Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid All Season 19" Tire Options/Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

XHokie

Supporting Member
May 27, 2016
NoVA
I'll soon be taking delivery of a Model S Plaid and had a question about all-season tires I'm hoping someone can advise/answer...

My MS Plaid will have 19" Tempest Wheels w/ summer tires (staggered configuration) 255/45 front and 285/40 in the rear. I want to swap the summer tires out for all-season tires and the only one I can find online that can exactly fit the "factory specs" are the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires; they come in the exact sizes noted above.
  • While the overall reviews for the Michelins are very good for these tires, many of the Tesla owner reviews complain about a lot more road noise with these tires. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
If I want to instead go with the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 Plus tires, which also have stellar reviews and less complaints about road noise, the only size option that comes close on the rear tires are, 275/45 or 285/35 but a load index of 99Y SL (not XL), compared to 285/40 from factory.
  • Will this be a problem for the rear factory wheels and/or cause issues while driving?
  • Will range be dramatically impacted by going to different rear tire size compared to the factory spec?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. TIA!

Reactions: Vettepartz
I have them. Mich AS Sport are as quiet as the Pirelli Summer tires. BOTH the Pirelli and the Mich AS Sport can OCCASIONALLY howl, but the Mich AS Sport does it slightly more often. It doesn't do it often enough for me to not consider either tire. It is a very strange phenomenon, you assume it must be different road surfaces. But It will be howling, the road texture changes a lot and the howl continues. Yet it tends to do in the same locations. If the Pirelli's don't howl much on the roads you drive, you'll probably be fine with the Mich AS Sport. If they howl a lot and it bothers you, don't get the Mich AS Sport.

The Mich AS are slightly less efficient than the Pirelli.

I don't think it's wise to go with a non XL tire. The Mich AS Sport are very good tires.

There might be a bonus with the Mich AS Sport. But I'll share that after a bit more testing. I keep swapping between both tires trying to decide which to keep. I plan on running snows on the rims I remove tires from :)

I am a huge fan of Conti DWS O6 tires and have had them on a couple of my previous cars and wanted them on my Plaid but they didn’t make them in the size I wanted so I got the Michelins you are looking at.

When I first got the Michelins they did howl/hum a bit but after a little while, like some on this forum that I read about, the howling/humming went away. So far after 8k miles I’m happy with them.

Reactions: XHokie
i have the Michelin PS4 All seasons and they were noisier than usual for the first 1000 miles or so. Not noisy anymore. Also the howl only happens on certain types of tarmac I’ve noticed.

as for size, do not exceed 28.5” diameter in front. And do not go lower than 102 load rating.

I have them. Mich AS Sport are as quiet as the Pirelli Summer tires. BOTH the Pirelli and the Mich AS Sport can OCCASIONALLY howl, but the Mich AS Sport does it slightly more often. It doesn't do it often enough for me to not consider either tire. It is a very strange phenomenon, you assume it must be different road surfaces. But It will be howling, the road texture changes a lot and the howl continues. Yet it tends to do in the same locations. If the Pirelli's don't howl much on the roads you drive, you'll probably be fine with the Mich AS Sport. If they howl a lot and it bothers you, don't get the Mich AS Sport.

The Mich AS are slightly less efficient than the Pirelli.

I don't think it's wise to go with a non XL tire. The Mich AS Sport are very good tires.

There might be a bonus with the Mich AS Sport. But I'll share that after a bit more testing. I keep swapping between both tires trying to decide which to keep. I plan on running snows on the rims I remove tires from :)
I assumed the all seasons would be more efficient than the summers. Interesting.

I have a 2022 model s, not the plaid, that was delivered with the summer pirellis on the 19 inch wheels. The plaid uses the exact same size wheels and tires as the long range. I drove on the Pirellis for 3 months in the winter, very carefully, until Tesla swapped them for the all season Continentals. The Continental tires are available on Tire Rack. They are an exact size match for our cars. What I found was the Pirellis were noisiest when new and quieted down some by 3,000 miles, when they were swapped for the Continentals. I have driven a lot on Pirellis P0 tires on my old Volvos. They're good, but tend to be very noisy when new. The Continental tires were quieter when new than the Pirellis with 3,000 miles on them. After 5,300 additional miles on them, they are even quieter. I have no problems in the rain, or on entrance, exit ramps etc. Maybe I'd feel a difference on a track, but I don't drive there. The Continentals are T1 rated, which is a specific Tesla rating for the tires, I don't know why you didn't see them on Tire Rack. The relatively poor ratings for them are for non Tesla cars. My experience has been very good so far. These are the exact OEM tires... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/continental-procontact-rx

I'll soon be taking delivery of a Model S Plaid and had a question about all-season tires I'm hoping someone can advise/answer...

My MS Plaid will have 19" Tempest Wheels w/ summer tires (staggered configuration) 255/45 front and 285/40 in the rear. I want to swap the summer tires out for all-season tires and the only one I can find online that can exactly fit the "factory specs" are the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires; they come in the exact sizes noted above.
  • While the overall reviews for the Michelins are very good for these tires, many of the Tesla owner reviews complain about a lot more road noise with these tires. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
If I want to instead go with the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 Plus tires, which also have stellar reviews and less complaints about road noise, the only size option that comes close on the rear tires are, 275/45 or 285/35 but a load index of 99Y SL (not XL), compared to 285/40 from factory.
  • Will this be a problem for the rear factory wheels and/or cause issues while driving?
  • Will range be dramatically impacted by going to different rear tire size compared to the factory spec?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. TIA!
Michelin. PS+ on every Tesla I've had. Long life (50k+) and quiet and reasonably priced. But if you have a Plaid you're probably not too worried about that.

My 2022 SLR was shown to come with 19" all-season radials when I ordered it in July 2021 (delivered in December). But I recently checked out the Pirelli P Zero tires it came with and they are summer performance. The manager at the Tesla store told me that management had unilaterally decided to ship the car with summer tires to owners in climates that had mild winters. Thoug I live in S. California, I regularly drive to my vacation home at a ski resort (elevation 8,300 ft). Besides that, I find that my new Tesla seems to have significantly louder road noise than my previous 2018 S P100D (Michelin factory spec). I intend to demand they exchange the tires for the Continentals. Also, as has been noted in several other posts, Tesla's service has hugely degraded (my first S was a 2015 P90D). After the store manager didn't get back to me about the tire problem I went back to the Tesla store only to find it closed (no way can you directly call it anymore), I was told by a salesperson I finally spoke with that the store salespeople had been called to duty to help ship cars. And I think that my service appt (creaking rear seat) was arbitrarily rescheduled by TWO WEEKS for the same reason. This will be my last Tesla!