Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Panoramic Roof Sun Shades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Windshield adds huge heat to the car! More than you would ever imagine, but then again, look at the area of that baby. Here in Las Vegas, I tinted the windshield when I got it and the car has been very comfortable. Had to replace my windshield last week and really noticed the effect of no tinting. Have an appointment on Thurs to have the 3M tint reinstalled.
Out of curiosity, what type of tint did you use to get the difference, without drawing... ummm... unwanted attention...

Windshield adds huge heat to the car! More than you would ever imagine, but then again, look at the area of that baby. Here in Las Vegas, I tinted the windshield when I got it and the car has been very comfortable. Had to replace my windshield last week and really noticed the effect of no tinting. Have an appointment on Thurs to have the 3M tint reinstalled.
Nice! Yeah I got a rock chip about 3 days before my windshield tint. I rescheduled the tint to July so I could get it replaced first. And the tint job is only $150USD for me and the guy comes to the house to do it. You can't beat that service!

Out of curiosity, what type of tint did you use to get the difference, without drawing... ummm... unwanted attention...

3M Crystalline, 70 hardly noticeable as tinted and gives 50% solar energy rejection............not cheap but worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice! Yeah I got a rock chip about 3 days before my windshield tint. I rescheduled the tint to July so I could get it replaced first. And the tint job is only $150USD for me and the guy comes to the house to do it. You can't beat that service!

Are you sure you are getting 3M Crystalline for $150 for a Tesla windshield? THAT is a real bargain from what I had to pay up here in Las Vegas for that material.

3M Crystalline, 70 hardly noticeable as tinted and gives 50% solar energy rejection............not cheap but worth it.

Are you sure you are getting 3M Crystalline for $150 for a Tesla windshield? THAT is a real bargain from what I had to pay up here in Las Vegas for that material.
Sorry. I never said it was 3M or Crystalline. It's SunTek CarbonXP which is in line with 3M's Crystalline and Llumnar. I have 35% on the front sides and 18% on the rears. I'll be putting 80% on the windshield which will block 44% total solar energy and 99% UV. It should be extremely similar to what you have and is not noticeable at all.

I had the same tint on my Aston Martin and you couldn't even tell it had anything on it, even at close inspection.

I leave them in during the fall, summer and spring, and take them out in the winter. With the shades removed, the car ends up a little warmer while sitting outside during work. And the car is a little brighter inside during those cloudy winter months.

- - - Updated - - -

It's SunTek CarbonXP which is in line with 3M's Crystalline and Llumnar. I have 35% on the front sides and 18% on the rears. I'll be putting 80% on the windshield which will block 44% total solar energy and 99% UV. It should be extremely similar to what you have and is not noticeable at all.

I have the same tint...35% sides and back, 70% (basically clear) on windshield. Matches the pano roof, and light enough that it's still safe at night.

The shades fit snugly into the area between the pano and the headliner. Its a bit difficult to install them in because of that. But once in they look as if they are factory installed.

I have had them on since last summer and driven with and without the pano open at all speeds. There is no noticeable difference with the shades installed. They do seem to reduce the effects of sun bearing down on you from the pano.

Another advantage my wife noted is that they act like a bug screen!

Taking them out when washing the car can be a hassle though, so frankly I have been just leaving them on and doing without cleaning the pano roof from the inside.

I have the pano and rear window shades> I find them very helpful reducing glare and heat in South Florida. Recently i had 3M 70 installed all around which reduced heat transfer substantially, especially from the windshield. I tried driving without the sunshades, but reinstalled them because they still had benefit. The only downside to keeping them in all the time, for me anyway, is that rear visibility is slightly reduced. The reduction in glare from headlights and the sun makes it worthwhile even with the tint. I admit to being extremely sensitive to glare, so many people might think I overdo it.

How is it that I didn't hear about these pano shades before? I spend way too much of my time on TMC as it is... :biggrin:

Since my September 2012 Sig S has pano shades on the due bill (they were originally promised as 'standard' equipment on the Signature cars), am I due a set of these without charge? Have any Signature owners tried hitting up Tesla for this?

Pics or it didn't happen! :) And be sure to drive over to a role-playing game in a field for good measure. In fact, this last bit might actually be really cool. "The silent knight in the Model S sneaks onto the field..."

Model S jousting?

Coincidentally I actually have both of these things haha. I swear I only use them on special occasions.

mask.png

Picked up the pano and hatch shades today from the Fremont Service Center. We were just stopping to get a quick charge to run up into the hills towards Santa Cruz to hit some wineries and I saw my 9 day old baby wincing from the sun through the pano. So I went over and the SC had them in stock and I grabbed a set for $240.
Definately helps reduce the sun intensity, but didn't seem to affect light too much. Makes the hatch almost opaque from the outside with my dark tint on it.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg