Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Passenger Window Issue, need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whatsup Everyone,

I have a 2018 P100 Model S, and recently have been having an issue with my passenger window.

When you open the door, the window rolls down a little but when you close it, the window rolls up to a point that it sticks out of the chrome trim almost like its off track. There is also some weird cracking noises when rolling up and down. I hope that makes sense, if you need clarification let me know

I have tried to calibrate, and also made sure the puddle light was functioning,

Tesla wants over $500 to come and fix the issue but I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction if you had a similar issue

If you open the window, close the door, and then put up the window, is the window outside of the upper channel when it is fully closed? It sounds like you are describing a window put fully up with the door opened, and then closing the door.

I just successfully finished rebuilding the rear driver’s window regulator on my 2017 Model S 100D. After hearing some crunching sounds when I tried to fully close the window, i determined that the windows midway regulator had failed. I found that a common problem was the plastic furred in the window regulator mechanism. So I purchased 4 Aluminum ferrules from Gruber Automotive. The cables in my regulator has become entirely detached and the cable windings in the motor assembly had come apart as well. After watching a few YouTube videos, I was able to get everything back together. I’ll be monitoring it to see if I need to purchase a replacement since the plastic cylinder where the cable and motor attach to has seen better days:

Attachments

• IMG_9992.jpeg
    IMG_9992.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    735.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: Dannietjoh
I just successfully finished rebuilding the rear driver’s window regulator on my 2017 Model S 100D. After hearing some crunching sounds when I tried to fully close the window, i determined that the windows midway regulator had failed. I found that a common problem was the plastic furred in the window regulator mechanism. So I purchased 4 Aluminum ferrules from Gruber Automotive. The cables in my regulator has become entirely detached and the cable windings in the motor assembly had come apart as well. After watching a few YouTube videos, I was able to get everything back together. I’ll be monitoring it to see if I need to purchase a replacement since the plastic cylinder where the cable and motor attach to has seen better days:
I not sure how much you spend (time and $) but I think Tesla service is not too unreasonable on this. The new part is $150, and labor to do it is $126.
Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 6.01.54 PM.jpg

I not sure how much you spend (time and $) but I think Tesla service is not too unreasonable on this. The new part is $150, and labor to do it is $126.
View attachment 931242
That seems like a fair price. After watching a video by Gruber Automotive, I was under the impression that that plastic ferrule in the window regulator assembly was the design flaw that caused these window regulators to fail. So I purchased 4 of their Aluminum ferrules to upgrade all 4 window regulators. The ferrules are a whopping $18.95 each. However since my regulator’s cabling was kinked beyond repair, I ended up buying a window regulator anyway for $179. I’ve spent an enormous amount of time doing the repair, install, removal, reinstall but at least I’ve learned a little more about repairing the Tesla.

Reactions: PR0FESSOR
Can you share the dimensions of that aluminium ferrule or is the part that rare that only Gruber Automotive can supply them?
I’ve only seen this part available from Gruber Motors. Very few people may know about this failure item and just replace the entire window regulator. Perform a search for Gruber motors and you’ll find their Aluminum ferrule for the Tesla Window regulator. It’s a multifaceted design so providing the dimensions without a complete mechanical drawing will be useless. It’s about 1.6” long and 1/2” wide at its maximum width. It does have multiple diameters as you’ll see on the Gruber webpage.

without a complete mechanical drawing

Mechanical drawing here, post #12