Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P85D lower and lower range for 3 - years - WARRANTY ENDING SOON - what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 P85D has a working battery, but the range sucks. I typically get about 120 miles from full ("230 miles") before I am at 15% battery. Even when my grandpa who is almost 80 drives it, he gets about 130 miles max.

We can basically only go 50-60 miles one way before we have to turn around and head home to charge for 9 hours. SO FRUSTRATING! I feel like it's a Nissan leaf.

We have reported this to Tesla many times over the past 3 years, they keep saying the battery pack is fine! Every time they just say they diagnosed the stats remotely and it's fine. Local service center is just as useless and unhelpful - they don't even really look into it at all, they just say it's fine every time and try to dismiss my issue, and tell me to drive slower. I mean, grandpa doesn't drive fast (even though it's the Performance version we paid extra for).

The supercharger also takes longer than it used to - about 1 h 30 minutes on my car to fill up to 90%, 2 h if I leave it plugged in to 100%, it actually never reaches 100% it stays at 97-98% and just stays there for ages. I only fill to 85% typically to preserve the battery pack.

MY QUESTION IS THIS:
Is the battery deteriorating? And as the car is still under warranty for a few more months, can I do ANYTHING while it's under warranty to get Tesla to cover a battery fix and/or upgrade, in order to use my warranty while I still have it?
I'm worried that when the warranty ends soon, it will die, and I'll have to pay $25,000 or so, and may not even have better range than now.

A friend I know went into Tesla with a battery range issue on his p85d, not only did they tell him the battery died while it was there and gave him an entirely new pack for FREE, but they even upgraded it to a P90d and did the software update that updated the graphics on the screen as well. Any way to get that to happen?

Or if nothing at all gets done under warranty (the most likely outcome given tesla customer care and assistance to date), should I send it to an aftermarket shop for a fix or upgrade after the warranty ends? Could an aftermarket shop even do anything to help my range?

Have others shorted the battery or done anything to get a tesla replacement under warranty? Not going to do anything unethical, but just curious what has happened if the battery suddenly dies - wondering if they will actually honor the warranty?

It's INCREDIBLY frustrating to have been reporting this for 3+ years, and have double the supercharger time to get to 85%. I feel like I spend one minute sitting at a supercharger for every 2 minutes of driving. It makes the car feel like a burden, rather than like a real functional car that makes transportation easier.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and Maaz
The slow supercharging is “by design” and affects basically all 85kwh batteries. Tesla will do nothing to fix this as they’re the ones that caused it.

Your car reports 230 range miles available at 100% which is pretty normal for your vintage car.

What wh/mi does the car report on these trips where you go 120 miles but use 230 miles of range? Is this all in a single long drive or are you getting 120 miles from a full battery over multiple days/trips?

As I said in response to your other posts, Tesla isn’t gonna give you a new battery based on what you report. There’s little/nothing you can do to change that.

Following as I am in a similar predicament with a upcoming warranty expiration on my late 2014 P85+ where full charge says 245, but I can only get 180 with 2% left with light driving. Any heavy driving and I’m down to 120. I have not taken it to the service center for it yet, but would appreciate any insight as to how to get them to look at or acknowledge my issue.

The following is from personal experience:
Get TMSpy or ScanMyTesla app and the appropriate dongles and cables - this requires a bit of research, (about 15 minutes), and hopefully you are motivated.
Run one of these scanning apps and get the data on your battery... you will be able to clearly see the amount of degradation and other issues
In my case, I had a similar experience to yours and I assumed I was a part of "batterygate" (google it too if you need to)... what I found was that I had one module that wasn't functioning correctly. I took that data to Tesla, they interrogated the battery properly (knowing that I had info already), and they concluded that the car needed a new battery.
Don't just assume you have normal degradation or are a part of the latest Tesla scandal (batterygate, chargegate, etc...).. Go get the data and at worse, you can track the data over time

The following is from personal experience:
Get TMSpy or ScanMyTesla app and the appropriate dongles and cables - this requires a bit of research, (about 15 minutes), and hopefully you are motivated.
Run one of these scanning apps and get the data on your battery... you will be able to clearly see the amount of degradation and other issues
In my case, I had a similar experience to yours and I assumed I was a part of "batterygate" (google it too if you need to)... what I found was that I had one module that wasn't functioning correctly. I took that data to Tesla, they interrogated the battery properly (knowing that I had info already), and they concluded that the car needed a new battery.
Don't just assume you have normal degradation or are a part of the latest Tesla scandal (batterygate, chargegate, etc...).. Go get the data and at worse, you can track the data over time
I am looking at doing this? What did you see when you did it? Cell imbalance? Just curious as my Telsa seems to be losing 1 mile of range per 1000 miles recently. Going to try a full cell rebalance soon. Additionally, it is dropping 3% of charge within an hour of a 90% charge, so going from 90-87% right after charging.

I am looking at doing this? What did you see when you did it? Cell imbalance? Just curious as my Telsa seems to be losing 1 mile of range per 1000 miles recently. Going to try a full cell rebalance soon. Additionally, it is dropping 3% of charge within an hour of a 90% charge, so going from 90-87% right after charging.
Your last issue is well known ever since they lowered the threshold for when the battery coolant heater kicks in and stays on. Sweet spot for most of us P85D owners seems to be 75%-80%. 90% is guaranteed to have the coolant heater run for a while, hence the quick drop of 3%.

My 2015 P85D has a working battery, but the range sucks. I typically get about 120 miles from full ("230 miles") before I am at 15% battery. Even when my grandpa who is almost 80 drives it, he gets about 130 miles max.

We can basically only go 50-60 miles one way before we have to turn around and head home to charge for 9 hours. SO FRUSTRATING! I feel like it's a Nissan leaf.

We have reported this to Tesla many times over the past 3 years, they keep saying the battery pack is fine! Every time they just say they diagnosed the stats remotely and it's fine. Local service center is just as useless and unhelpful - they don't even really look into it at all, they just say it's fine every time and try to dismiss my issue, and tell me to drive slower. I mean, grandpa doesn't drive fast (even though it's the Performance version we paid extra for).

The supercharger also takes longer than it used to - about 1 h 30 minutes on my car to fill up to 90%, 2 h if I leave it plugged in to 100%, it actually never reaches 100% it stays at 97-98% and just stays there for ages. I only fill to 85% typically to preserve the battery pack.

MY QUESTION IS THIS:
Is the battery deteriorating? And as the car is still under warranty for a few more months, can I do ANYTHING while it's under warranty to get Tesla to cover a battery fix and/or upgrade, in order to use my warranty while I still have it?
I'm worried that when the warranty ends soon, it will die, and I'll have to pay $25,000 or so, and may not even have better range than now.

A friend I know went into Tesla with a battery range issue on his p85d, not only did they tell him the battery died while it was there and gave him an entirely new pack for FREE, but they even upgraded it to a P90d and did the software update that updated the graphics on the screen as well. Any way to get that to happen?

Or if nothing at all gets done under warranty (the most likely outcome given tesla customer care and assistance to date), should I send it to an aftermarket shop for a fix or upgrade after the warranty ends? Could an aftermarket shop even do anything to help my range?

Have others shorted the battery or done anything to get a tesla replacement under warranty? Not going to do anything unethical, but just curious what has happened if the battery suddenly dies - wondering if they will actually honor the warranty?

It's INCREDIBLY frustrating to have been reporting this for 3+ years, and have double the supercharger time to get to 85%. I feel like I spend one minute sitting at a supercharger for every 2 minutes of driving. It makes the car feel like a burden, rather than like a real functional car that makes transportation easier.
I'm literally in the same situation. We're you able to find a resolution?

Agreed, I'm averaging 315wh/mi on my car overall. That's not quite good enough to average the rated range which comes at 292wh/mi, but it's not too bad. It would be slightly better/lower if I was on 19" wheels. I'd check to ensure your brakes are not partially seized. That can happen on these cars since the brakes are not used very much. Alternatively, using the friction brakes a lot will cause your efficiency to plummet (wh/mi increase) as you're not recovering as much energy back into the battery when you slow down.

Dropping 3% within an hour seems strange. I will lose ~3% in a day, with 1% of that coming off 2 hours after the car finishes charging to 90%.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Still no resolution, and battery warranty runs out in a few months.
I'm getting 100-120 miles per charge. Charging at a supercharger also takes about 1h 45 min from 20% to 95%

I would also recommend SMT and Teslafi apps.

If nothing else, charge to 100% before every drive, drive hard fast and often making full use of FUSC, and hope a module drops out before the warranty expires.

You don’t have a battery problem. You will never get rated range or anywhere close to it at 415 wh/mi. It’s not the battery.

Well, it could be part of the high energy usage is high resistance of a failing pack.

Although hard to test this time of year, consumption of a MS 85D should be exactly 3 Miles per KwH at 80 mph. No wind, level ground, AP1 engaged, no traffic, no climate.