Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance with Ludicrous insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

still trying to find reasonable insurance for my very soon (~March 9th) to be delivered Model S Performance with Ludicrous. The best (well, the only offer) I could find was through a broker with agreed value of $202320 (the purchase price) and will cost an exorbitant $4200 a year. NRMA would also insure but for a $4500 premium and an agreed value of $165k only. CommInsure who in December agreed to cover the full $202k for a premium of $1600 a year reneged now that I wanted to firm it up. Tesla themselves have not been helpful at all unfortunately.

Does anyone with the same model here have a contact I could peruse for a quote? I have a 30+ year driving history with 0 claims and 0 accidents (and 0 points).

This is bizarre. The statistics of that premium would indicate a 1 in 50 chance of a write off... Considering Tesla's show less than half the average accident probability this seems like a rip off of epic proportions.

Hi all,

still trying to find reasonable insurance for my very soon (~March 9th) to be delivered Model S Performance with Ludicrous. The best (well, the only offer) I could find was through a broker with agreed value of $202320 (the purchase price) and will cost an exorbitant $4200 a year. NRMA would also insure but for a $4500 premium and an agreed value of $165k only. CommInsure who in December agreed to cover the full $202k for a premium of $1600 a year reneged now that I wanted to firm it up. Tesla themselves have not been helpful at all unfortunately.

Does anyone with the same model here have a contact I could peruse for a quote? I have a 30+ year driving history with 0 claims and 0 accidents (and 0 points).

This is bizarre. The statistics of that premium would indicate a 1 in 50 chance of a write off... Considering Tesla's show less than half the average accident probability this seems like a rip off of epic proportions.
Pretend you live in a middle class suburb.

commonwealth (=comminsure) now won't cover any vehicles above a certain value after initially offering insurance in December for $1500 pa, which was a really good offer. They declined to disclose what that limit was, but $202320 apparently is over it. And no @JayTee, $4200 is not reasonable. That is 1/50th of the value of the vehicle. I've insured my wife's Lexus RC350 for $90k for which the premium is $1100 pa, that's ~ 1/80th of the value. The same ratio should result in a $2500 premium for the Tesla, that would be reasonable. And that's not even taking into account that the Tesla's probability of being in a write-off accident is half that or less than for the Lexus. We're being taken for a ride and Tesla are doing nothing about it. They really should put their weight behind this, or at the very least offer their own insurance like every other car manufacturer does.

commonwealth (=comminsure) now won't cover any vehicles above a certain value after initially offering insurance in December for $1500 pa, which was a really good offer. They declined to disclose what that limit was, but $202320 apparently is over it. And no @JayTee, $4200 is not reasonable. That is 1/50th of the value of the vehicle. I've insured my wife's Lexus RC350 for $90k for which the premium is $1100 pa, that's ~ 1/80th of the value. The same ratio should result in a $2500 premium for the Tesla, that would be reasonable. And that's not even taking into account that the Tesla's probability of being in a write-off accident is half that or less than for the Lexus. We're being taken for a ride and Tesla are doing nothing about it. They really should put their weight behind this, or at the very least offer their own insurance like every other car manufacturer does.

But a Lexus RC350 is not comparable as a very high performance car which will push insurance up. The P100D is a mid 10 second 1/4 mile car, a better comparison performance wise would be a R35 GTR which is up near the 4k territory and a similar price. Cars like EVO's and WRXs often cost much more than 1/50 to insure.

...because they are cars for a certain character driven by a certain character. Those characters are the source of the insurance risk, not the vehicle. I take exception to be lumped in with that crowd, which is why the insurance company not using a statistical basis but some itinerant backpackers opinion feels like them adding insult to injury.

I'm running in to the same issue trying to insure a new Performance Model X that's to be delivered in March. Cheapest quote so far is ~5k. Entertaining the idea of going with just TCP if I can't find a reasonable quote.

yeah. disappointing. or infuriating (and lacks any scientific/statistical basis). as I stated before, itinerant backpackers coming up with premiums with the seat of their pants. sadly there's no real competition in the insurance market here (or the banking market...) hence we're stuffed.