Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid 19" vs 21" rear inner tire wear question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been searching...haven't found much info. Wondering if Plaid owners with the factory 19"wheels/tires have had much problem with early tire wear; especially the inner rear tire surfaces? I see threads but most mention the factory 21" wheels/tires with the wear issues. Thanks!

Reason would indicate when properly aligned, balanced and inflated; you will have fewer problems with the 19's. Haven't heard much from 19" Plaid owners so it is likely that reasoning Is sound. Planning to order a Model S Plaid soon and was leaning heavily toward the 19's and will likely go that route. Had a 2020 Model 3P so not a fan of low profile tires. They corner better but in all other areas they are rough day to day.

Reactions: aerodyne
20s do it too, just not as fast.
Do you have 20's on your car?
I do and I have about 20k on the clock. 1st set of tires and even wear throughout.
275/35/20 Michelin PS4S.

Do you have any data indicating that 20's have this issue also?

Here's my rear inners at 17k
Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 7.15.31 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 7.15.24 PM.jpg

Do you have 20's on your car?
I do and I have about 20k on the clock. 1st set of tires and even wear throughout.
275/35/20 Michelin PS4S.

Do you have any data indicating that 20's have this issue also?

Here's my rear inners at 17k
View attachment 912829View attachment 912830

I've mentioned it before, my 21s and 20s used to wear unevenly until I had the camber & toe arms installed.

If you don't have adjustable camber arms and your 20" tires are wearing evenly then you are lucky.

Have both 19" and 21" wheels on our four Palladium MS's, two Plaids, two LR's, one with each wheel size.

ONLY the 21" on the Plaid has the inner sidewall "lathing" issue. Both rear tires were replaced under Michelin's tire warranty, at minimal cost, due to unexplained air loss of ~1 to 3 psi per week. (FYI: A second "dunk" test revealed pin-hole leakage along the "lathing" area, suggesting internal tire delamination of both rear Plaid tires.)

Filed NHTSA complaint as well, as should all with the 21" tire failure issues . . . these tires need to be off the road ASAP, replaced with a tire designed for the loads imposed by the Plaid.

I had a 2014 P85DL with 19”. I sold it with 45,000 miles on OEM MX4’s which still had wear left.
My 2021 Plaid S also has 19” showing no measurable wear, but low mileage at 5,000.
I’m certain that 21” have significant wear problems and susceptibility to unusual wear patterns because of the very low bias, which exacts very high cost for slight improvements in handling, worse ride and road hazard sensitivity.

FWIW, almost all the problems disappear after going to 19”

In context, a long history with high performance cars has made me choose higher bias tires every time I could, using aftermarket wheels when necessary. Those don’t look so cool, but they are far less expensive, more durable and ride better too. A side benefit is the improved economy. Even the EPA numbers Tesla displays show that improved electron economy.
When buying a new one the 19” is cheaper too.

Even aftermarket wheels plus tires are cheaper than replacing the 21’s.

We are currently on a road trip in California. We drive a 2021 extended range model S with 21” wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 295/30 ZR 21 tires. All are original equipment. Both of the rear tires failed with inner wear exposing the underlying structure of the tire. Fortunately they went flat (not at the same time) over a few hours so we did not drive at highway speeds as they failed. We are of course having them replaced, but we intend to replace with 19” wheels when we get home. I am done with performance tires. Has anyone had a similar experience? Has anyone swapped wheels like this? Any insight on how to dispose of the existing wheels? Thanks

You can easily put the wheels up for sale. Somebody would probably want them. For $200 in parts, I took care of the issue with my 2022 Plaid. I just went with the Macsboost camber kit. It took about an hour to put in and I had an alignment done and so far, 2k miles later, my tires still look great. First set only lasted 5k miles and wore down to the cords. They (Macsboost) might have something similar, or someone else has a similar product, if excessive camber is an issue for pre-refresh cars. I didn't want to spend a grand on a set of camber arms which was overkill and just another reason for Tesla not to touch my car for warranty work in any associated area.

While some blame the Michelin tires, I think it is mostly camber and toe based on how well it is working for me. The 21" tire has less sidewall and is stiffer so less likely to roll the tire a bit and basically sits more on that edge all the time due to the negative camber.

You can easily put the wheels up for sale. Somebody would probably want them. For $200 in parts, I took care of the issue with my 2022 Plaid. I just went with the Macsboost camber kit. It took about an hour to put in and I had an alignment done and so far, 2k miles later, my tires still look great. First set only lasted 5k miles and wore down to the cords. They (Macsboost) might have something similar, or someone else has a similar product, if excessive camber is an issue for pre-refresh cars. I didn't want to spend a grand on a set of camber arms which was overkill and just another reason for Tesla not to touch my car for warranty work in any associated area.

While some blame the Michelin tires, I think it is mostly camber and toe based on how well it is working for me. The 21" tire has less sidewall and is stiffer so less likely to roll the tire a bit and basically sits more on that edge all the time due to the negative camber.

My kit will be here next week, glad to hear they are working

My kit will be here next week, glad to hear they are working

Awesome. I hope it goes well for you. I can't say the camber kit is a one size fits all for the camber kit but more like a one size fits most. :)

So if someone has an incredible amount of negative camber, who knows with Tesla, then this might not get them far enough. For me, I couldn't be happier. Some may need ajustable camber arms. I didn't and this is the best few hundred Benjamins I've spent on the car. Far and away the best ROI for anything I've done to the car so far. Rear tires alone were costing me about 33 cents a mile or about 10 times what I was spending for energy.