Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P90D delivery story, Genre : Horror........

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all I wish everyone Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :biggrin:

Ordered my Model S at the end of August, the car finished production on 23rd October, took delivery last Friday 18 Dec, less than 4 months in total, an Obsidian Black P90D with ludicrous mode.

Checked everything listed on the forums for flaws, and there was none, everything seemed perfect even the paint. Happily signed all documents and took the car. No weird sound nor any weird behavior, I thought I was lucky, and then....

The first alert popped 10 minutes after I left TML Tower, "Car needs serivce", please call Tesla service, and then a whole bunch of alerts started popping throughout the 5 days of my ownership, Thursday 24 Dec morning the car was towed back to TML tower, although the car was perfectly fine to drive, Tesla service stongly suggested I let them tow the car back, and so I did.

The alerts and problems I had, were:

1. "Car needs service", charge port related problem, the charge port acts up occasionally, sometimes totally locked down, even when cable was plugged in, resulting in locking the cable while it was still attached to the car, but it's not charging.
2. "Automatic Emergency Braking disabled", said to be software related.
3. "Power Reduced", self explanatory.
4. "Front motor disabled", again self explanatory.

It's almost like I bought a first generation Model S, although cosmetic wise the car was almost perfect, I managed to had the car coated with Pompanazzi within the 5 days, even the coating guys said the paint was flawless comparing to older paint jobs, Obsidian black is a newer paint option after all.

The staff of Tesla service were very polite and patient but I think I was even more patient, with all this problems for a brand new car I wasn't even mad, probably because I have read so many horror stories while I was waiting for my car. They were kind enough to offer me a loaner, an older generation P85+, and I immediately felt the difference, here's a few I'd like to point out:

1. Cabin noise is very notable in the P85+, there are wind sounds from the windows.
2. Doors are not as solid as the newer model Ss.
3. P85+ has stiffer suspension yet body roll is rather severe
4. Seats are like a 90s Japanese car in the P85+
5. Materials seemed cheap with the P85+ and the white headliner is reflecting all the lights which is a distraction
6. Without the D, the P85+ doesn't really have the performance to call a P.

Anyways, I am of course disappointed but am not mad, somehow I was expecting the car to have problems, and I'd rather have them all sorted sooner than later. Now everything are unknown until Monday, all I know is I've got a "software has been updated" notification from my app, hopefully that could sort some things out.

Last thing I'd like to point out, the Ultra high quality sound upgrade is not worth it, it is a lot worse than the already mediocre B&O system in my Audi.

Attached a photo taken at the coating shop, please excuse the quality it was taken with a cell phone.

tesla.jpg

Sorry to hear about the bad experience with a brand new car. I start worrying as mine is to be delivered in several months. I was just asked for information for preparing for registration.

The car looks very nice after having Pom on. Hope it got fixed after the holiday.

For what its worth, my just on 1 month old P85D had a door handle problem followed by all your alert you had plus another. Though sorted in 1 day, non the less a PITA to go to the service centre. Welcome to the bleeding edge of technology.

Yes sorry to hear about your experience. I had a very tough experience with my 70D (as you would see from a previous thread) - things are looking ok right now and fingers crossed it stays that way - only gripe now is the charge port which sometimes requires repeated efforts to open.

Tesla really needs to do something about their quality control.

I am now in constant anxiety as to when something else goes wrong.

Sorry to hear that... Hope everything would works fine for you now.

i took delivery of my P85D for a month.. Nothing major so far just some rattling which I decided to live with it

btw I heard a very loud squeaking noise when braking the car especially if I put into standard brake regeneration mode.. Any one has simile experience ?

Thanks guys. The biggest problem I see, is Tesla HK's severely understaff, as well as not enough parking space for cars needed service. I talked to different staff and they mentioned they had to rent nearby buildings just to store the massive amount of cars that's coming back for service, not to mention new cars waiting to be delivered. Going back and forth a street where all big trucks are jammed together, talk about efficiency.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience with a brand new car. I start worrying as mine is to be delivered in several months. I was just asked for information for preparing for registration.

The car looks very nice after having Pom on. Hope it got fixed after the holiday.

Thanks. You don't have to worry much, Tesla is improving their cars silently, no facelifts but they keep putting new things into their cars, I think they actually value customer feedbacks.

For what its worth, my just on 1 month old P85D had a door handle problem followed by all your alert you had plus another. Though sorted in 1 day, non the less a PITA to go to the service centre. Welcome to the bleeding edge of technology.
All alerts fixed in one day? Tesla service told me they needed time just to diagnose thats at least few days.

24 Hour roadside assist told me they would schedule an appointment to bring the car in which NEVER happened. Not even a call back. I decided to just show up at the service centre and force them to deal with it straightaway and that kind of got their attention.

Yes sorry to hear about your experience. I had a very tough experience with my 70D (as you would see from a previous thread) - things are looking ok right now and fingers crossed it stays that way - only gripe now is the charge port which sometimes requires repeated efforts to open.

Tesla really needs to do something about their quality control.

I am now in constant anxiety as to when something else goes wrong.

I have a feeling I'm going to have that anxiety when I get my car back......But then Tesla service are really trying their best to help sort things, one of my incidents was when I parked my car into Hotel Icon, the valet staff parked my car and started charging, where it was impossible to open the charge port before that, but for some reason they managed to opened it and started charging, while I'm having dinner I received more than 100 notifications from my APP telling me charging was interrupted, I called Icon and they can't pull the cable out.....ended up calling a tow car but since it was late and there's no tow car available, Tesla talked to the Hotel and asked them to waive my overnight parking fees. It is troublesome but it's better than letting me hang out to dry.

Sorry to hear that... Hope everything would works fine for you now.

i took delivery of my P85D for a month.. Nothing major so far just some rattling which I decided to live with it

btw I heard a very loud squeaking noise when braking the car especially if I put into standard brake regeneration mode.. Any one has simile experience ?

Have you called Tesla service? You might want to have your problems looked at, maybe it's just brake pad problem?

I've got mine a week ago and spotted some paint/body job issues during pick up. Send it back on 23rd and was told it would take at least one week to repaint it, the staff there was very kind and helpful though. So my case is the opposite, everything is great apart from cosmetic issues, and, the inconvenience of the 21" wheel (well, I guess this is the trade off of the dashing look). They were so busy when I send my car back, I didn't even have a place to park, so I didn't ask for a loaner car. It is now occurs to me that it is quite inconvenient to not having a car for an entire holiday season, and I'm wondering should I go and ask them to give me a loaner.

It seemed to me it really depends on luck when picking up a Tesla....And I actually didn't ask for a loaner, Tesla offered it, their staff mentioned the alerts made the car unsafe to drive and they don't want me to take the risk, maybe because of that.

I've got mine a week ago and spotted some paint/body job issues during pick up. Send it back on 23rd and was told it would take at least one week to repaint it, the staff there was very kind and helpful though. So my case is the opposite, everything is great apart from cosmetic issues, and, the inconvenience of the 21" wheel (well, I guess this is the trade off of the dashing look). They were so busy when I send my car back, I didn't even have a place to park, so I didn't ask for a loaner car. It is now occurs to me that it is quite inconvenient to not having a car for an entire holiday season, and I'm wondering should I go and ask them to give me a loaner.

I have a feeling I'm going to have that anxiety when I get my car back......But then Tesla service are really trying their best to help sort things, one of my incidents was when I parked my car into Hotel Icon, the valet staff parked my car and started charging, where it was impossible to open the charge port before that, but for some reason they managed to opened it and started charging, while I'm having dinner I received more than 100 notifications from my APP telling me charging was interrupted, I called Icon and they can't pull the cable out.....ended up calling a tow car but since it was late and there's no tow car available, Tesla talked to the Hotel and asked them to waive my overnight parking fees. It is troublesome but it's better than letting me hang out to dry.

That's a pretty awful thing that happened at the hotel but a couple of others had the same experience at Hopewell and Science Park superchargers. Glad that things worked out ok

- - - Updated - - -

It seemed to me it really depends on luck when picking up a Tesla....And I actually didn't ask for a loaner, Tesla offered it, their staff mentioned the alerts made the car unsafe to drive and they don't want me to take the risk, maybe because of that.

Oh, they offered you a loaner? You should take it, just for the sake of trying different models.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on all these comments, I think I should not sell my old car until I am pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with my MS. I start to worry.

Touchwood, nothing major happened to my limited edition 60kWh

Based on all these comments, I think I should not sell my old car until I am pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with my MS. I start to worry.

It might be a good idea if you need your car daily.

Oh, they offered you a loaner? You should take it, just for the sake of trying different models.

I did, been driving the loaner for a few days now, both are Model S, yet they are two totally different cars...

It's especially hard to avoid damaging the rim in HK where curbs are everywhere and roads are narrow. ;)

A little update.

Car was delivered back to me today, all the alerts were due to a minor charge port hardware malfunction, which took Tesla service an afternoon to fix. But that hardware was out of stock, so I had to wait 2 weeks.....I actually have the loaner in my possession longer than my own car, how ironic is that?

I think the management of Tesla HK should do something with this unexpectedly high demand, they are severely understaffed, service center is too small to even park the cars that's waiting to be serviced, and their inventory management is also a big let down.

A little update.

Car was delivered back to me today, all the alerts were due to a minor charge port hardware malfunction, which took Tesla service an afternoon to fix. But that hardware was out of stock, so I had to wait 2 weeks.....I actually have the loaner in my possession longer than my own car, how ironic is that?

I think the management of Tesla HK should do something with this unexpectedly high demand, they are severely understaffed, service center is too small to even park the cars that's waiting to be serviced, and their inventory management is also a big let down.

But your car is fixed, it wasn't anything serious and Tesla took care of you in the meantime and gave you a loaner, right? So, it's all good.

A little update.

Good to hear everything is sorted! I just got the loaner, a grey P85, today. I was waiting for it for several days. The very kind staff told me that they wished to give me the loaner much sooner, but they were out of loaner cars and had to wait for the previous customer to return it. They were kind enough to deliver the P85 all the way to my work place near cyberport, so that I could drive back home. Great service.

Good to hear everything is sorted! I just got the loaner, a grey P85, today. I was waiting for it for several days. The very kind staff told me that they wished to give me the loaner much sooner, but they were out of loaner cars and had to wait for the previous customer to return it. They were kind enough to deliver the P85 all the way to my work place near cyberport, so that I could drive back home. Great service.

Did you go to Tsuen Wan?