TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S - pass door opened by itself while driving

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vthomas, May 4, 2018.

1. vthomas

vthomas Member

Not sure if anyone else has experience d this, but while I was driving to the Service Center this morning to get some parts installed, my front passenger door opened automatically while I was on the highway. Sept 2017 S90D on 2018.12. SC is checking logs and hypothesizing issue could be a sensor fault on the door handle.

To put it lightly, quite the jarring and unpleasant experience. Just glad no passengers were in the car.

Attached Files:

2. Brettski

Brettski Member

Scary. I wonder if this has been reported with the Model X, with the door doing more than just releasing and opening a crack....

• Helpful x 1
  3. project880

project880 Member

Yup, same happened to me, but on the driver's door. I was also on the highway. Service replaced the latch and door panel.

4. JasJ

JasJ Member

+1 (except passenger rear door)

5. Lu Ann

Lu Ann Member

Me too 2013 P85.

6. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

Hold on OP, you chose to take a photo at 54mph, rather than pull over, or lean over and close it? The picture came first?

7. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Scary, and it's happened before.

Makes me wish we had purely mechanical doors.

8. Rbcnr

Rbcnr Member

Happened to me while using AP on highway, 2017 MS75D. Door opened just a little and I was very surprised. No one else was in the car - rear passenger door. Had read about this on a thread a few ago. SC said microswitch failure and going have latch replaced next week. They said this was a known issue on older models but first time they saw it on a new model.

Had me turn off auto present and child safety lock for the time being. Got frustrated and turned auto present back on. Hasnt happened in the past 2 weeks but getting it repaired just in case it happens again. Gluck

Honestly i love tesla but they have to get to the bottom of this. Couldve been very frightening if my child was back there .

9. vthomas

vthomas Member

Service manager confirmed- it’s the micro switch. Hope they resolve permanently. I had the same thought - glad my kids weren’t in the car.

10. Ketchups

Ketchups Member

OP, next time record a video instead of snapping a photo :D

Opened, as in the seal was broken and air was allowed into the cabin "opened", or just unlocked - door handle presented "opened"?

Pretty sure the Model S doesn't have the same "door open" feature as the Model X, where the door unlocks and pops out.

11. Rbcnr

Rbcnr Member

For me, i heard wind noise coming into tbe cabin so for a millisecond thought it was my left knee but AP also disengaged and when I pulled over, the door was slightly cracked open (1 inch).

Maybe we need to report this to HQ bc I dont know if SC really reports the full case or just orders the necessary parts for repair..so that we can help (maybe) prevent others from encountering this.

12. BIG ACH

BIG ACH Member

Happens to me sometimes when I unlock my car.... passenger door just opens, never happened when I'm moving though. Scary for sure.

13. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

Scary for sure. Our X5 with Soft Close doors also spontaneously unlatched once when my son was in the back. Faulty sensor module. TSB subsequently issued across the board.
    Alarming in both cases (Tesla and BMW), but the doors will never actually fly open unless we had suicide doors where the wind would force them open. Some things should stay mechanical vs electrical/sensor-based...

14. liquidcrystal

liquidcrystal Member

Just happened to me yesterday. Pulled out of my parking spot and about 20 feet later the front passenger door just swung open...luckily I was still in the parking lot and the door didn't hit any of the row of cars I was driving by. I tested it at home...anytime I approach the car all the door handles present, as would be expected, but the front passenger door quietly unlatches and opens about 1/4 inch, ready to swing out. When testing it at home, I also heard four very faint bell sounds which I did not hear in the parking lot. I didn't see any "open door" warning on the dashboard....thought that was strange.
    This is the same door that had to be repaired the day I picked up the new Model S (2018 75D), three months ago, because it wouldn't open at all. The service department recommended setting the "door unlock" feature to only the driver's door...I'll give that a shot and see if it makes any difference at all. And they are sending out a mobile team next Monday or Tuesday (unfortunately, it happened late Thursday and I called them on Friday.)