TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S P90D Road Test coming to MotorWeek January 8th

Discussion in 'News' started by mczajka, Dec 8, 2015.

1. mczajka

mczajka Member

Ed and Carolyn Jordan (Gaithersburg MD), owners of a 2013 Red Tesla Model S P85, drove up to Owings Mills, MD on Friday December 4th to support the Tesla community by letting the producers of MotorWeek use their car in the introductory scene for the 2016 Model S P90D Road Test. The segment will debut January 8th (Episode 3518).

Ed and Carolyn were also treated to a tour of Maryland Public Television's facility, a behind the scenes view of the production, and a chance to meet the host John Davis.

MotorWeek is available on PBS and Velocity on cable/satellite.

Station Listings | MotorWeek

600_444902502.jpe

600_444902499.jpe

600_444902498.jpe

2. CatB

CatB Member

So glad someone was available to help out with that. Thx to Ed and Carolyn :), I'm looking fwd to 1/8/16 broadcast.

3. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Ludicrous? We will get another "official" quarter mile time anyway.

4. mczajka

mczajka Member

5. mczajka

mczajka Member

Quote from a producer...

"Yes it did have the ludicrous speed upgrade and I can say it's aptly named. Keeping the wheel straight is best when testing it out haha. The torque will yank the wheel right out of your hand."

- - - Updated - - -

I had a ride at the Tysons' Corner service center on Sunday, and it was quite amazing, scary, and impressive. Then, today, I discovered you can rent a Model S from another owner.

Find a rental car or make money renting your car Turo

6. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

I have not experienced this.

7. mczajka

mczajka Member

Should be interesting to see if they actually say something about this during the segment.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Where did that quote come from? I don't understand it. I have test driven a P90D and floored it. The steering wheel didn't budge.

9. mczajka

mczajka Member

Let's wait for the show.

It was a producer. He could have been joking. Certainly you wouldn't go ludicrous through the cones. Let's wait for the show.

10. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Sounds more like he just made s*** up for theatrical effect. Probably never even drove the car.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Maybe he meant that the instantaneous motor torque from a standing start pushed him back into the seat so much that he had to concentrate on holding on to the steering wheel.
    A case of exaggerating for theatrical effect.

12. slcasner

slcasner Member

Keying off the sentence "Keeping the wheel straight is best when testing it out", my guess is that the quote was about the torque steering effect if you try to punch it while turning. I have experienced torque steer in front-wheel-drive vehicles like the GM EV1, but I have not tried it in the Model S.