Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D Spoiler Clearcoat/Coating coming off - Warranty Service Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a strange issue with the clear coat/coating of the spoiler of my car coming off within less than a year of ownership.

Has anyone had issues with the carbon fiber spoiler clear coat coming off? Most importantly, have you been able to get this fixed under warranty?

I've been going back and forth with Service all day today about whether this defect is covered by the warranty. They initially claimed the spoiler is a wear and tear item (o_O!) but now have agreed to look at the spoiler to determine if the clear coat coming off is "wear and tear." I honestly see nothing in the spoiler that is wear and tear. There is do damage or impact and it just looks like there is an issue with the adhesion of the coating due to a materials and workmanship issue that should be covered under warranty.

I have enclosed a photo of the issue and what I'm concerned is that this will get worse over time.

I'm having Paint Protection Film installed so I'd rather not put the spoiler looking like this on the car because it would be tough to remove it from the paint protection film.

I appreciate any experience or advice anyone can offer.

The car spends 95% of the time locked in my garage and the car has barely 6,000 miles. I'm honestly surprised of any suggestion that this is "normal" wear and tear.

20191021_145123 (1).jpg

I bought my 2014 P85+ used and the spoiler looked much worse than that. Kevlar wire, $150 and new Real CF match from RPM tesla. Tesla refused to fix it under warranty for my used car which is under warranty. Consider wear and tear. YMMV

So I tossed the $1200 lip spoiler in the trash and went RPM. Looks OEM

I bought my 2014 P85+ used and the spoiler looked much worse than that. Kevlar wire, $150 and new Real CF match from RPM tesla. Tesla refused to fix it under warranty for my used car which is under warranty. Consider wear and tear. YMMV

So I tossed the $1200 lip spoiler in the trash and went RPM. Looks OEM

That's an interesting solution but I really prefer keeping the car "stock" as much as possible.

I just can't understand how this is not a materials/workmanship issue that should be covered under the warranty.

Under normal use, it does not seem right for a Model S to start shedding the clear-coat/coating of the carbon fiber spoiler with less than a year of ownership. It seems like an obvious defect.

Has anyone else had this issue and managed to fix it by reapplying whatever coating is coming off?

That actually doesn’t look like clear coat, it looks like the resin that holds the carbon fiber weaves together. It reminds me of when my hockey sticks would get really beat up. If you think about it that way it sounds more like a workmanship defect under warranty. When you think clear coat, it’s like claiming a big chip in your paint should be covered under warranty...

That actually doesn’t look like clear coat, it looks like the resin that holds the carbon fiber weaves together. It reminds me of when my hockey sticks would get really beat up. If you think about it that way it sounds more like a workmanship defect under warranty. When you think clear coat, it’s like claiming a big chip in your paint should be covered under warranty...

So this is helpful.

Let me tell them what is coming off is the resin that holds the carbon fiber together.

This is clearly a case where there is a defect with the carbon fiber spoiler and I'm worried this will only get worse.

A customer who has not even had the car for a year shouldn't have to argue about this stuff for a resolution :(

Reactions: Lhshockey24
That looks like a very obvious failure of the part where pieces of the top layer are flaking off.

I would press them to replace the spoiler under warranty and don;t accept no for an answer, especially since your car is less than a year old. How many miles do you have?

If they refuse, file for arbitration and it should be pretty easy to prove that this is a "materials and workmanship" defect with that photo. I see nothing wrong with the paint surrounding the spoiler so obviously there was a manufacturing defect that just affected the spoiler.

It's a shame they would put you in a position to even think about filing for arbitration because your lP100D was shipped with a defective spoiler. If they leave you no choice but to go the arbitration route. by the time they pay for arbitration plus the cost of the spoiler, I honestly don't know what they were trying to save here other than make life miserable for everyone.

That looks like a very obvious failure of the part where pieces of the top layer are flaking off.

I would press them to replace the spoiler under warranty and don;t accept no for an answer, especially since your car is less than a year old. How many miles do you have?

If they refuse, file for arbitration and it should be pretty easy to prove that this is a "materials and workmanship" defect with that photo. I see nothing wrong with the paint surrounding the spoiler so obviously there was a manufacturing defect that just affected the spoiler.

It's a shame they would put you in a position to even think about filing for arbitration because your lP100D was shipped with a defective spoiler. If they leave you no choice but to go the arbitration route. by the time they pay for arbitration plus the cost of the spoiler, I honestly don't know what they were trying to save here other than make life miserable for everyone.

I have slightly over 6,000 miles and I've had the car for less than a year.

Has anyone else had issues with layers of their spoiler peeling away within months of delivery?

I hope they resolve this next week with a warranty replacement of the defective spoiler or some other reasonable solution like fixing the layers that have come off.

Mine is also fading but it’s 3 years old and a Chinese knock off. I had my car wrapped recently and the installer (Colbern’s detailing in Ventura) was frustrated with how it looked so he buffed/polished it and then wrapped it too. It look new again and hopefully will stop the fade from coming back. I can take a pic and post if you like.

That's an interesting solution but I really prefer keeping the car "stock" as much as possible.

I just can't understand how this is not a materials/workmanship issue that should be covered under the warranty.

Under normal use, it does not seem right for a Model S to start shedding the clear-coat/coating of the carbon fiber spoiler with less than a year of ownership. It seems like an obvious defect.

Has anyone else had this issue and managed to fix it by reapplying whatever coating is coming off?

Agree shouldn’t look like this in less than 1 year
Honestly the non OEM replacements look feel just like OEM. Super easy removal and install process. Just use Goof-off and wipe slowly to clean up the residual adhesive. It helps if you have a heat gun but not needed. Install takes just minutes

Agree shouldn’t look like this in less than 1 year
Honestly the non OEM replacements look feel just like OEM. Super easy removal and install process. Just use Goof-off and wipe slowly to clean up the residual adhesive. It helps if you have a heat gun but not needed. Install takes just minutes

Thanks for the option!

I still think a less than a year old P100D should not have the spoiler resin coming off with barely 6,000 miles under much less than normal use where the car spends most of the time in a locked garage and I drive barely 500 miles a month. The fact that not many are having this issue also seems to indicate that I somehow ended up with a defective spoiler that was not made properly.

My spoiler has some.of this happening but is a 90k mile 2014 that spends most of the time outdoors and started life in New Mexico now near Green Bay so has seen some.weather extremes.

I wonder if the spoiler can be sanded and spray painted with a clear coat at a body shop. Is that possible?

The reason I strongly feel this is a materials/workmanship issue is because it seems the spoiler essentially came with a defective coating for the resin to come off just months into ownership with very light use. This would be like if the paint started to bubble and come off months into ownership under normal use.

Total BS. This is the new Tesla solution for warranty costs, call everything, "cosmetic or wear and tear". Tell them to fix it or you will file for arbitration. If they don't fix it file, it's easy, and they will loose, and have to fix it in 30 days.

I'm hoping they will be reasonable and do the right thing to replace the defective spoiler with the resin coming apart after just months of ownership.

Unfortunately I think “just say no and see who persists” is the new cost containment strategy. Appears to be successful based on recent earnings? That’s unfortunate as it reinforces the bad behavior.

They initially said the spoiler is a "wear and tear" item and the resin that holds the carbon fiber together failing is not covered by the warranty in a car just months old. Then they said they would get back to me and I'm still waiting to hear back.

Hopefully they will take a look at this, realize this a manufacturing defect, and do the right thing.

Not a Model S spoiler, but I have a Model X which was delivered new in Jan 2019. The drivers mirror is showing primer because the top coat apparently was sprayed too thin. Put it off until now (9 months) but getting clear wrap and tried to get the mirror cap with the thin paint replaced under warranty. Cherry Hill service told me paint issues must be claimed within 30 days of delivery to be covered under warranty. Wish they told me that at delivery. Never had a $100k+ car with such a “thin” warranty!