Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's possibly my favorite Track Mode feature. It's great when tearing up a twisty back road, you can maintain a much faster pace while minimizing use of the brakes. More efficient and feels better.

When you've been driving with Track Mode max regen for a bit, and then switch off Track Mode, you'll feel like "Where'd my regen go??" :p
Agreed, I prefer to use regen when hard on the track. ;)

1641149921368.png

Reactions: impastu and tm1v2
Agreed, I prefer to use regen when hard on the track. ;)

View attachment 751147
I thought the saying was: Wait until you see God, then count to 3, THEN brake. 😁

I never got to that level in my track driving. I was using my daily driver and only car, no cage / no track car crash safety, and I wanted to drive it home afterwards. Clearly I wasn't in it to win it. 🙃 With proper track pads and fluid the Brembo brakes in that car felt great, no issues (much less power and weight than a Plaid!), but I didn't have the guts to do true final-last-prayers late braking.

Last edited:
I thought the saying was: Wait until you see God, then count to 3, THEN brake. 😁

I never got to that level in my track driving. I was using my daily driver and only car, no cage / no track car crash safety, and I wanted to drive it home afterwards. Clearly I wasn't in it to win it. 🙃 With proper track pads and fluid the Brembo brakes in that car felt great, no issues (also much less power and weight than a Plaid!), but I didn't have the guts to do true final-last-prayers late braking.
Yes, I like that version... with strong faith to wait 3 seconds! ;)

1641152565514.png
1641152897938.jpeg

Reactions: impastu and tm1v2
Yes, I like that version... with strong faith to wait 3 seconds! ;)

View attachment 751168 View attachment 751172
Oooohhh, Laguna Seca. One of my strongest memories is from the 70’s when I was racing my faithful Z-1 Kawasaki. First time dropping into the corkscrew, like stepping thru the elevator doors and finding the car wasn’t there. Brilliant track: bike, car, shifter-cart, doesn’t matter.

At least one person says that 2021.44.30, which includes track mode and upping the max speed to 175 MPH, also greatly improves the braking feel.

@lolachampcar I'll be interested in hearing how you think the update impacts the feel once you get it.

It seems that they have added a large, and audible, notification for when it thinks the brakes are overheating, at least while in track mode, so that you aren't surprised. (And he said that they were still working OK.)

Last edited:
At least one person says that 2021.44.30, which includes track mode and upping the max speed to 175 MPH, also greatly improves the braking feel.

@lolachampcar I'll be interested in hearing how you think the update impacts the feel once you get it.

It seems that they have a large notification for when it thinks the brakes are over heating, at least while in track mode, so that you aren't surprised. (And he said that they were still working OK.)
So, would you say that many people would just drive around in "Track" mode instead of "Plaid" mode? I always drive around in Plaid mode now. :) And I wonder what it will be like and what the car's computer thinks IF you have better, aftermarket brake rotors & pads? Will it still show "brake temp high?" Would also like to see 0-60mph & 1/4 mi times in Track mode as this guy thinks it's much more controllable, much more stable -- better suspension and handing dynamics with much better braking performance, although he feels it's a tad slower in Track mode? 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: MattMac and impastu
So, would you say that many people would just drive around in "Track" mode instead of "Plaid" mode? I always drive around in Plaid mode now. :) And I wonder what it will be like and what the car's computer thinks IF you have better, aftermarket brake rotors & pads? Will it still show "brake temp high?" Would also like to see 0-60mph & 1/4 mi times in Track mode as this guy thinks it's much more controllable, much more stable -- better suspension and handing dynamics with much better braking performance, although he feels it's a tad slower in Track mode? 🤔
I suspect that track mode is limited to non-public roads, but maybe it’s an opt-in honor system question.

Chatted with Essex folks as well. Looks like it will be under 400MM so won't need 21 inch wheels. Might even fit under the 19s.

They also said the issue was overall pad size. Their pads will have almost double the surface area. Looking forward to another option.
Those calipers are so short that I would suspect 410mm rotors would fit on 19s with those calipers.

I think going with a caliper under 400mm is the wrong idea.

They have made 410mm kits for the GTR and the 992 GT3 gets 410s as well.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
We already know from model 3 that track mode won't be faster on the straight and with change of brakes whole brake temp warning loses any meaning and that's why there is a switch to turn it off. Moreover, it's very probable that track mode is lower power to let you run longer time on the track before it will overheat.

Those calipers are so short that I would suspect 410mm rotors would fit on 19s with those calipers.

I think going with a caliper under 400mm is the wrong idea.

They have made 410mm kits for the GTR and the 992 GT3 gets 410s as well.
Ideal would be for them to use the best available widest possible rotors and good performance ducts in the same AP BBK that clears 19 inch forged wheels.

Don't get fixated on diameter that much, it's not apples to apples comparison at all.

Essex Racing is developing an AP Racing RadiCal Caliper Big Brake kit, but have not yet determined the rotor size they will use.

They did say that one reason the brakes are so horrible is the factory pads which have no copper in them.

Interesting, I hope they post a video about their findings. I just realized that I live an hour away from Essex .... too late I got the Unplugged rotors already. Has anyone heard when they are shipping?

The brakes on this car getting killed. But believing that track mode is going to solve this problem is a fallacy. Look at the size of the calipers compared to the weight of the car and compare this to other performance occurs. They are not even in the realm of what they need to be.

The Unplugged Randy Probst car that they ran Pikes Peak in and Laguna Seca has:
  1. massive aero
  2. CF front brakes and looks to have rear calipers that are different and don't use the integrated parking brake.
  3. Front upper control arms (in development and should be out soon for the public)
  4. Big rear sway bar (available now)
  5. Bilstein modified dampers (in development and should be out soon for the public).

I guess they could have modified the computer, but I discussed this with Eric from unplugged and there is no mention of that.

Stability control is only going to come in based on what the suspension is doing. Camber, roll stiffness, and appropriate tires solve that issue.

I have the lap record for a car with doors with a highly modified C6 Z06 at one track, using Hooser A7 tires, suspension, aero, Brembos etc. I left full stability control on, didn't even need track mode as with Hoosier and proper suspension/aero, the car just stuck.
How is trackmode? Do you owe me a apology?

Reactions: oktane