TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S - Pictures of Silver Paint Option

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by chmod a+wrx, Aug 15, 2012.

1. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

Now being interested in silver (all this discussion of blue and how to maintain a dark colored car), I tried to compile a bunch of pictures of the silver all in one. Here are some of them.

If you have others, please post!!!!

silver10.jpg silver1.jpg silver2.jpg silver3.jpg silver4.jpg silver5.jpg silver6.jpg silver7.jpg silver8.jpg silver9.jpg

2. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

#2 mulder1231, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    Couple of pictures from Palo Alto event last weekend of silver and white cars. I was surprised how bright the silver looked in the full sun, easily mistaken for white in the second picture.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345045750.514694.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345045832.583163.jpg

3. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

Anyone with pictures of the silver with standard wheels????

4. ddruz

ddruz Member

There are a whole bunch of good silver shots here from Denver: http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u484/opnav/Tesla%20Denver%20Get%20Amped%20Event/?start=0

We don't have any pictures of silver with pano roof and silver wheels, either 19" or 21", which IMO will be much sharper looking than the pano roof plus dark performance wheels. To my eye dark performance wheels don't complement silver on Model S well at all like they do with some of the other colors. Here are 2 more pics with 19" wheels and hard top not elsewhere referenced on this thread. The second is a beta.

7761967544_e31b30733b_k.jpg IMG_2925.JPG

And here's a link to an article by a car detailer about which colors are easiest to maintain and hide dirt best: http://www.best-auto-detailing-tips.com/car-paint-colors.html

5. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Here's a photo I took in Palo Alto showing both the silver with the hard top and 19" wheels, and silver with the Pano roof and the grey performance wheels. I think the 19" wheels look great with the silver.

IMG_0288.jpg

6. MikeK

And, for what it's worth, here's a shot from the previous Palo Alto event, comparing white with 19" wheels to Silver with 21" silver wheels.

IMG_0124.JPG

7. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

I'm not a big fan of chrome......so the silver seems to hide the chrome look whereas the darker colors accentuate the chrome.....

Pacific blue....still a beautiful car color.....

8. Duckjybe

Duckjybe S P232

Some from Toronto. I like the way the silver shows off the the details in the front end, making the car look very distinctive. The darker colours hide those features a bit.

IMG_2549.jpg IMG_2558.JPG IMG_2559.JPG

9. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

I drove on the 101 and saw a silver tesla from so far away. It was really obvious. I sped up to make sure and yup it was a tms. I love silver with any wheels. Great color. Very different silver than BMW in person. I think it looks like an Aston. If I didn't get white/black contrast for sportiness that would be my pick for class.

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Silver is also best for those of you who don't like the chrome trim. The chrome essentially vanishes against the silver.

11. MikeK

I discovered something interesting late last night, as I was stressing out about paint colors. ;)

I discovered that if you delete the chrome strip under the doors, the silver and white cars look much better to my eye. I like this so much that it put silver back in the running for me as a color. By the way, I dropped by Menlo Park on the way to work this morning, and as I pulled into the left turn lane to turn into the location, I was right behind the Silver Performance car! It looked great. I would urge anybody thinking about silver to see the car in person. To my eye, it's a bit drab in photos, but in person it's really pretty.

Here's a Photoshop example without the chrome under the doors (on the front car, with the 19" wheels). Compare to my photo above.

IMG_0288.jpg

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Probably something that would be easy to do with a bit of dark vinyl wrap.

13. MikeK

My thoughts precisely. And if I end up with silver or white (leaning towards silver now), that's exactly what I plan to do.

By the way, the shot of #59 above (in the parking garage) also shows the effect. That car was missing the chrome piece.

14. Chris

Chris Member

Mike,
    Totally agree that the silver looks stunning in person. This is my choice now. Had considered the blue which is beautiful but for me it makes the car look too business like. Silver is way more futuristic. My favorite styled car brand, besides Model S :biggrin:, is Aston Martin. Interestingly, the majority of those are silver (including the Bond cars...).

The chrome stripe on the Model S is not pretty but I will learn to live with it.
    I am undecided on the paint armor. It will be useful here in the NE but I could clearly make out the lines even on the silver car. I heard TM does not recommend it on white cars anymore?

PS Thanks for the lift :wink:

15. MikeK

I need to stop looking at my own pictures. Looking at the white in my photos next to the silver, I find that I like the white better. But in person, the silver is really pretty. It has movement and depth that the non-pearl white doesn't have, and I think the black panoramic roof fits well with the silver. I'm not sure how the flat white will look with the pano -- haven't actually seen one -- at the Get Amped events, only the pearl white car has had the roof. I will say that I saw a white BMW M5 the other day with a black roof, and it looked really hot, but in a sort of aggressive race car way.

As for the film, at the Menlo Park showroom today, I literally thought they had pulled the film off the front of the car -- it was that invisible. I did see it elsewhere, especially on the mirrors, where there was a little dirt at the edge. I used my fingernail to just scrape the dirt away, and then it was much less visible. So, it probably will require a periodic little tweak like that to keep the armor looking good. I saw the edge on the green car inside where a little wax had collected. Same sort of issue.

As for the lift, any time! :D

16. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Don't look back Mike! Silver is great. I'm kinda surprised I didn't get it :) If I had silver wheels I would for sure! Tesla has outdone itself with options. You can go super contrast sporty like me with black n white or totally classy and futuristic with silver.

17. ddruz

ddruz Member

And for those considering silver, as a practical bonus it may have the lowest total cost of ownership over time depending on how gleaming you require your car to be. Silver shows dirt the least of all Tesla colors and therefore needs to be washed the least frequently to stay looking very nice. Add up all those saved washes and you more than pay for the $750 premium over white or black in a few short years and are immediately ahead in wash costs compared to the other lovely metallic colors. This may not be much of a consideration for the wealthier members of the forum but it is a nice plus for those of us who both love silver on Model S and will be making a stretch to buy and maintain the car.

18. MikeK

I asked a detailer if I should get white or blue for ease of maintenance. Without a second's thought, he said, "white." then, after a moment, he said, "Unless you get silver. That's even better."

19. Chris

Chris Member

Finalized

I just finalized my order. P1690: Silver performance, grey 21" wheels, pano roof, tech, stereo. Feels a bit unreal after all the years of waiting. (The only thing that sours my anticipation is the maintenance issue. Still believe they charge too much)

20. MikeK

Out front of my office right now, there's a white M5 with a black roof, and a white Audi A4. Man, they look nice. I am officially waffling again. :crying: Today's the day, though. Decision day.