Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Paint - factory custom?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my P85D on Friday. My request for a custom color was approved in late December just before Tesla decided to end the program. My assumption is that doing custom painting was slowing production, although I never got confirmation of that from Tesla. Hopefully when the new paint shop comes online later this year Tesla will decide to again offer some form of custom paint.

The color is called Terracuda Pearl. The paint was developed by hot rodder Chip Foose as part of a line of 24 custom colors he did in partnership with BASF automotive finishes.

P85D%20HQ%20Front_zps8gzcpsq6.jpg

It seems Tesla have three new colors in the pipeline for this year. This is from the service catalogue (credit goes to Cookie Monster on the Norwegian EV-forums).

Obsidian Black (Metallic Black)
Ocean Blue (Metallic blue)
Titanium (Dark Silver Metallic)

5U23J2T.png

So they have silver, dark silver, and grey. Talk about diversity! :) I'm so glad you didn't say brown. I would be apoplectic if they announced brown right now.

PLEASE more pics of the Terracuda, Dennis! I'm in heaven. My favorite color on a car, hands down. Any car.

The palette may be new, but sounds as bleak and boring as ever. Come on Elon, enough balls for the Roadster, Model S, Model X, Model ≡, Gigafactory, SpaceX, but not enough for a single bold colour on our favourite car??? :cool:
Let's look at the most popular car colors in North America in 2014 (source: White dominates America's car paint palette as brown makes inroads) In North America, white remains most popular (23 percent), followed by black (18 percent), gray (16 percent) and silver (15 percent).
That's 72% for in essence "shades of gray". And I'm reasonably certain the ratio would be even higher if you restricted things to "large sedans".

Tesla has one non-boring color, though :)
(hint, look at my avatar)

Some of that is due to people buying cars off the lot, and that's what the dealer orders.

I think you're at least partially right but the real answer is that's what manufacturers make. I don't believe the dealers get to spec out vehicles exactly to their choice. Some colors are only available with some option packages and so on. A lot of this is to limit the possible combinations and also to try and make some options easier to sell. But I'm pretty sure the manufacturers are in control of this.