Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Paint Protection / Coating in London

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I've just had my Model S (Deep Blue Metalic) delivered and am absolutely loving it. Unfortunately, it got covered in tree sap at the weekend. While I've had it washed since, I've started thinking about paint protection/detailing.

My local carwash has recommended AutoGlym/Supagard and they'd do the detailing for me. Has anyone had any experience with these? I'd love to know if there's another brand/company you'd recommend in the London area and how much it might cost.

THanks

Badly done, a paint protection application can actually cause more damage to the paintwork than if you had left it alone.

What is ringing alarm bells for me here is that you're saying your local carwash does detailing? Do you know they have all the right equipment and training to do proper paint correction and apply the protection in the right way? Out of interest, how much are they quoting to do it and how long do they say they'll need your car for? Which part of London are you in?

I've heard and seen some real horror stories, particularly as dealers and the like have jumped on the detailing bandwagon and are now offering Supagard/Lifeshine etc. as a way of increasing their margins.

Like anything, you get what you pay for when it comes to detailing/correction/protection.

Last edited:
Badly done, a paint protection application can actually cause more damage to the paintwork than if you had left it alone.

What is ringing alarm bells for me here is that you're saying your local carwash does detailing? Do you know they have all the right equipment and training to do proper paint correction and apply the protection in the right way? Out of interest, how much are they quoting to do it and how long do they say they'll need your car for? Which part of London are you in?

I've heard and seen some real horror stories, particularly as dealers and the like have jumped on the detailing bandwagon and are now offering Supagard/Lifeshine etc. as a way of increasing their margins.

Like anything, you get what you pay for when it comes to detailing/correction/protection.

Thanks for the reply. I'm concerned about a botched job ruining the paintwork. When I say local car-wash, I probably do them a disservice. They're based in Canary Wharf and used to dealing with a variety of supercars.

They reckon it'll take 8 hours (give or take) and the damage will be around 400+VAT.

Wharfside Car Detailing Paint Correction Paint Protection For Canary Wharf & London

Yes, more than a car wash by the look of it!

I did a fair bit of research when I bought my last car and the dealer offered me a Supagard treatment on it for £300. Supagard/Lifeshine product costs the dealer £20-30, they pay someone £25 to do the work and the rest is commission for the salesperson and a lot of profit.

In a dealership, they're washing and waxing umpteen cars every day so won't have the time or skill to prepare the car properly first. It's basically a bit of a rip off and not worth the money when a dealer tries to sell you it.

Your guys in Canary Wharf are a level above that, for sure, as it seems they will be carrying out some paint correction first and should be able to apply the finish to a high standard, but I would still speak to a couple more professional detailers and ask their opinions on the various protections and coatings which can be applied.

The decision I made in the end was to spend more getting a full paint correction and application of a ceramic coating, which is much more durable and long lasting than Supagard or similar. I did that because I know my car isn't going to be washed by a pro every week, so I needed a way to protect the existing finish, make it easier for me to wash when I find the time and guard against scratches/swirls caused by my sloppy washing technique or by using an automated car wash if I have to.

You may not need or want that level of protection if you're getting your car washed professionally regularly as hopefully they'll be doing it properly.

Here are a couple of sites which you might find useful:

Detailing World - A world for detailers by detailers.

Professional Valeters & Detailers - Skilled Proven Insured

Do you want more than a Supagard type treatment? i.e. a ceramic coating? That should narrow your choice down a bit. You also might want to ask on a more UK focussed forum such as Pistonheads.