, as do heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. If cold soaked battery, battery also has a heater.
I am charging under ideal conditions, no power drains, car is off and locked.

Let me explain a little further: I just traded in a Model S 85 D two weeks ago for a Model S P100D. With a 40 amp cable the 85D charged at 30 mph under the same conditions, my new P100D charges at 27-28 mph with the 40 amp cable.
P's are rated less efficient than non-P models. For example look at the Tesla design center - P100D rated range is 315 miles on a full charge. S100D is rated at 335 miles on the very same amount of charge (same battery). So, if your charge rate shows 27mph , if your car was an S100D it would show 29 mph at the very same charge rate. Another way to look at it, if driven at rated efficiency, P100D will drive 27 miles on the same amount of charge as S100D would drive 29 miles (28.7 actually, but the car doesn't show decimals).

Hello fellow model S P100D and 100D owners with with newer 32 amp charging cable. The Tesla Charging Chart says: The supplied 32 amp cable will give a 23 mph charging rate when plugged into a NEMA 14-50 240V outlet. I am getting 21 mph or at best 22 mph charging rate. I would like to know what mph charging rate other Model S owners are getting with this new lower amperage 32 amp charging cable?

If your model S P100D or 100D came with a 40 amp charging cable, I would like to know the mph charging rate your getting with the 40 amp cable as well. The Tesla Charging Chart says: The supplied 40 amp cable will give a 29 mph charging rate when plugged into a NEMA 14-50 240V outlet. Thanks

That is a totally normal charging rate for your car with the Gen 2 UMC. You might want to consider getting a Tesla Wall Connector or a Gen 1 UMC if you need faster home charging. The numbers Tesla gives for charging rates are approximations. You can/should expect real world rates to vary by a few miles an hour.

I recently traded in a 2015 85D for a 2018 100D. The 85D with the old UMC would charge at 29-30 mph on a 50 amp circuit. The 100 D with he new 32 amp UMC charges at 23 mph.

My new S P100D charges at 21-22 mph with "new" lower output 32 amp cable included with the car, your P100D is charging at spec. Mine is charging below spec @ 21-22.
With a 40 amp cable my S P100D charges at 27-28 mph. Should be 29-30.

My old S 85D charges at 29-30 mph with the included 40 amp cable. Same as your 85D.

I think there is a deficiency with my S P100D`s inboard charger. Because it is charging at 21-22 mph which is below your S P100D, which charges at 23 mph with the 32 amp cable. This has helped to answer my question. Thank you

Attachments

• Tesla Charging Rates.PNG
    Tesla Charging Rates.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
My new S P100D charges at 21-22 mph with "new" lower output 32 amp cable included with the car, your P100D is charging at spec. Mine is charging below spec @ 21-22.

My old S 85D charges at 29-30 mph with the included 40 amp cable. Same as your 85D.

I think there is a deficiency with my S P100D`s inboard charger. Because it is charging at 21-22 mph which is below your S P100D, which charges at 23 mph with the 32 amp cable. This has helped to answer my question. Thank you

P100D != 100D

Nothing is wrong with your car. Give it a rest.

He said 100D, not P100D. I admire your persistence though. Jesus.

100D 335 miles rated range / 23 miles of charge per hour = 14.5 hours to fill the 100kwh battery.

P100D 315 miles rated range / 21.5 miles of charge per hour = 14.5 hours to fill the 100kwh battery.

Since the charger is the same, the input voltage is the same, and the battery is the same... your car is charging at an identical rate to the 100D - but you can travel fewer miles on the same amount of power because your “performance” model uses more juice per mile.

Tesla didn’t give you a “23 mph charger”. They gave you a 7.7kw charger, which is charging your car at 7.7kw. That just happens to be about 21.5 miles per hour for your SPECIFIC MODEL.

I admire your persistence though. Jesus.

HA HA that made me LOL.

I remember having a similar conversation with another Tesla owner about the MPH charge rate of his 2015 MS 85D vs. my 2015 MS P85D. The "P" is for Performance which is from the much larger rear motor... that is less efficient per mile than the otherwise identical NON-Performance 85D. I know my P85D is less efficient than the 85D but IMHO the WOOHOO factor of the amazing Performance of our P85D is worth every additional electron it consumes. :cool:

Charge rate per mile isn't a problem on our 2015 MS P85D since it has dual 40A chargers powered via a 1st generation Tesla High Power Wall Charger ("HPWC") on a 100A 240V single phase circuit. At 80A it will charge at ~ 51 MPH but we set our nightly charge rate at 60A (~ 42 MPH) to keep the HPWC cable and connector cooler. This also only runs the dual 40A chargers at 75% of their capacity which hopefully will make them last longer.

Reactions: audiofan and GSP
This conversation is like the thread where someone complained that his Model X charged at fewer miles/hr than his Model S. Energy isn’t measured in miles/hr, it’s measured in kWh. Why someone thought his much heavier and less aerodynamic Model X should get the same “mileage” as his Model S is beyond me.

More to the point of the OP, another explanation could be that a voltage drop can cause charging a mile/hr less. What V are you charging at? It could also be a fraction of a mile less and it’s rounded to the nearest mile.

I fully understand that the Model X, Model S and Model 3 all charge at different MPH rates for the same amount of current, because of weight and drag coefficient differences.

Ok, thanks to those for explaining the differences between the performance and the standard model S charging rates, I totally ignored the 330 range vs 315 range. I should have been able to figure it out myself.

Last edited:
Don’t all new Tesla Models S/X come with a 72A onboard charger (mine is max 40A)?

Why gimp the UMC down to 32A? Another example of applying lesser-capacity, make-do 3 parts to the flagship model?

Were there issues with the 1st gen getting too hot supplying 40A for several hours at a time?

Or is it just a strategy to sell more HPWC installations across the board?