Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Street compound GS1
I went for the R12 race compounds 😁

IMG_2269.jpeg

IMG_2270.jpeg

Save 10% on car kit (380/365) for Tesla Plaid F&R (P/N 2679 & 2435) Due to the vehicle wt and speed, this stock size kit is NOT RECOMMENDED FOR TRACK RACING "Regardless" other components upgrade such as pads, brake fluid, cooling kit etc.

Reactions: FlatSix911
So it’s been 3k miles on the new MPP brakes (stock size replacement) with the gloc red pads. Just love the braking power in these.

Only downside is that my safety score now thinks I brake hard all the time :)
Disclaimer - MPP upgrades may result in the loss of full self-driving beta privileges.

What was your safety score?? Hard to believe that it was 98+
Now I don’t know if this is repeatable or not, but once every few days I’d opt back in, drive around like a snail, get my 100 and opt back out.

Apparently, opting in and out multiple times didn’t reset my score each time. The system calculated a full rolling month’s scores and only had scores for the dates I was opted in! Not for the periods I opted out :)

Has any one did some tests for MPP 400mm kit vs UP 380mm kit with Pads. 60-0 stop distance?

I am just concerned about removing the dust shield for the 400mm and if it will cause any issues with heat on the speed sensor behind it. I know you can cut around it but not sure the shop will do that.

Has any one did some tests for MPP 400mm kit vs UP 380mm kit with Pads. 60-0 stop distance?

I am just concerned about removing the dust shield for the 400mm and if it will cause any issues with heat on the speed sensor behind it. I know you can cut around it but not sure the shop will do that.
There will be no difference in one time stopping distance between OEM and any aftermarket kit. Heat soak and fade is where there will be a difference.

Reactions: bhzmark

So the story is that you keep pushing idiot button, eventually it blows back.

The guy says that he gets a lot of regen. I think that pads were installed wrong and brakes were half pressed all the time. So he was powering through brakes. And stock fluid.

But, despite what you've been told by anyone, any brakes would give up on Plaid at the track at some point. Even well ducted ones.

It also might be that he just lost control being first time on a track mode and it had nothing to do with brakes.

Reactions: FlatSix911

So the story is that you keep pushing idiot button, eventually it blows back.

The guy says that he gets a lot of regen. I think that pads were installed wrong and brakes were half pressed all the time. So he was powering through brakes. And stock fluid.

But, despite what you've been told by anyone, any brakes would give up on Plaid at the track at some point. Even well ducted ones.

It also might be that he just lost control being first time on a track mode and it had nothing to do with brakes.
I also read he had one all season tire on the right front I think?

Reactions: juanmedina
Interesting news... I'm not sure that this will end well for the hackers. ;)

"A Tesla Model S Plaid that has been hacked to remove software limitations has reached a top speed of over 200 mph (and then some) for the very first time, delivering on Tesla’s promise. When Tesla first announced the Model S Plaid, its new top-performance flagship electric vehicle, the automaker promised a top speed of 200 mph (322 km/h). However, when it was first delivered last year, the vehicle “only” featured a top speed of 163 mph (262 km/h).

Earlier this year, Tesla released a new ‘Track Mode’ for the Model S Plaid that pushed the top speed to 175 mph (282 km/h).
As far as we know, this has been the fastest top speed a Tesla Model S Plaid or any Tesla vehicle has achieved to date. It’s not clear what is really preventing Tesla from enabling the promised 200 mph top speed. It could be the brakes, which Tesla is now offering to upgrade with a carbon ceramic kit for $20,000, or it could also be worries about the three motors or battery pack.

What is now clear is that Tesla wasn’t lying about the vehicle being capable of reaching 200 mph because I witnessed a Model S Plaid achieving just that this morning, but it wasn’t thanks to the automaker. Not only did they manage to achieve a top speed of 200 mph, delivering on Tesla’s promise for the Model S Plaid, but the electric vehicle achieved a top speed of 216 mph (348 km/h)."

Reactions: bhzmark

I plan on removing my Heat Shields entirely rather than cutting them.. Im down in Florida so its a non issue.. I really dont think it will affect much unless you drive in mud and rocks a lot regardless of where you live. As for the speed sensor, simply wrap it in aluminum heat wrap.. I bought some off amazon. Then you can keep your factory shields without modifying them, get the best heat reduction and have no worries..

Reactions: Ash83