Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P85 "Swap" for AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, let me start by saying that still we la-la-la-love our 2014 P85!! Purchased as a (barely) CPO in January of this year. We refer to it as our puppy - everywhere we go people walk up to us and want to "pet" it! Our only regret is that we did not pop for the D, the AWD option. Currently mulling over selling/trading to purchase another CPO with this option.

Here's my question.....looking at the ev-cpo site and see that there is currently a 90D listed on there. Listing says that it has "Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features." However.....it also says that it does NOT have parking sensors???? How can that be? Doesn't the car have to have sensors all around it to be able to have the autopilot? Wouldn't autopilot include the summon parking feature and necessitate parking sensors?? For our personal situation, the autopilot is NOT a required feature, but the parking sensors are a must (our garage is fairly tight).

Hoping that there's someone who can educate us in For Dummies lingo :)
Thanks!

Parking sensors became a standard option before the 90D, so you're set. If it has AP, then for sure it has parking sensors. The only cars without parking sensors are mid-2013 cars and earlier, or later cars without the Tech package. My July '13 P85+ did not have the sensors, but I think August '13 cars did (same with folding mirrors). Then when Tesla introduced AP1, it was rolled together with the Tech Package (which then included the sensors)... and every car since then has parking sensors.

I wouldn't worry about the "PK00 LEGACY No Parking Sensors" option code. It's an old (legacy) code that's included probably since back when Parking Sensors were a separate option, and not included in the Tech Package.

• Informative
Reactions: thegooch49
Parking sensors became a standard option before the 90D, so you're set. If it has AP, then for sure it has parking sensors. The only cars without parking sensors are mid-2013 cars and earlier, or later cars without the Tech package. My July '13 P85+ did not have the sensors, but I think August '13 cars did (same with folding mirrors). Then when Tesla introduced AP1, it was rolled together with the Tech Package (which then included the sensors)... and every car since then has parking sensors.

I wouldn't worry about the "PK00 LEGACY No Parking Sensors" option code. It's an old (legacy) code that's included probably since back when Parking Sensors were a separate option, and not included in the Tech Package.
Correct, except folding mirrors came in late October or early November 2013. I had one of the first ones (retrofitted at factory after production completed).

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Just a quick follow up to initial post -

Reached out to "local" Tesla to inquire about possibly replacing our awesome, amazing cpo MS with similar to include AWD. Inquired about trade as we have only had our vehicle 11 months. They knocked it down almost $30k from our original purchase price! We thought that they would have been a little more generous in this area as we are looking at purchasing TWO more vehicles from them (we also have a M3 on order)? Those two vehicle sales would potentially total around $150k. So they're looking to "keep" $30k on our first transaction AND make bank on two more sales?

Guess we were delusional.......what were we thinking?!? :)

The formula, unless it has changed, was $1000 per month plus $1 per mile. Did you put 19000 miles on it?
That was a formula for sales floor discount on inventory cars back in 2013. For one, it may no longer be a valid formula, and second and most importantly this could never be extrapolated beyond a year or so and few thousand miles. Consider this 2014 S60, 41K miles, 3 years old, so discount of ~$77K meaning this car should be free, right? Or do you think this S60 retailed at $128K? ;)

Tesla offers Tesla trade-in values $10K+ below what they think they can sell it at. They don't usually do the math of traditional dealers where they consider the profit on the new car to provide artificially inflated trade-in values. For non-Tesla cars, Tesla offers wholesale value, which leaves room for someone to buy it and auction it to a retail dealership for a profit. If it wasn't for tax credit, I would never trade in a car to Tesla when buying one (hence I didn't on the first two purchases when Tesla's were sales tax exempt in my state).

Last edited:
Thanks for the education on the trade in process. When we purchased our MS, we had 2 non-Tesla vehicles which we sold via private party (we went from 2 cars down to one). We really thought that they would be more lenient when dealing with a Tesla-to-Tesla transaction. Our error. Guess we will need to investigate how/where people sell their Teslas before considering moving forward on a new one. Is there somewhere besides Craigslist/eBay that we should be checking out?

All dealers will seem like low-ball offers (due to the reasons described above) compared with what you could get at a private sale (selling as-is). I think Tesla ships cars around a bit for the CPO process also, I don't think every SC performs the inspection and refresh that is done.