Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance & Handling Compared to my BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've not noticed in this thread is wheel/tire combo (sorry if I missed it). Speed you won't have a problem with, and the low center of gravity makes for great handling behavior in general, but keep in mind Model S is a heavy car. I have the standard 19" wheels with Goodyear tires on my S60 and when taking corners in spirited fashion I can feel them struggle a bit. So you might want to consider a bit more rubber if you are interesting in maximizing handling performance. That comes with a a price of course (performance tires aren't cheap). I came from driving an BMW M3 and was tired of spending $500 per rear tire every 12k miles, which contributed to my decision for cheaper tires that could be rotated.

Driving dynamics aside, one thing I learned coming from German cars is don't have high expectations when it comes to interior quality. While Tesla is nice, it is not comparable to the fit and finish of German luxury sedans. But like somebody said above, once you test drive a Tesla it will seal the deal. You will forget all the creature comforts you've grown used to in your BMW.

The Model S' low center of gravity helps, but there's no getting around the fact that it's a seriously heavy car. It feels a bit floaty with the air suspension too. But the car has a phenomenal amount of grip! You can definitely have some fun with it, just don't expect it to feel "tossable" like a RWD sports car.

The real draw for me is the instant torque. I've been in a lot of different vehicles, but nothing feels like the Model S in terms of acceleration. The P85D/P90D are ridiculously quick, but even the 85D/90D can simultaneously scare and delight your passengers with a blip of the accelerator.

Go for a test drive, then come back and let us know what configuration you decided to go with :wink:

Hey guys,

I'll be ordering a Model S in the near future and I currently own a 2014 BMW 550i M Sport. For those of you who may not be that familiar, it's the same twin turbo V8 that's in the M5 just not near as much HP and other enhancements. My goal is to attain (or close to it) a similar driving experience with regards to handling and performance.

I'm not thrilled about spending the extra money on the P85D so for those of you who are familiar with my car or equivalent, I wanted to know if the P85 would deliver a similar experience or would I need to jump up to the P85D?

Thanks in advance!

I got rid of my 2013 550 M-sport for the 85D. I vboxed both of them. The 85D is over 1 second faster to 60mph, 100mph, and in the quarter mile. And that's not taking in to account "real life driving" where the 85D doesn't have 8 gears worth of downshifting to deal with when you want to go...it just...goes. Like you, I was also unwilling to drive anything slower than my 550, which to me, was already borderline at 5.0 0-60. Most other cars I've owned were in the low 4's. The P85D is awesome, but if you just want something faster than your 550, the 85D is the best bang for your buck. If you're looking for a more direct acceleration comparison, the 85D is slightly faster 0-60 than the 2016 M3 and 2016 C63 AMG, and identical in the quarter mile (albeit at a slower trap speed).

Don't be put off by Tesla's website that tries to tell you the 85D is 0-60 in 4.4. It's really 4.0 if you use the standard 1-foot rollout method that all the magazines and other car manufacturers use to compare 0-60 times. I frankly think it's dishonest that they show the P85D with a rollout, and the 85D without, just to make the P model look better by comparison.

The only things I miss from the 550 are the soft closing doors, ventilated seats, and butt massgers :D. Everything else about the 85D is better. You'll also be surprised that while the 85D is 1,000lbs heavier than your 550, it feels like it weighs less. It's the size of a 7 series and feels like a 3 series. Pretty remarkable what putting all of the weight in the floor can do :).

Also, just to be clear (and I think we're already on the same page here): Like the 550, the Model S is not a nimble sports car. It's a very quick luxury sedan, with almost rocket ship-like acceleration. I can say from experience that it does handle better than the 550. But if you want a car that is truly sporty and nimble, you'll want a real sports car that's light weight and meant for canyon carving and the occasional track day. If you want a car that comfortably seats 5, has instant torque, and can basically drive itself...get the Tesla.

Last edited:
Drive a 90D then come back here and let us know what you think. It's the test drive that seals the deal.

Ok, I drove an 85D with AWD today and I can say that even though I've really enjoyed my 550, I won't be missing it at all. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I went from a F10 535i with a Dinan chip to the P85D.

I suppose it depends on what you are talking about when it comes to handling, but for my money the 535i handles far better than the P85D. I'm saying that purely from an enthusiast POV in terms of driving enjoyment. For my taste BMW has the balance b/w luxury/power/handling pretty close to nailed. The 535 is a fairly big car (although smaller than the MS) but still feels nimble. The MS isn't nimble in that way. It is heavy but handles like it is on rails - you can't do anything to make the car feel like it is on the edge of breaking away.

That said, it doesn't matter one bit. The experience of owning the Tesla is awesome. It's awesome to drive. The power is super fun. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Note: I see you're in Nashville. If there is anything I can do to help you in your process let me know. I'm happy to let you drive my car so you can see what it's like w/o having to deal with the Tesla folks. Just PM me as you get closer to your decision point.

Also here's my post from early ownership - speaks a bit to handling, delivery experience in Nashville, etc.
Week One Observations - Nashville P85D

Very kind of you and I will PM you when I get closer and thanks for sharing the link to your week one observations!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and this is the build that I selected. I even created a "My Tesla" account and selected the furthest delivery date which was June. I assume as months roll by I will be able to push it out to August?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 5.35.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 5.35.23 PM.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 5.41.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 5.41.55 PM.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 80
I got rid of my 2013 550 M-sport for the 85D. I vboxed both of them. The 85D is over 1 second faster to 60mph, 100mph, and in the quarter mile. And that's not taking in to account "real life driving" where the 85D doesn't have 8 gears worth of downshifting to deal with when you want to go...it just...goes. Like you, I was also unwilling to drive anything slower than my 550, which to me, was already borderline at 5.0 0-60. Most other cars I've owned were in the low 4's. The P85D is awesome, but if you just want something faster than your 550, the 85D is the best bang for your buck. If you're looking for a more direct acceleration comparison, the 85D is slightly faster 0-60 than the 2016 M3 and 2016 C63 AMG, and identical in the quarter mile (albeit at a slower trap speed).

Don't be put off by Tesla's website that tries to tell you the 85D is 0-60 in 4.4. It's really 4.0 if you use the standard 1-foot rollout method that all the magazines and other car manufacturers use to compare 0-60 times. I frankly think it's dishonest that they show the P85D with a rollout, and the 85D without, just to make the P model look better by comparison.

The only things I miss from the 550 are the soft closing doors, ventilated seats, and butt massgers :D. Everything else about the 85D is better. You'll also be surprised that while the 85D is 1,000lbs heavier than your 550, it feels like it weighs less. It's the size of a 7 series and feels like a 3 series. Pretty remarkable what putting all of the weight in the floor can do :).

Also, just to be clear (and I think we're already on the same page here): Like the 550, the Model S is not a nimble sports car. It's a very quick luxury sedan, with almost rocket ship-like acceleration. I can say from experience that it does handle better than the 550. But if you want a car that is truly sporty and nimble, you'll want a real sports car that's light weight and meant for canyon carving and the occasional track day. If you want a car that comfortably seats 5, has instant torque, and can basically drive itself...get the Tesla.

Great post and thanks for your contribution. Yes, my 550 is maxed out, comfort & convenience package and when I closed the door on the 85D, I barely pushed it in expecting it to grab and seal on it's own as that's how I'm conditioned. I was looking for the ventilated seats button when I sat in the cockpit and was disappointed that it wasn't there but after driving the car I can certainly live without!

I didn't turn on the massaging seats until about 3 months ago, very nice to have on a longer drive but again, I can live without and not a deal breaker!

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations. I also got the midnight silver but with grey nexgen and black Alcantara.

I actually went with the black alcantara. I selected white by mistake as it was highlighted by default so I went back in and immediately changed it to black! :)

I got rid of my 2013 550 M-sport for the 85D. I vboxed both of them. The 85D is over 1 second faster to 60mph, 100mph, and in the quarter mile.

Cool. Since you have vbo file for your 550, can you pull the 50-70 and 70-90 passing speeds from your up to 100 MPH run and compare that to the 85D? I would expect that they are nearly identical with 85D being faster up to all of those speeds being in the initial 0-30 MPH.

If you don't have the desktop software installed, I'd be happy to do it for you if you pm me and I'll send you my email address.

I think the difference is more like 300 lbs (4519 for the 550 and 4830 for the 85D). That said, a thousand lbs of that is at the very bottom so it should feel lighter and not need as stiff a suspension, especially sway bars, to stay as flat in the corners.

Cool. Since you have vbo file for your 550, can you pull the 50-70 and 70-90 passing speeds from your up to 100 MPH run and compare that to the 85D? I would expect that they are nearly identical with 85D being faster up to all of those speeds being in the initial 0-30 MPH.

If you don't have the desktop software installed, I'd be happy to do it for you if you pm me and I'll send you my email address.

I think the difference is more like 300 lbs (4519 for the 550 and 4830 for the 85D). That said, the a thousand lbs of that is at the very bottom so it should feel lighter and not need as stiff a suspension, especially sway bars, to stay as flat in the corners.

I'm going to go out to my car right now and look at the weight, hang tight.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, here it is.

Attachments

• IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
That's the gross weight with maximum payload. However, I realize I just quoted the weight for the 550i xDrive. The RWD model is listed as 4365, so a little under 500 lbs different. That's with a full tank of gas. Add 50lbs more difference for a half tank of gas. Also, a half tank of gas sloshing around side to side doesn't help handling either. The EV doesn't have to deal with shifting fuel loads.

That's the gross weight with maximum payload. However, I realize I just quoted the weight for the 550i xDrive. The RWD model is listed as 4365, so a little under 500 lbs different. That's with a full tank of gas. Add 50lbs more difference for a half tank of gas. Also, a half tank of gas sloshing around side to side doesn't help handling either. The EV doesn't have to deal with shifting fuel loads.

Where's the dang like button when you need one? ;)

Ok, I drove an 85D with AWD today and I can say that even though I've really enjoyed my 550, I won't be missing it at all. :)

Oh, and this is the build that I selected. I even created a "My Tesla" account and selected the furthest delivery date which was June. I assume as months roll by I will be able to push it out to August?

Congrats! Nice options selection, I'm sure you'll love the car :biggrin:

As for the delivery date, you *should* be able to push the date back even further but you might wanna contact your local Tesla store and see if an owner advisor can confirm that.

Another one (long term BMW guy) bites the dust..... After thirty years, my BMW sales bud was sad to see me go but the second he drove my first P85 he understood.

I was more of an M5 guy with my benchmark for balance being the last of the V8s..... My P85+ moved to lowered coil springs (from the stock air) was good but my P85D is fantastic (even with the air suspension). Having the front wheels pull themselves through corners is wonderful.

Welcome to the club and start exercising those face muscles least the Tesla Grin gives you cramps when you take delivery.

I haven't driven one yet, I plan to later this week. I drove an i8 today for several hours, really cool car but TBO, I preferred the performance and handling out of my current vehicle. It just felt more solid and aggressive than the i8 but that's just me.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh, so you definitely can relate to what I'm seeking to accomplish. Thanks for the info!

Excuse me if I am redundant; I haven't yet read through this entire thread. I owned a 2013 BMW 550 msport, effectively the same car as you (20 ft lb less torque if memory serves). My P85D absolutely blows it out of the water, in all ways, including not only power but even things like comfort and legroom.

Enough of an answer?

BMW 550:
50-70 MPH: 2.36s
70-90 MPH: 3.24s

Tesla 85D:
50-70 MPH: 2.15s
70-90 MPH: 3.00s

BMW 550:
50-70 MPH: 2.36s
70-90 MPH: 3.24s

Tesla 85D:
50-70 MPH: 2.15s
70-90 MPH: 3.00s

For reference and comparison.

P85D with 90% charge and max battery ready:

50-70 MPH: 1.81
70-90 MPH: 2.61 (with a 70% battery, it was 3.01)

P85D+L at 90%

50-70 MPH: 1.66
70-90 MPH: 2.43

On paper, the power to weight ratio of the 550i 4.4 Twin Trubo is about 1 : 11.25 with a 200 lb driver vs the 85D with about 1 : 12. The drivetrain loss on a P85D from motor shafts is about 6.5%. The 85D is probably similar. The BMW is probably 12 to 15%. The 85D is also producing peak power from 70-90 while the BMW power over that same range is the average power held through whatever passing gear it used.

So it all seems consistent and reasonable.

Also, your 85D will pull the same power down to about 65% so the SOC dropping won't really effect power until you go below that. The P85D will start dropping power as soon as it dips below 90%.

Additional comparisons to other BMW performance models. 2001 M5 70-90 3.10 seconds. 2008 M5 70-90 2.4 seconds. Don't know what it is for the current M5.

When driven briskly around curves/turns, the Tesla isn't going to feel as planted or handle as well, but much of the problem is the tires. They're skinny and and not anything close to performance tires. And keep in mind, BMW has been doing this performance suspension tuning for many decades.
If you're leasing, be ready for some BIG numbers with the Tesla, particularly the RIDICULOUS drive off compared to German cars.
Tesla really needs to start up a Financial arm to make the lease comparable to other luxury manufacturers. I can't believe the guy who helped start Paypal hasn't figured this out. The financial arm generates more money they the car side for many manufacturers.