Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s P90DL avg wh/mi consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 model s P90DL with 21” wheels and Michelin p4s summer tires and live in Tacoma Washington this is my first Tesla and it seems like my wh/mi is extremely high for the way I drive. I precondition the car every morning before my drive and have the climate set to auto at 68F and use the seat heater on high. My drive to work is 15 miles away and is mostly down hill with about 50/50 city and hwy, outside temp is usually anywhere from 32F to 45F I drive the speed limit 45 to 50 city and 60 to 65 hwy and I accelerate slow. 70 percent of the time I have someone going around me because of my slow accel! And I struggle to get under 400wh/mi. On the way home i struggle to stay under 500wh/mi for the 15 mile trip home. Do you guys think something is wrong or is this normal consumption?

I've only put roughly 1k miles on my '16 p90dl, but if showing over 350wh/mi for my trip, I have likely been driving HARD for spurts. Driving normal can get under 300wh/mi.

That said, weather has been more friendly than what you are mentioning as it is averaging high 50- low 60s over those miles.
I also have the 19" slipstreams.

Michelin PS4s are sticky tires. They won't help much all by themselves. Could be worse if you have heavier than stock wheels or wider than stock tires. There are many variables and at the end of the day they all have a small or large affect on the mileage.

Side note: Might be worth getting a second set of tires, as Summer tires can be damaged due to driving in low temperatures. Driving a Tesla Model 3 Performance in the Winter Could Void Tire Warranty

That said I wouldn't think anything is wrong with your vehicle. The car dealing with the cold weather is probably the reason your car is not currently very efficient.

As near as I can tell, the original EPA range for your car was approx 253 miles. That works out to about 355 Wh per mile if my math is correct (corrections welcome). I think that test was done with 19 inch wheels, which are more efficient than 21 inch. Perhaps someone has data on the difference. I have noted in my 2017 MS (19 inch) that stop and go driving raises my usage to well over 300, and cruising at 60 mph on open highway lowers it to around 265. Bad cool/wet weather also increases usage, and the cold battery pack reduces the amount of re-gen it can take, so your usage goes up. The HVAC system in our cars is resistance heaters, so they also use up power. Your experience may be reasonable for the daily conditions you describe. Are you getting similar results on a long (e.g. 1 hour plus) highway drive, or better? Note, driving in all conditions here in Maryland, for the last 8000+ miles, my average is 309 per mile and the EPA estimate when purchased was approx 299.

Weather, Heat, AND butt warmers on high are the reasons why. My P85D with 20s down here in PDX consumes ~400Wh/mi lately which is normal. You’ll love it when spring/summer arrive. Low 300s and even dips into high 200s for a normal drive.

The seat heaters are only about 50W. That’s a lot less than the cabin heater. Rated is around 350 as stated above and the 21’s definitely cost you 15% or so more, which gets you to 400ish.

“Happy Feet” can easily push it much higher, but that should be billed to the entertainment account and not the transportation account. Discuss that with your XO. ;-)