TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Pinewood Derby Car

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ZestyChicken, May 5, 2014.

1. ZestyChicken

ZestyChicken Member

I thought this might be a fun project but I am quickly finding that I lack the necessary skills. Are there any engineers out there that might be interested in working on this? Ideally someone with a CNC machine that can do 3D objects. I was thinking it would be cool to create maybe a run of 20 or so and sell them on here for a nominal price to offset the development time/cost.

I found a very good 3D model of the Tesla here:
    Tesla Model S 2012 3D model - Humster3D

This would then need to be modified to pinewood derby specs (H/W/D) and probably the wheelwells altered to fit the pinewood derby wheels/axles.

Again, much of this is beyond my present abilities, but I'm sure there are engineers on here that might think this is a fun project. I have a year until our next race...

Anybody up for a collaboration?

2. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

I might try this on my CNC. A 3D print would be fun to try as well but I don't have a 3D printer. They don't seem to offer an STL file option though and that is what you would want for CNC or 3D print.

3. ZestyChicken

ZestyChicken Member

It looks like you can request other formats. I suspect somewhere there are converters. Let me know if you think it would be worth pursuing. I certainly can front the cost of the 3D file.

Also, there are other files out there but this once seemed the best and was more reasonably priced.

4. 2kids10horses

2kids10horses Member

My son and I got pretty good at Pinewood Derby. After finishing dead last in his pack when we started, we finished 5th in the Council when he was a WEBLOS.

The challenge to the Model S design is the wheels are inboard, as in within the fender. That requires a wide piece of wood. We always started with the standard block of wood in the kit.

The key to speed is the wheels and axles. And where you place the weights.

5. Ssssly

Ssssly Member

How about this option. Might take a little longer to get a clean file but appears to be a low cost option that can provide an stl file.

http://www.123dapp.com/create

6. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

We did a "Model S" like vehicle for my son's pinewood derby earlier this year. He still loves the car, but I wish it had turned out better (like said above, a wider piece of wood would have been better).
    We did it all with chisel and dremel work, and put a slab of weight in the bottom where the battery pack would go.
    IMG_4150.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

7. ZestyChicken

ZestyChicken Member

Be fun to have a cutout on the button and use a 9V battery for weight rather than the standard tungsten.

8. 2kids10horses

2kids10horses Member

Where's the pano roof?