Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance vs Audi S7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have little doubt that any AWD car is better in icy conditions than any 2WD car. But with chains or snow tires a Tesla will be plenty safe to operate.

Vehicle stability control makes more difference on ice than AWD--at least judging by the number of AWDs I see in the ditch whenever there is an ice day. AWD will get you up a slightly steeper hill, but hills that steep are typically closed off so from a practical point of view it doesn't matter.

I have little doubt that any AWD car is better in icy conditions than any 2WD car. But with chains or snow tires a Tesla will be plenty safe to operate.

From this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8838-Is-an-AWD-Model-S-Necessary?highlight=awd+equal

Someone once posted this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw on how all AWD systems are not alike.

A lot of AWD systems are merely marketing ploys. They preform no different than a standard FWD vehicle in many circumstances. Smooth and accurate application of torque (which is what traction control can help do) is what really matters, assuming you have weight on the drive wheels, and there is some traction available. The last two can be achieved via driving style.

EDIT: This is not clear but Audi/VW Haldex AWD, and Subaru AWD are real AWD systems an greatly increase overall grip. Honda and Toyota FWD to AWD conversions are pretty much just marketing.

Last edited:
Audi R8 has just set the production car record, 8:09:0.99 at Nurburgring: Audi R8 e-tron sets new electric record* with 8:09.099 time at Nrburgring

Can Model S Perf beat this?

Model S probably can beat the "electric" record. Question is can Tesla build a car that beats the record for all production cars (ICE and EV)? My guess is the new Roadster might become the Lord of the Ring!!

I replied in the S vs M5 thread, specifically concerning the Nürburgring Nordschleife, and also Laguna Seca.

Both of these courses have straight stretches where the lack of top speed will make the Model S times look abysmal.

If the top speed of the course is over about 120 (and lasts more than a few seconds) the Model S, and any 'low geared' electric is going to put up very bad numbers. On a course that is 20.6km taking only 8 minutes to run is an average speed of 96 mph. A huge portion of the race is going to be above 100mph, where the S starts to give up its torque.