Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P90DL power modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about purchasing a Tesla Model S P90D Ludicrous. I have been doing some research on the cars. What I can't figure out is why some cars are faster than others. Have people been able to figure out how to get more power out of the motors? I know that Jason created a p100++ monster but that was done by putting a 100pack into the car, a normal p100dl still would be faster than the rear wheel drive monster.

I looked at this car in person:

2015 Tesla Model S P90DL | eBay

This particular car has all options, including pano and premium sound and runs a 10.8 with stock 21's that were low on tread! The owner said the car was rooted and had some improvements but would not tell me what exactly was done to it. Only problem with the car that it is a rebuilt title. It looks nice and everything works on it but has no tesla factory warranty left on it.

What do you guys think of rebuilt Tesla's is it too much of a risk? How much less should I expect to pay for it? I have some decisions to make any help would be appreciated.

I’d say proceed with caution. Warranty may be voided due to modifications. May have trouble getting any support from tesla at all. Also, it sounds like this car has led a very hard life. How many times has he taken it to the drag strip during tuning/mods. Buying a used race car is asking from for trouble Finally, what is the deal with the suspension? Most P90D’s will have the standard suspension as they were manufactured after may 2015. Did he modify the suspension as well?

If you are looking for a race car or a toy, and cost is no object than maybe this a good purchase. If you are looking for a reliable daily than I’d run away.

Reactions: P85Dave and drklain
I put a deposit down on a 2015 P90D CPO. I found out it has the V1 battery. I told Tesla that's the wrong battery for a factory ludicrous, it's only 1500kW instead of 1600kW and there is evidence that it is prone to range degradation. As such, I won't take delivery of the car unless they agree to swap it.

How do you know which pack is what? Did you have to pay extra for a V3 pack? I did not know there were options on packs during order of the car?
It's not an "option"....they started building the cars with V1, then V2, then V3, over time.

I, personally, would not buy a V1 (nor am I).

Get a picture of the battery sticker. When you have the part number then you can google and figure out what battery pack it has.

Tesla puts a part number sticker on their Model S battery packs. This sticker is located on the passenger side right behind the front wheel well down low on the side of the battery case. You have to pretty much get on your stomach to read it if the car is not on a lift. My particular Model S P90DL has the V2 battery pack with the part number 1071394-00-A

This particular pack has been very good for me with 26,000 miles it has just 3% degradation and is capable of pushing the S pretty terrifyingly fast in Ludicrous mode with a full charge. The P90DL is a spectacular Model S and I am totally happy with mine which was made in February of 2016.

• Informative
Reactions: sakimano
I would generally avoid rebuilds/salvage title car’s. With that said, I believe this is @Ingineer’s car, so it is almost certainly very well done and would probably be supported by the seller if issues arose.

My biggest question is if the car has had its Tesla re-cert (if Tesla would work on the car and if the native Tesla API and mobile app works with the car).

Tesla puts a part number sticker on their Model S battery packs. This sticker is located on the passenger side right behind the front wheel well down low on the side of the battery case. You have to pretty much get on your stomach to read it if the car is not on a lift. My particular Model S P90DL has the V2 battery pack with the part number 1071394-00-A

This particular pack has been very good for me with 26,000 miles it has just 3% degradation and is capable of pushing the S pretty terrifyingly fast in Ludicrous mode with a full charge. The P90DL is a spectacular Model S and I am totally happy with mine which was made in February of 2016.
what part of your part # on the sticker signifies that this is V2? thanks

and what does the sticker say? i.e. how do you differentiate between 1 2 and 3

You look at the part number.

I can't find the complete list of part numbers right now, but here is what I have at hand:

1063792-00-A: V1
1071394-00-A: V2
1088792-00-A: V3

You could dig through all 158 pages of this thread for more information: Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!