Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Delivered Early!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time Jeep guy who just took delivery of our new Model S Plaid which wasn't supposed to be here until September. The app updated Jun 11-July 18 and next thing we know, we received a notification to schedule delivery. We previously had a 2020 Model 3 Long Range.

They offered Tesla's delivery service (here in Phoenix) and the guy said they normally deliver 8 cars per day but because it was nearing end of quarter, they had 40 to deliver today! That also meant he would only be spending 5 min to show us the features before his Uber took off with him. We actually got 8 min to review things while the Uber waited. lol. He did though provide his cell # and said to text or call him with questions/concerns. Thankfully our former time with the Model 3 gave us an advantage on how most of the basic Tesla features work and how they differ from normal cars.

Overall I'm very impressed with the car. I read some 2022 models didn't come with the tilt center screen, but ours did, so that was cool. There was 3 nit-picky items that didn't go so well - the 1st was they had already stuck the front license plate frame on the front of the car even though AZ doesn't use front plates. The frame uses 3 specialty security screws to hold the 2-piece design together, so after digging through the tool box, I was able to find the right bit and pull the front piece off, thinking there was going to be more of these screws laid deep into the bumper cover. We were pleasantly surprised that they didn't screw the 2nd piece to the bumper, but rather just used 2 long strips of super adhesive that took a heat gun, trim tool and a bit of time to get off.

The 2nd item was there was a deep scratch on the corner of the front bumper, which I didn't notice until after the brief drop off from the Tesla guy. I immediately texted him and he told us there is a 24hr/100 mile window to report any delivery concerns and to submit a Service claim immediately. We did so and got an appt for next Wed to take it in.

The 3rd item is subjective but they replaced the "PLAID" badge on the trunk, with the Spaceballs badge. Not a huge deal but it isn't so special when you can buy them on ebay for like $12. At least give us the narcissistic option to let everyone know it isn't just a normal Long Range model. 😂🤣

Of course I pulled the Aero Covers off immediately and began to order new wheels and tires, as well as make an appointment for tint to get us out of the fishbowl.

Photo Jun 22, 11 55 03 AM.jpg

Photo Jun 22, 9 37 32 AM.jpg

Photo Jun 22, 9 47 02 AM.jpg

Photo Jun 22, 8 54 02 AM.jpg

Congrats

The license plate is needed for Tesla to pass some crash test, same here in FL where we do not need it and we still get it delivered on new cars, it is easy to remove but some reported damaged paint under it. Still worth the risk for the look :)

That is a big scratch, also the paint looks has some decent swirl buff marks above it. Did you check with Tesla on build date? this might be someone's car that they rejected delivery of.

I personally would have rejected it because most likely Tesla will repaint the bumper and blend it, make sure they pick a good body shop to match the paint as the black soft paint is PITA.

Congrats

The license plate is needed for Tesla to pass some crash test, same here in FL where we do not need it and we still get it delivered on new cars, it is easy to remove but some reported damaged paint under it. Still worth the risk for the look :)

That is a big scratch, also the paint looks has some decent swirl buff marks above it. Did you check with Tesla on build date? this might be someone's car that they rejected delivery of.

I personally would have rejected it because most likely Tesla will repaint the bumper and blend it, make sure they pick a good body shop to match the paint as the black soft paint is PITA.
Ah, makes sense now. The delivery sales person had no clue.

I checked the VIN tag it and it does show build of June 22 and mileage was 11 miles, but who knows if that still means someone else saw it before me.
Photo Jun 29, 9 47 55 AM.jpg

My appt at the Tesla Service facility is in 30 min so I'll find out what their verdict is on the front bumper scratch.

In better news, tires/wheels and tint are done!

21x9 +27 front on 265/35R21
21x10.5 +38 rear on 315/30R21

Photo Jun 28, 3 30 55 PM.jpg

Reactions: Daniel454 and Ash83
06/22 is June 2022 I think, only a tesla SA can give the exact build date AFAIK. Just make sure to check the reviews of the body shop they will send you to so you can make sure they will do a good paint job.

Congrats on the wheels, looks great!!!