Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I had looked at several brands and these are made for CNS Racing and using a ceramic mix ...different materials...different manufacturer...
Well, now I'm certain that it's an ad.

Because nowhere does it say anything about magic ceramic mix (what?) or manufacturer or materials. And you said it's just a friend recommendation. And also, photos of pads magically disappeared. And you copy pasted in few threads.

And that was your comment 2 months ago Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible! So you planned RB at the time and then, friend recommendation and you ended up with 2x price RB pads with magical materials and different manufacturer.

Feels like some special type of business.

Yeah those pads squeal I heard so I backed out
The picture of the pads on CNS website are taken right of the Racing Brake website. Same picture.

The only brake companies that so far have released pads for the Plaid are G-loc and Racing Brake. Both are way cheaper. CNS website also says these are for street and also have a track pad. Sounds like Racing Brake XT910 is what they are selling and can also get XT970 (like everyone else).

You can research XT910 as much as you like, they may be too much of a street pad, I ran them on my GT3 for autocross. Noise is definitely never been a complaint.

Reactions: impastu
There's a few other companies making Plaid pads ...Carbotech is another......
They are essentially the same as G Loc, same family.

But nobody sells pads the price of CNS, and gives no data about them like Mu/temp.

The are many great pad manufacturers that will make pads for you if supply them a template and order enough. At this price, from an unknown brake pad company, with no data, for street pads, at that price they are essentially trying to make money off those who do no research.

Reactions: impastu
I had a Taycan turbo s... Nice looking car fantastic breaks but the operating system in that car was absolutely horrendous. I think it was designed by a kindergarten student with a crayon.
Sold it back to the dealer and bought a model s plaid couldn't be happier.
I had a Taycan 4S and loved it but I couldn't take the daily bugs and stuff crashing all the time. I sold it as well and purchased a plaid.

I had a Taycan turbo s... Nice looking car fantastic breaks but the operating system in that car was absolutely horrendous. I think it was designed by a kindergarten student with a crayon.
Sold it back to the dealer and bought a model s plaid couldn't be happier.
I had a taycan turbo was just lemon law back by porsche nothing but issues got a plaid next day and got a 2nd plaid 2 months later truly love this car

i had 5 tesla S and X prior and when i got the taycan turbo nov 2020 was no plaid so figure give porsche a try ugh was not great

I had a taycan turbo was just lemon law back by porsche nothing but issues got a plaid next day and got a 2nd plaid 2 months later truly love this car

i had 5 tesla S and X prior and when i got the taycan turbo nov 2020 was no plaid so figure give porsche a try ugh was not great
TMC should have a reaction for “eloquent”

Hi Plaiders,

Just wanted to share a few updates!

Our Master Cylinder Brace has launched on the site, the machines will start cutting aluminum next week on those. They will also be anodized in MPP Blue as you'd expect!

1642085502268.png

As promised, we did a deflection test. With no brace, there was around 0.060" deflection at the firewall. With the brace, it was down to 0.009". The movement is also vertical as well as horizontal, and this was evident when we measured the pedal travel. With the brace the pedal travel was reduced 0.5" at 90 bar brake pressure, a pretty significant improvement if the rest of the system is fairly solid!

For those of you that are internet detectives and notice the brace is in the "OEM" picture below, the stopper foot has been threaded away from the master cylinder :)

Keep in mind if the pads aren't touching the rotors when you go to press the brake pedal, the brace won't do anything to help with brake feel!

1642085630304.png

And we've also added the OE 380mm front rotors which are in production now, and are about 4-6 weeks out.

1642085481397.png

We're loading the Plaid up on our Dynapack hub dyno now. While we won't be able to get fully into it until a high speed (4000Nm/2000Nm limit on the pods), it will be fun to see if we can notch over 1000hp on the dyno anyways (at higher speeds). That will be a record on our dyno!

Hi Plaiders,

Just wanted to share a few updates!

Our Master Cylinder Brace has launched on the site, the machines will start cutting aluminum next week on those. They will also be anodized in MPP Blue as you'd expect!

View attachment 755236

As promised, we did a deflection test. With no brace, there was around 0.060" deflection at the firewall. With the brace, it was down to 0.009". The movement is also vertical as well as horizontal, and this was evident when we measured the pedal travel. With the brace the pedal travel was reduced 0.5" at 90 bar brake pressure, a pretty significant improvement if the rest of the system is fairly solid!

For those of you that are internet detectives and notice the brace is in the "OEM" picture below, the stopper foot has been threaded away from the master cylinder :)

Keep in mind if the pads aren't touching the rotors when you go to press the brake pedal, the brace won't do anything to help with brake feel!

View attachment 755237

And we've also added the OE 380mm front rotors which are in production now, and are about 4-6 weeks out.

View attachment 755235

We're loading the Plaid up on our Dynapack hub dyno now. While we won't be able to get fully into it until a high speed (4000Nm/2000Nm limit on the pods), it will be fun to see if we can notch over 1000hp on the dyno anyways (at higher speeds). That will be a record on our dyno!
thanks, backordered the brace.

Reactions: MountainPass
Okay, so took the car in yesterday for poor brake performance. They tested it and said brakes are working “to spec” but then the tech tells me everyone knows the brakes are “not as great”. Said they cannot replace the brake booster with the new part

Tesla engineering should be ashamed of themselves for calling this “spec” :) anyway, hoping the Unplugged Performance replacements come soon!

Reactions: FlatSix911
Okay, so took the car in yesterday for poor brake performance. They tested it and said brakes are working “to spec” but then the tech tells me everyone knows the brakes are “not as great”. Said they cannot replace the brake booster with the new part

Tesla engineering should be ashamed of themselves for calling this “spec” :) anyway, hoping the Unplugged Performance replacements come soon!
I've had a couple of butt-puckering moments braking when some idiot pulled in front of me on two lane highway while I'm flying at relatively high speed on AP...was pleasantly surprised by the feel. two weeks in and driving reasonably conservatively to preserve Safety Score, so not enough experience to thoroughly opine.