Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, you guys have more experience than me with Tesla. I have found this Model S and I'd like to have your opinion: Model S 2014, 152k miles, considering that:
- Battery has been just replaced and has 4 years warranty.
- Lifetime supercharging transferable
- Lifetime premium connectivity

Seller is asking 40k.

I was thinking that if a battery was replaced by Tesla under warranty, it is warranted for the remainder of the 8 year warranty, or 90 days, whichever is longer.

"Repaired or Replaced Parts
Any Parts or Used Parts repaired or replaced under this Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited
Warranty continue to be covered by the applicable original warranty period of the repaired or
replaced Part or Used Part (mentioned above in "Coverage Period") or for a period of 90 days,
whichever is longer."

If the owner bought a battery from Tesla out of warranty, it is covered for 4 years, 50K miles.

"Coverage Period - Parts
This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the Part(s)’ purchase date and
provides coverage for the period of 12 months or 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes first,
with the exception that specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods as
outlined in the table below:

Sheet Metal Limited Lifetime
Drive Unit* 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first
Vehicle High Voltage Battery* 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first"

I was told it was just replaced and it has an additional 4 years.

My doubt is, if the battery is new, the 150k miles shouldn’t matter much?
Someone telling you something to sell you a car is called puffing, and will never hold true over the written warranty. Another thing is if the battery were replaced under warranty, it is not a new battery, but a remanufactured used battery that Tesla has removed form another Tesla that failed, and that most closely fits the age, energy, and performance of the battery it is replacing. Being remanufactured, it won't last any longer than the battery it replaced, assuming it hadn't failed. You should inform yourself of the item you are buying. May still be a great deal, but don't be assured by someone giving you perhaps incorrect information.

That's not a terrible deal but like everyone else has mentioned, do not take the seller's word for it, Trust, but verify. Ask for the VIN and call Tesla for a full history on all performed service and the warranty status (General and Extended, if any). If the MCU2 upgrade has not been done, then consider that something you will want to do relatively soon. With that in mind and the fact that Tesla DOES NOT replace batteries under warranty with new batteries, you may be able to negotiate a bit... especially if the VIN reveals anything else. Good hunting!

Someone telling you something to sell you a car is called puffing, and will never hold true over the written warranty. Another thing is if the battery were replaced under warranty, it is not a new battery, but a remanufactured used battery that Tesla has removed form another Tesla that failed, and that most closely fits the age, energy, and performance of the battery it is replacing. Being remanufactured, it won't last any longer than the battery it replaced, assuming it hadn't failed. You should inform yourself of the item you are buying. May still be a great deal, but don't be assured by someone giving you perhaps incorrect information.
I am informing myself, I would ask proper documentation and more when we are at that point. I was just wondering if it is a "good deal" considering the mileage, if the battery has been replaced.
I am new to EV so I am not aware how a car can age with mileage.

Reactions: DerbyDave
That's not a terrible deal but like everyone else has mentioned, do not take the seller's word for it, Trust, but verify. Ask for the VIN and call Tesla for a full history on all performed service and the warranty status (General and Extended, if any). If the MCU2 upgrade has not been done, then consider that something you will want to do relatively soon. With that in mind and the fact that Tesla DOES NOT replace batteries under warranty with new batteries, you may be able to negotiate a bit... especially if the VIN reveals anything else. Good hunting!
fyi tesla will NOT give you a full history of anything regardless of vin/request or even if you currently owned the car. Unless thats changed recently. They treat prior repair history like medical records, its quite stupid.

fyi tesla will NOT give you a full history of anything regardless of vin/request or even if you currently owned the car. Unless thats changed recently. They treat prior repair history like medical records, its quite stupid.
I guess it depends on the Tesla Service Center that you contact. I was able to find out all the service history on my MS before I purchased it back in April when I called the TSC in Tampa. They answered all the questions I asked them - battery, drive unit, sunroof, door handles, headlights, suspension and a/c compressor. Now they would not offer up any info that I did t ask about until I had the car linked in my app but I was ok with making the purchase based on what I found out.

I guess it depends on the Tesla Service Center that you contact. I was able to find out all the service history on my MS before I purchased it back in April when I called the TSC in Tampa. They answered all the questions I asked them - battery, drive unit, sunroof, door handles, headlights, suspension and a/c compressor. Now they would not offer up any info that I did t ask about until I had the car linked in my app but I was ok with making the purchase based on what I found out.
fascinating. for as long as i can remember around here, regardless of ownership status or length, tesla will tell you nothing