Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Phone Mounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What phone mount do people use? I'm considering getting the Infotainment Upgrade as soon as it's available for AP2.0, so I'd like to have my phone ready in a comfortable position to use iHeartRadio and Radio.com.

I really like the ProClip USA mounts in my other vehicles. I normally go with the Adjustable iPhone Holder, but I'm tempted to try the Qi Universal Holder. However, I don't really see a clean way to leave the cable plugged in if I use the AC vent between the MCU and IC.

Adjustable iPhone X Holder
Scosche Qi Universal Holder with ProClip Adapter

The ProClip one does block that vent somewhat and I used it for years. I think it’s the best bet if you want the phone in line of sight. I removed it for the upgrade and haven’t reinstalled it since I originally got it when the maps weren’t as good as they are now (used google maps on the phone then) and now we have text to speech for text messages.

I do like the ProClip mount that allows you to slide in the phone and automatically get the charge cable docked. If you get one of these, get the one that is adjustable so you don’t need to repurchase every year when the phone is a few millimeters wider or you change the case.

One of my biggest complaints about the interior of the MS is the lack of phone mount options, even from third parties.

• The center console OEM option is in a terrible location.
  • ProClip was always my favorite in previous cars. I had the one that mounted to the center console which blocked the volume buttons and obstructed some of the view. I took it off. I couldn’t get an adjustable center console universal from ProClip to fit nicely on the MS.
  • I don’t want to block vents and air flow.
  • I have one of these now but also includes Qi wireless charging. Taptes sells them but couldn’t find it on Amazon. I like the cup holders which is another pain point of the MS interior. Phone isn’t at a great angle but now that Spotify and SMS integration is available, it’s less of an issue :Jaronx for Tesla Model S/Model X Center Console Storage Box, Insert Organizer Tray+Cup Holder (Fit: Tesla Model S/Model X 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016)-Upgraded Tesla Model X/S Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R2JXTJF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZiOTEbDV3ZZFR

Reactions: avesraggiana
I use the Abstract Ocean Magnetic Phone Holder. I mounted mine right near the glove box button. I thought about mounting near the hazards button so it would be easier to reach but the steering wheel is in the way so you can't reliably see the phone.

Magnetic Phone Holder (Slimline)
I 2nd, 3rd and 4th the Abstract Ocean mount. Had it in both of the 2013s, and just added one to the new 2020.

One of my biggest complaints about the interior of the MS is the lack of phone mount options, even from third parties.

• ProClip was always my favorite in previous cars. I had the one that mounted to the center console which blocked the volume buttons and obstructed some of the view. I took it off. I couldn’t get an adjustable center console universal from ProClip to fit nicely on the MS.
  • I have one of these now but also includes Qi wireless charging. Taptes sells them but couldn’t find it on Amazon. I like the cup holders which is another pain point of the MS interior. Phone isn’t at a great angle but now that Spotify and SMS integration is available, it’s less of an issue :Jaronx for Tesla Model S/Model X Center Console Storage Box, Insert Organizer Tray+Cup Holder (Fit: Tesla Model S/Model X 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016)-Upgraded Tesla Model X/S Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R2JXTJF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZiOTEbDV3ZZFR

New user, new owner, first time poster here :)

I got the Taptes. Had it for a week, total trash to be honest. I posted a Q on Amazon about why it doesn’t charged and a half dozen immediate other buyers had nothing good to say, so I immediately returned it. hence I’m here now searching for a viable mount.
I really would love a magnetic mount that has wireless charging. Which I have found, but now I don’t want to block the AC vent ‍♂️

New user, new owner, first time poster here :)

I got the Taptes. Had it for a week, total trash to be honest. I posted a Q on Amazon about why it doesn’t charged and a half dozen immediate other buyers had nothing good to say, so I immediately returned it. hence I’m here now searching for a viable mount.
I really would love a magnetic mount that has wireless charging. Which I have found, but now I don’t want to block the AC vent ‍♂️

Interesting. I’ve had a few issues but it always seems to the placement of the phone. TBH, wireless charging is dumb in a car unless you take long drives. It’s too slow for short drives and if you need to be charged up quickly, wired is always better. I find wireless charging good for overnight or at my desk at work where it sits for 8 hours.

• Helpful
Reactions: MIT_S60

I have the Jaronx thingy too. It's not completely satisfactory; as you said, nothing third party really is. I don't even use mine for my phone. I've just kept mine in my car, unused, because it would kill me to throw it away after having spent 19.99.

I use the Abstract Ocean Magnetic Phone Holder. I mounted mine right near the glove box button. I thought about mounting near the hazards button so it would be easier to reach but the steering wheel is in the way so you can't reliably see the phone.

Magnetic Phone Holder (Slimline)

I 2nd, 3rd and 4th the Abstract Ocean mount. Had it in both of the 2013s, and just added one to the new 2020.
Is there a current version of this for sale somewhere? I tried the link as well as searching on their site, but they seem to have shifted to primarily offering products for the Model 3 and Model Y.