Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S parts from other automakers' models...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hydraulic lines to push on the pads, but a vacuum booster to make pushing the pedal easier...
booster.gif

That big round thing mounted against the "firewall" on the other side of your brake pedal.

No belts either. Was once stranded on the NJ turnpike late at night. Alternator belt broke, battery discharged and vehicle eventually turned off. With EVs it appears as if a drained battery is going to be one of the few causes of a breakdown, in addition to tire blowouts. Of course this being totally new, there may be other unsuspecting issues we are not yet familiar with. Roadster owners may have some additional information to share. Definitely a lot less moving parts!

if tesla does dip into other car cos parts, please of please tesla, do not use lexus' leather on the seats. Lexus leather is paper thin and is so easily damaged and stained. I've seen few lexus leather seats that look good after a year (especially after 2002). I'd prefer Tesla design their own seats and get leather from another source, but if they can't please us MB leather or leatherette

Nice - Magna supplied parts for the Roadster! It's a great Canadian company that I happened to buy shares in a while back because they are partnering with Ford for their BEV - didn't realize that there was a Tesla connection, too.
It wasn't all roses, but I will spare you the details.

We all know from reading the available materials that they are making a point of hiring engineers for every stage of the lifecycle of these cars. With the Roadster they were mainly working with driveline, battery and charging technologies. Meaning unlike the Nissan the technology has had more real world testing.

I am actually in the middle of Nissan training for the Leaf, but I'm still not convinced they have it.

From what I have read most hybrids do not have a true vacuum system. Remember the vacuum that was used to operate most brake boosters and in the past such things that AC door motors and even timing advancement in the stone age, but where did it come from? Ported Vacuum is what is draws air into the combustion chamber after the exhaust stroke is complete. Replicating this type of control would be counter productive. Hybrids typically have an electric motor that assists in regenerative braking. In order to maintain a normal pedal feel to the driver the pedal must remain firm while it is being used. What is actually happening is the electronic motor is packing off the hydraulic pedal pressure to allow for the motor to reclaim the kinetic energy.

Related:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1857
...The steering in normal and has electric assist, the P brake is an electric solenoid that pulls a cable. the brakes appear to be normal hydraulic electric-assisted, the accelerator is most likely a standard HEPI (Hall Effect Pedal Sensor), that's a magnetic sensor. There are e few hydraulic brake distribution blocks in the motor compartment...
...The brakes have a motor mounted in a booster assembly. There is a stroke sensor in the booster assembly to read how fast and hard pedal is applied. From the video I watched at work it shows a "cooprative" brake system. It starts with mechanical brakes switches to regen then back to mechanical brakes at final stop...

They're currently unable to produce in-house in the factory a) what they intend to produce for launch and b) what they want to produce in the long-run. For speed-to-market, quality control, and time-to-detect & repair, they want as much in-house as possible.
The plastics are in the process of becoming in-house as is the frame and body panels. Beyond that, you start hitting outsource, but only "for now."