Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S p100d repeatedly has no power / stopping during driving "battery charge level too low"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My April 2019 P100d repeatedly has no power and stops suddenly when I'm driving.

I kept telling Service that the battery / power wasn't working right on the car. Within a few days of receiving the car, it had power / battery issues. And they either ignored me, or simply said they tested it and everything is fine.

Sept 11 2020, the car suddenly lost power when I was in the carpool lane on a huge fast moving freeway at night.

Tesla replaced the entire battery under warranty.

Now it's back in service for losing power / suddenly stopping with this message "battery charge level too low".

I had about 30% battery left. Then it flashed it had 0%, then 30%.

Sept 11th, my family almost got killed on the freeway.

On this last sudden shut down, I was in middle of a highway. CHP police responded. Then a semi hit a young lady's car.

I'm frustrated that Service does not take my comments / feedback seriously. I really want to lemon the car, or get it traded in - or sell it back to Tesla.

Not too long ago, Service used my p100d as a "wagon" for their tools - throwing dirty stuff and tools into my car. I brought this to the attention of the Service, but they didn't respond. I also tweeted Elon Musk the photo, but he didn't respond.

Does anyone have a way for me to contact Elon directly?

I also worry that the moment any kind of warranty runs out, it'll just completely break down.

Reactions: Hamen
I just saw this post and wonder why no activity? OP has been here almost 2 years so seems like quite the long con just to post FUD. I’ll give him the benefit of doubt for the time being.

OP: please file a complaint with NHTSA with copies of service records, photos and especially the CHP accident report where the semi hit someone else’s car after you stopped in the freeway. There are probably lots of lemon law attorneys in California you could consult as well.

HOWEVER, the biggest thing I get out of OP’s post is how incredibly dangerous it is to stop in the middle of a freeway! For your and everyone else’s sakes, please don’t hit the brakes and use whatever momentum you have to coast to the closest shoulder. The life you save may be your own. Or a kid several cars behind you in the back of a minivan. Or a responding CHP officer. Or a tow truck driver.

ICE vehicles run out of gas or otherwise lose power everyday on freeways but (almost) no one stops in high-speed traffic lanes. Please don’t be “that guy” who leads to death (… and gives EVs a bad name.)

Reactions: Chaserr and croman
I had a HV short and despite 13 or more serious errors, my car kept going until I safely pulled over and then wouldn't allow operation of any gear.

I don't think this is FUD but I do question how Tesla couldn't easily see logs indication the errors.

Also all owners know that battery is covered 8 years unlimited miles for S cars before 2019. Warranty isn't going anywhere.

This is happening to me right now. Low battery warning then car won’t start. I have a ‘20 X. The soonest I could get a service appt is 3/23. It’s been broke down since March 1. What happened to you is my exact fear. What if I were with my family on the Interstate??
I’ll post more when it goes into service. I’m in Jax FL

I just saw this post and wonder why no activity? OP has been here almost 2 years so seems like quite the long con just to post FUD. I’ll give him the benefit of doubt for the time being.

OP: please file a complaint with NHTSA with copies of service records, photos and especially the CHP accident report where the semi hit someone else’s car after you stopped in the freeway. There are probably lots of lemon law attorneys in California you could consult as well.

HOWEVER, the biggest thing I get out of OP’s post is how incredibly dangerous it is to stop in the middle of a freeway! For your and everyone else’s sakes, please don’t hit the brakes and use whatever momentum you have to coast to the closest shoulder. The life you save may be your own. Or a kid several cars behind you in the back of a minivan. Or a responding CHP officer. Or a tow truck driver.

ICE vehicles run out of gas or otherwise lose power everyday on freeways but (almost) no one stops in high-speed traffic lanes. Please don’t be “that guy” who leads to death (… and gives EVs a bad name.)
Stopping at the middle of a freeway because of no gas is not immediate and the driver knows (unless he is a I****). However battery cars stopping suddenly with range is horrible. I would blame Tesla for not developing proper tools and methods to detect battery failures, especially when there is a compliant about such incidents. They should be replacing battery and electronics associate with such an incident, the cost saving crap has too gone long with this company !!!.