Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid 21" Pilot Sport 4S (wet/cool) road noise making me insane.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
OK so up until this weekend, I'd really not driven in both the rain and cold (40-50F) yet in the Model S. Now that this has happened, the road noise is utterly unbearable, like an intermittent woah-woah-wooooah-wooah-woah sound. My wife picked up on it immediately today (first time she's ridden with me in these conditions). It's hard to explain, and it greatly depends on the road surface. Rougher asphalt it's much louder on, and new asphalt it's basically silent over, but it's utterly maddening the rest of the time, - audible from around 10mph (!!) upward.

Anyone else notice this? I'm wondering whether for my sanity if I should switch tires for the winter, but I never recall having this issue with my Model 3 Performance with the Pilot Sport 4S through the Seattle winters...

Last edited:
Reactions: electrongofast
@WilliamG Rock hard summer tires? Water causes heat to transfer out of the tire faster than when it’s dry, temperatures being the same. No issue running the Conti ProContact RX all seasons on my Plaid and MYP in your Seattle neighborhood here. Ran them to and from the ocean the last three days in wet, windy 38 degree conditions. Perfect.

@WilliamG Rock hard summer tires? Water causes heat to transfer out of the tire faster than when it’s dry, temperatures being the same. No issue running the Conti ProContact RX all seasons on my Plaid and MYP in your Seattle neighborhood here. Ran them to and from the ocean the last three days in wet, windy 38 degree conditions. Perfect.
No, doubt it. Still tons of grip.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I remembered I saw somewhere in the forum that people mentioned humming noise coming from Pilot Sport 4S tire on refreshed Model S due to the width of the tire. Not sure if it only happened on 21" wheel or/and 19"

I am also considering change my stock summer tire to A/S tire, the OEM A/S tire (Continetal ProContact) has lots of bad review on TireRack though and I am seeking to alternative as well.

I remembered I saw somewhere in the forum that people mentioned humming noise coming from Pilot Sport 4S tire on refreshed Model S due to the width of the tire. Not sure if it only happened on 21" wheel or/and 19"

I am also considering change my stock summer tire to A/S tire, the OEM A/S tire (Continetal ProContact) has lots of bad review on TireRack though and I am seeking to alternative as well.

Should have this problem solved when these are delivered. Just waiting on them to arrive. Wasn't interested in the Continental ProContact A/S. No thank you, sir!

Should have this problem solved when these are delivered. Just waiting on them to arrive. Wasn't interested in the Continental ProContact A/S. No thank you, sir!

but they are out of stock for a long time and I can not wait since I am traveling to Tahoe every weekend. sign... why not Contenental ProContact A/S? they are currently in stock at TireRack

but they are out of stock for a long time and I can not wait since I am traveling to Tahoe every weekend. sign... why not Contenental ProContact A/S? they are currently in stock at TireRack
Because all-seasons are just not particularly great at any one thing. Prefer winters in the winter, and high performance summer in the summer. The PS4S are mind-blowingly good in the warmer months. Car and Driver achieved 1.08g lateral grip on them with the Plaid - which is remarkable.

Anyone else with road noise issues on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? Today, 48F and slightly damp roads and the noise (howling) was pretty deafening, even over mid-level music. Is this normal for these tires in these conditions on this car, or is it something else that's plain messed up with my car?

Still waiting on the winter set of wheels so I have nothing to compare to...

@WilliamG , I had mine installed about a week ago. Running 10.5x20 with 285x35x20 and 11x20 with 305x35x20 and 40 to 41psi like you. I'm finding there's considerable howling from the tires between 60 and 70mph. I've found this on all of the freeways. Outside of that speed band I'd say they road noise is fine. I've emailed Michelin to see if they have any feedback on whether or not I can expect this to continue. I might ask for a refund if the answer is yes. Really quite disappointed, as they weren't cheap, and I was really happy with my summer Pilot Spot 4S on my Model 3 :(

Edit: Just to add that the temperatures here have been mostly below freezing, and there has been varying levels of salt on the roads. I've experienced the howl in wet and dry weather.

Last edited:
  • Informative
As a final update, finally had my wife record the road noise today. Absolutely deafening, even over music. It even causes a fight/flight response now from me it's so bad. Decided if it is the wheels/tires it's certainly due to them being defective, but this may be a bearing issue or something else. Turn your volume up. Ouch.

Dry and 50F out. This is not normal.

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc and jebinc