Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S parts from other automakers' models...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No, just really interested in Tesla. When I first came here I thought this car was too good to be true. Even now, with everything I know it still seems unthinkable that a small car company can basically out do the large established car companies.

I've invested in Tesla but even if I hadn't I'd still be interested in the company. Honestly I think their technology will change the auto industry so I think its interesting to discuss. This is a discussion forum right?

I know that the Model S is using many parts from Toyota and Daimler's vehicles. Does anybody have know what parts they took from these larger automakers?

Thanks.

And how do you know this? No one has even seen the alpha model yet, let alone a final version of the Model S. But I'll let you know if I see any parts stamped with a Toyota or Daimler logo next week at the Detroit Auto Show.

And how do you know this? No one has even seen the alpha model yet, let alone a final version of the Model S. But I'll let you know if I see any parts stamped with a Toyota or Daimler logo next week at the Detroit Auto Show.

Im pretty sure they would do this because to completely design the car from the ground up would be really expensive. There was a few articles that stated that Tesla would "rummage" through Toyota and Daimler's parts bin for parts they needed. It just makes sense for them to access the larger automakers supply chain in order to cut costs.

I could've sworn I read an article which outlined which parts Tesla took from the other automakers. Cant find it now, I thought maybe somebody here would've seen the same article.

... As part of the deal with Daimler, Musk said Tesla will use Mercedes Benz components such as airbags, sensors and possibly some suspension components in the Model S...

Except we learned from the latest engineering tour videos that the suspension is Tesla design (though I supposed they could share bushings or hardened bolts or 'suppn).

_____________________________________________--
Can't pass on the irony of "embarrassing"

Anyone know the function of these different electric motors? :

http://green.autoblog.com/photos/tesla-model-s-alpha-build-prototype/full/#3770660
tesla-model-s-alpha-build-detroit-07.jpg

I think the one on top (in back) is for the power steering rack. How about the other? ABS braking? Vacuum booster?

I wonder who makes those.

Last edited:
I doubt there is any vacuum system in the car.

Sometimes for regulatory and compliance reasons they end up needing to use legacy technology. Maybe even for cost savings. They might decide they need a vacuum assist (standard off the shelf part) for the power brakes, in which case they need a vacuum from somewhere.

ICE based cars were used to having engine vacuum available for anything they need so they would sometimes use it for cabin vent controls and such. It would be nice if Tesla managed to find replacements for everything vacuum based, but it is possible they found it cheaper & easier to stick with that "tried and true" technology for now.

I also wonder if there is a slight chance that they plan to use a hydraulic suspension dampening system... (?) Anyone see any springs or torsion bars in any of the pictures?

No, just really interested in Tesla. When I first came here I thought this car was too good to be true. Even now, with everything I know it still seems unthinkable that a small car company can basically out do the large established car companies.

I've invested in Tesla but even if I hadn't I'd still be interested in the company. Honestly I think their technology will change the auto industry so I think its interesting to discuss. This is a discussion forum right?

I came here with the same thoughts.

Having access to the Daimler and Toyota suppliers (including Bosch, Denso, and many others) would be one thing but it seems highly unlikely you would go behind a panel and see a Toyota logo, you might see a Bosch control unit or two, but it would be very well hidden I would bet.

Daimler just signed a significant deal with Nissan recently too. Companies are now going to great lengths to ensure they are green enough to stay in business here.

To me it seems like Tesla is on the verge of something great. I would strongly consider joining their team if they came to my neck of the woods.

Sometimes for regulatory and compliance reasons they end up needing to use legacy technology. Maybe even for cost savings. They might decide they need a vacuum assist (standard off the shelf part) for the power brakes, in which case they need a vacuum from somewhere.

As far as I know, the Roadster doesn't have any vacuum systems...