Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Delivery and First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Plaid for just a day now. 438 VIN. Currently stuck on 2021.12.4.9. Delivery was smooth and the person delivering was friendly and helpful.

I don't mind the yoke, but I don't really see the benefit. The usability of the turn signal buttons is OK, but I struggle with finding them without a quick glance. I shouldn't have to do this on such an expensive vehicle, but I think I am going to put some sort of "dot" or textured sticker to the left of them so I can easily tell which is which by feel.

Alignment of panels and such seem fine, much to my surprise. Car was delivered fairly spotless and clean, including some protective plastic still being around, which I don't mind since peeling it off is half the fun. The only "dirt" discovered were some dead bugs on the inside-side of the mirrors, I assume picked up during transport with the mirrors folded.

I have no rattles (yet). It is leagues quieter and smoother than my Model 3 LR AWD. The MCU is much more responsive. Though sometimes my "swap sides" button disappears and I'm not yet sure why or how to get it to come back. Switching gears on-screen isn't actually as bad as I expected.

Homelink was included on mine and setup was quick and easy. Samsung S21 phone paired via Bluetooth and as a key quickly and easily. Delivery included two key cards, two key fobs, and a pre-installed 128GB USB drive (looks like the one sold in the accessory store).

The vehicle is stupidly fast. I actually turned it down from Plaid to Sport, because it was too punchy and I felt like I was going to get myself in trouble. I don't honestly know if I will ever be able to truly "floor it" like I could in my Model 3, because it covers so much distance so fast I would run out of space. It seems like that power is available at pretty much any speed, too, and it is just mind-boggling instant and fast.

I'm new to the MS line, so the adaptable suspension isn't something I know much about just yet. I have it on Auto and it seems fine. I prefer Comfort steering, but that's just me.

So far, I am happy. I tend to be someone who goes through cars pretty quickly, changing cars quite often. I actually see myself keeping this for a long time as it really has all the amenities I like and I highly doubt I will ever need more power. Guess we'll see.

Reactions: headcase
Great minds think alike... I was already considering adding adhesive black dots to the left of the turn signals. Sucks to have to do that to a brand new six figure car, but minor in my opinion.

Black dots make no sense to me (unless I’m missing something...). You have to touch them to feel them and at that point they activate.

I’m going to guess most people prefer comfort setting for yoke steering. It’s way too heavy for a non-circular design otherwise. In my 3 I used Normal setting, - comfort was way too loose. Not so in the S.

Black dots make no sense to me (unless I’m missing something...). You have to touch them to feel them and at that point they activate.

I’m going to guess most people prefer comfort setting for yoke steering. It’s way too heavy for a non-circular design otherwise. In my 3 I used Normal setting, - comfort was way too loose. Not so in the S.
What I meant was to put them to the left of the touch area, probably on the lower one, just so I can find it by touch. The top isn't so hard because I just slide my thumb down and it's the first one I hit.

As of last night though, I'm slowly beginning to be able to hit them without a glance. So maybe it'll become moot in due time.

Reactions: WilliamG
What I meant was to put them to the left of the touch area, probably on the lower one, just so I can find it by touch. The top isn't so hard because I just slide my thumb down and it's the first one I hit.

As of last night though, I'm slowly beginning to be able to hit them without a glance. So maybe it'll become moot in due time.
Exactly. Planning on placing the dots to the left of the buttons.

@Dinosaurus I have had my Plaid for just a day now. 438 VIN. Currently stuck on 2021.12.4.9. Delivery was smooth and the person delivering was friendly and helpful.

I don't mind the yoke, but I don't really see the benefit. The usability of the turn signal buttons is OK, but I struggle with finding them without a quick glance. I shouldn't have to do this on such an expensive vehicle, but I think I am going to put some sort of "dot" or textured sticker to the left of them so I can easily tell which is which by feel.

Alignment of panels and such seem fine, much to my surprise. Car was delivered fairly spotless and clean, including some protective plastic still being around, which I don't mind since peeling it off is half the fun. The only "dirt" discovered were some dead bugs on the inside-side of the mirrors, I assume picked up during transport with the mirrors folded.

I have no rattles (yet). It is leagues quieter and smoother than my Model 3 LR AWD. The MCU is much more responsive. Though sometimes my "swap sides" button disappears and I'm not yet sure why or how to get it to come back. Switching gears on-screen isn't actually as bad as I expected.

Homelink was included on mine and setup was quick and easy. Samsung S21 phone paired via Bluetooth and as a key quickly and easily. Delivery included two key cards, two key fobs, and a pre-installed 128GB USB drive (looks like the one sold in the accessory store).

The vehicle is stupidly fast. I actually turned it down from Plaid to Sport, because it was too punchy and I felt like I was going to get myself in trouble. I don't honestly know if I will ever be able to truly "floor it" like I could in my Model 3, because it covers so much distance so fast I would run out of space. It seems like that power is available at pretty much any speed, too, and it is just mind-boggling instant and fast.

I'm new to the MS line, so the adaptable suspension isn't something I know much about just yet. I have it on Auto and it seems fine. I prefer Comfort steering, but that's just me.

So far, I am happy. I tend to be someone who goes through cars pretty quickly, changing cars quite often. I actually see myself keeping this for a long time as it really has all the amenities I like and I highly doubt I will ever need more power. Guess we'll see.
Similar experience and background here. Took delivery yesterday, 8/13!
E56777E1-0C89-4B76-A9E3-1D4509F78533.jpeg
BCBDFEFE-7945-46CE-B207-3C3C7544ADC4.jpeg

Regarding the yoke. I have had my Plaid for 2 weeks and 480 miles. I have learned to steer by underhanding the yoke for turns and cruising. I raised the yoke position slightly above “normal” and adjusted the distance so my elbow rests on the arm rest while my left palm touches the lower left part of the yoke. To turn, I press my palm into the yoke, open my fingers and am able to easily do max turns. Around town, I mostly put my left hand on top of the left side of the yoke to access the turn signals and it is a simple thing to return to the underhand position for turns. It took me a week before I was able to tap the correct signal without looking, most of the time anyway. The Velcro dot is a great idea, I wish I had known about it at first.
Selecting the alternate turn signal while going through a traffic circle IS problematic; but only if i need to switch signals. However, slowing way down solves the problem. It sure as hell isn’t a problem worth filing a complaint with the National Transportation Safety Board, unless you are a Karen. I especially like the extra panel visibility with the yoke and the fact that the air bag is more effective in an accident. I suspect most yoke users will adapt within the first few months, though it is important in the interim not to get distracted. To avoid being distracted with the new controls, I use the voice commands for almost everything that requires a look to touch. There are dozens of commands, though I am still looking for the one that disables the unexpected windshield wipers when I use the autopilot control wheel.

why did you order a vehicle knowing all the features that your orgasmically opposed to Having on a car? But you’re the kinda guy who notifies NHTSA about a feature you don’t like then I guess that makes sense.

Reactions: SO16
Plaid rates first, my model 3 rates tons better than early second-gen model S. I'm driving a loaner ( P100D), it is a pos compared to my 2018 3. The Plaid is that much nicer than my 3.
IOWs if you have not driven a Tesla that is a relatively new model... they are a much better driving experience.

I am absolutely blow away by the Plaid. One of the things I *wasn’t* expecting is relative to previous generation Model S and X, just how much LOUDER Bioweapon Defense Mode is now! Here in the Bay Area I keep it on quite a bit during the summer, with poor air quality from smog/wildfires/etc. In fact, today is yet another Spare the Air day. Conversely, it also seems you get a lot more air, than from the older cars with explicit vents. But all I can say is.. wow.. this puppy is loud, loud loud! :)

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Thanks for sharing. I agree that this car is awesome yet extremely dangerous. Combine the power with the yolk and you have a potential recipe for horrible disaster with inexperienced drivers. Even the base model S is as fast as an M5 Competition in 0-60 and Quarter mile. That is insanely fast. Part of the reason I did not buy the Plaid is that my wife will drive it occasionally and she does not have the skill to handle that much power period. (See what I did there). The reflexes it takes to react to anything with that much acceleration is extreme.
Why not just have her profile be set to sport or chill and yours set to plaid?

Last edited:
Regarding the yoke. I have had my Plaid for 2 weeks and 480 miles. I have learned to steer by underhanding the yoke for turns and cruising. I raised the yoke position slightly above “normal” and adjusted the distance so my elbow rests on the arm rest while my left palm touches the lower left part of the yoke. To turn, I press my palm into the yoke, open my fingers and am able to easily do max turns. Around town, I mostly put my left hand on top of the left side of the yoke to access the turn signals and it is a simple thing to return to the underhand position for turns. It took me a week before I was able to tap the correct signal without looking, most of the time anyway. The Velcro dot is a great idea, I wish I had known about it at first.
Selecting the alternate turn signal while going through a traffic circle IS problematic; but only if i need to switch signals. However, slowing way down solves the problem. It sure as hell isn’t a problem worth filing a complaint with the National Transportation Safety Board, unless you are a Karen. I especially like the extra panel visibility with the yoke and the fact that the air bag is more effective in an accident. I suspect most yoke users will adapt within the first few months, though it is important in the interim not to get distracted. To avoid being distracted with the new controls, I use the voice commands for almost everything that requires a look to touch. There are dozens of commands, though I am still looking for the one that disables the unexpected windshield wipers when I use the autopilot control wheel.
Voice commands: V10.2 Tesla Voice Commands - Google Drive