Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S parking brake is loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla community..I just bought a 2014 Model S P85D. Great car, but a few times when in reverse, I feel one or both rear parking brakes "sticking" and I have to "accelerate" to move and its a bad/restrictive (embarrassing) sound. Anyway, my rear driver side parking brake caliper is now loose and I think I broke a bolt(s) or something holding it in place. I'd prefer not having Tesla SC charge an arm and and leg to secure it properly.

Does anyone have any advice? Size of bolts, tools needed, something pretty easy or difficult? Torque on lug nuts? I sure appreciate your help.

PS I live in Michigan where is very cold. My guess is car washes freeze the parking brake and not allow it to release (naturally) when I go in reverse?

I can see that, but curious why sometimes it works/disengages perfectly and other times it grips and never releases?
could be wet and it rusted to the rotor. or its cold and it froze to the rotor. I washed my car yesterday and today when i left the house there was the thunk sound as the brakes broke loose from the rotor since they rusted in place. Same thing happens after driving in the snow and rain if the pads/rotors aren't warm enough to dry off super quick they'll rust in place.

Its pretty standard on any car, my old mustang and really every car I've ever owned would do this but my brakes don't get used much as i always drove a manual transmission so i used the engine to brake most of the time and the rotors didn't warm up much.

Or while i lived in AK during the winter I'd never use the parking brake because it would freeze overnight and sometimes it wont easily break loose when trying to move the car. A friend of mine broke his rear diff trying to break loose a stuck parking brake. But i had a manual so i just park in 1st gear and call it a day.

If you think something is off then take off the wheel and inspect the brakes but since you wanna inspect the parking brakes you're gonna need to have it disengaged while you look at it so put the car into tow mode and put chock blocks on all the tires so the car doesn't move while you jack it up and remove the wheel. inspect the brake pads and the housing and see if its loose or wiggles more than it should. Check the bolts and make sure they are tight and not sheered off or anything.

Upvote 0
The parking brake is all electric, only mechanical section is inside the housing. So just dousing with WD40 does not help. Worth to check this as cleaning and lubricating will solve the issue. Your car is ‘14 so it should fall under the recall program and a side note it‘s recommended to change the unit as if your description is correct the broke off of the caliper can’t be fixed with just new bolts.

Upvote 0
Hello Tesla community..I just bought a 2014 Model S P85D. Great car, but a few times when in reverse, I feel one or both rear parking brakes "sticking" and I have to "accelerate" to move and its a bad/restrictive (embarrassing) sound. Anyway, my rear driver side parking brake caliper is now loose and I think I broke a bolt(s) or something holding it in place. I'd prefer not having Tesla SC charge an arm and and leg to secure it properly.

Does anyone have any advice? Size of bolts, tools needed, something pretty easy or difficult? Torque on lug nuts? I sure appreciate your help.

PS I live in Michigan where is very cold. My guess is car washes freeze the parking brake and not allow it to release (naturally) when I go in reverse?
I just sold my 2014 S P85D white and and always has the ame noise, i beleive is just rust at the disc brakes, it was the same for seveeral years

Upvote 0
could be wet and it rusted to the rotor. or its cold and it froze to the rotor. I washed my car yesterday and today when i left the house there was the thunk sound as the brakes broke loose from the rotor since they rusted in place. Same thing happens after driving in the snow and rain if the pads/rotors aren't warm enough to dry off super quick they'll rust in place.

Its pretty standard on any car, my old mustang and really every car I've ever owned would do this but my brakes don't get used much as i always drove a manual transmission so i used the engine to brake most of the time and the rotors didn't warm up much.

Or while i lived in AK during the winter I'd never use the parking brake because it would freeze overnight and sometimes it wont easily break loose when trying to move the car. A friend of mine broke his rear diff trying to break loose a stuck parking brake. But i had a manual so i just park in 1st gear and call it a day.

If you think something is off then take off the wheel and inspect the brakes but since you wanna inspect the parking brakes you're gonna need to have it disengaged while you look at it so put the car into tow mode and put chock blocks on all the tires so the car doesn't move while you jack it up and remove the wheel. inspect the brake pads and the housing and see if its loose or wiggles more than it should. Check the bolts and make sure they are tight and not sheered off or anything.
Maybe I should just have a hair dryer near each rear parking brake ;) Has anyone had this parking brake sticking issue in the warmer temps? Hopefully it's just the salt and freezing weather here in Michigan.

Upvote 0